• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Potential Wizard bankruptcy???

271 posts in this topic

I would like to throw out the "Financial profile" of what I see at Conventions as far as "Buyers" go.

These numbers are after admission costs.

The $100 buyer. Am I seeing this buyer at my booth? Very rarely and they are generally looking at low grade, may buy one book. A lot of these buyers are the ones who ask "I'm just curious, how much is the AF #15?"

The $300 buyer - $300 buyers come with lists. Am looking for the most bang for the buck. Are generally afraid to buy something on the first day so they spend that day scouting out where to come back to. Wants to buy $1000 books but always pops out the wife will kill me. This is always the giveaway that they are not the $1000 buyer. People who pop out when I win the lottery drops them into the $100 camp.

The $1000 buyer - Wants to buy a key but is limited by the budget. Negotiates your lowest price and whips out the credit card.

The $3000 buyer - This used to be the cap of the low grade keys buyers. A lot of these buyers have the bank envelope of $100's in the jacket pocket.

The $10K + buyer - The few and far between. Generally takes a few looks but when they buy it is all business. Dealers can be your $10K buyer for the show so think about that check before you dismiss them.

The souvenier buyer - More and more of these at shows. Looking for something to get signed by a creator, buying a theme book or just find comics cool so they buy something. Not exactly the buyer who is in this for the long haul.

The social day out - This buyer has a poster, a big mug of unlimited root beer or a regular drink if alcohol is being served at the show. Cosplayers fall into this category. The event where Halloween is all year round.

I feel so worthless now. Used to be when I went to a show with a grand in my pocket I felt l mattered. I could have been a contender...

I would like to throw out the "Financial profile" of what I see at Conventions as far as "Buyers" go.

The $100 buyer. Am I seeing this buyer at my booth? Very rarely and they are generally looking at low grade, may buy one book. A lot of these buyers are the ones who ask "I'm just curious, how much is the AF #15?"

The $300 buyer - $300 buyers come with lists. Am looking for the most bang for the buck. Are generally afraid to buy something on the first day so they spend that day scouting out where to come back to. Wants to buy $1000 books but always pops out the wife will kill me. This is always the giveaway that they are not the $1000 buyer. People who pop out when I win the lottery drops them into the $100 camp.

The $1000 buyer - Wants to buy a key but is limited by the budget. Negotiates your lowest price and whips out the credit card.

The $3000 buyer - This used to be the cap of the low grade keys buyers. A lot of these buyers have the bank envelope of $100's in the jacket pocket.

The $10K + buyer - The few and far between. Generally takes a few looks but when they buy it is all business. Dealers can be your $10K buyer for the show so think about that check before you dismiss them.

The souvenier buyer - More and more of these at shows. Looking for something to get signed by a creator, buying a theme book or just find comics cool so they buy something. Not exactly the buyer who is in this for the long haul.

The social day out - This buyer has a poster, a big mug of unlimited root beer or a regular drink if alcohol is being served at the show. Cosplayers fall into this category. The event where Halloween is all year round.

I feel so worthless now. Used to be when I went to a show with a grand in my pocket I felt l mattered. I could have been a contender...

If it was the 90's, a G was pretty boss. Now criminals won't even bother to pick your pocket for just a G. They buy you a coke, pinch your cheeks, and call you 'cute'.

maybe they are the bubble canary in the coal mine. If the number of cons starts going down, that will be an interesting movement to watch. A decrease in the total business across the market, will always have an effect

That's one way to look at it, but not necessarily. There may be just as much business at a few fewer shows. For many their spending budget is kind of capped. They're going to spend $2K or whatever a year at shows. It could be at 2 shows or 4.

True, more shows might mean more intra-dealer business though. I'm just thinking from the ultimate collector perspective, but a dealer with good stuff may very well sell more to other dealers who don't necessarily have the same sort of budget constraints.

If it was the 90's, a G was pretty boss. Now criminals won't even bother to pick your pocket for just a G. They buy you a coke, pinch your cheeks, and call you 'cute'.

In the mid-90s I'd sometimes come in with $1500. I had no kids then and a pretty good job. I bought much better stuff than I do now.

maybe they are the bubble canary in the coal mine. If the number of cons starts going down, that will be an interesting movement to watch. A decrease in the total business across the market, will always have an effect

That's one way to look at it, but not necessarily. There may be just as much business at a few fewer shows. For many their spending budget is kind of capped. They're going to spend $2K or whatever a year at shows. It could be at 2 shows or 4.

True, more shows might mean more intra-dealer business though. I'm just thinking from the ultimate collector perspective, but a dealer with good stuff may very well sell more to other dealers who don't necessarily have the same sort of budget constraints.

Definitely agree, wasnt saying for sure, just something to watch. If a market switches from expansion to contraction, it is the periphery and the weak hands that feel it first. Hence smaller cons, or less stable companys/dealers will roll first.

Just something to keep an eye on. Would be interesting to see a YoY convention attendance stat, combining all the cons.

The souvenier buyer - More and more of these at shows. Looking for something to get signed by a creator, buying a theme book or just find comics cool so they buy something. Not exactly the buyer who is in this for the long haul. The social day out - This buyer has a poster,

a big mug of unlimited root beer

or a regular drink if alcohol is being served at the show. Cosplayers fall into this category. The event where Halloween is all year round.

This is the perfect Rant / Rave post but I think this one particular line deserves to be highlighted.

lol:roflmao:

The souvenier buyer - More and more of these at shows. Looking for something to get signed by a creator, buying a theme book or just find comics cool so they buy something. Not exactly the buyer who is in this for the long haul. The social day out - This buyer has a poster,

a big mug of unlimited root beer

or a regular drink if alcohol is being served at the show. Cosplayers fall into this category. The event where Halloween is all year round.

This is the perfect Rant / Rave post but I think this one particular line deserves to be highlighted.

lol:roflmao:

Ahh, yes. Ye 'ol beer mug. Root beer that is, because we all see how that fits into a con.

Hey Bob,

I got to ask given your comment on regional shows. There is the Denver Comiccon which I think you set up at, at least for the earlier shows. I have no ideal how business was for dealers but from the 1st year to this last one, it seems like the number of out of state dealers with older books has dropped quite a bit. I suspect it is because there were a lot more people looking and not buying but just curious.

Thanks

I have never done the Denver show (June 30th - July 2nd). While I do not have a conflicting show doing the show is a long drive and requires a leap of faith (Translation - layout of cash) hoping that it is worth the 2 days driving there and back. Also I would not be home for the 4th of July since the show ends on the 2nd.

When dealers do not come back to a show that generally reflects that they didn't make money, conflicting show that weekend or another show that is close to the date (Heroes Con for example is June 16th-18th) gives them a better show to do that month.

Only way to find that out is by asking them why they didn't come back.

PROMOTERS SHOULD READ THIS - If you want to see if a show is great or not watch the dealers that are lining up to pay for next years booth on Sunday.

A Regional show for me would be Carbo's NY shows or the shows being run in New Jersey. Having been to most of them I really don't see the financial benefit in setting up and twiddling my thumbs. Any show requiring a one day drive for me needs to be a multi day show and do numbers that beat me sitting at my desk drinking coffee and selling online.

Online is ALWAYS the most cost effective way to sell comics. However, if you want to get new customers, GET CASH and keep abreast of the market you need to do shows. My goal has always been to get customers to go to the website.

If all you do is online your world gets small and you lose track of what is going on in the market. If your website sales start slowing you suddenly think the comic world is ending. While I love the boards they are not totally reflective of what is going on. Some show reviews I've read make me wonder what show they were at. Sometimes a simple question to a few other dealers you are friends with might explain that they are or are not experiencing the same thing. Networking is still very important in this business. The same goes with networking with promoters. Listening to their side of the business can sometimes explain where they are coming from.

Bob, you're a one man show? No blood minions? Something like the Carbo winter fest (to which I have never been and I live in nyc and have a car...) isn't worth the 45 minute drive with a minivan of your long box books and a few boxes of less expensive wall books?

Here is the problem with one day shows Carbo, New Jersey shows.

Loading 42-45 boxes, 3 racks, supply boxes 4 times a day if a one day event. 4 times over a 2 day event.

Load them in the van, Drive to the venue. Park, unload all the stuff. Roll them into the show, set up the wall. Break down the wall, load the boxes back into the van. Drive them home, unload them out of the van and put them back on my shelves.

Online sales - Roll down the stairs. Boot on computer. Turn on coffee maker. Respond to bids. List books, make sales. Pack books. Drink more coffee. Transfer paypal payments into checking account. Rinse repeat.

You tell me. Which one would you do?

Loading 42-45 boxes, 3 racks, supply boxes 4 times a day if a one day event. 4 times over a 2 day event.

Load them in the van, Drive to the venue. Park, unload all the stuff. Roll them into the show, set up the wall. Break down the wall, load the boxes back into the van. Drive them home, unload them out of the van and put them back on my shelves.

Online sales - Roll down the stairs. Boot on computer. Turn on coffee maker. Respond to bids. List books, make sales. Pack books. Drink more coffee. Transfer paypal payments into checking account. Rinse repeat.

You turn your computer off? :baiting:

So what you're saying is the if the promoters offered free coffee you'd be more likely to do one day shows?

:insane:

I have publicly posted on fastbook that if I could change the they call coffee in this country I would.

Edible food at convention centers would go a long way.

Only convention center with decent convention food is Wizard New Orleans.

It is amazing what people call food and will eat in this country.

Did anyone ever go to the Minneapolis WW?

I live here but never made it. It was expensive, and I was never able to confirm if there were going to be any big out of town vintage comic dealers that weren't normally at the local, long-standing 2-day show that was two weeks later.

With two little kids, I could only make one of the shows, so I stuck with the local show (which is great for the price, but not real impressive if you are looking for GA).

Just wondering if I was missing anything, but it never sounded like there was much in the way of higher end dealers at the Minneapolis WW.

Definitely the Carbo Big Apple show. Nothing beats the atmosphere in the Penn Plaza.

Definitely the Carbo Big Apple show. Nothing beats the atmosphere in the Penn Plaza.

I've come to NYC for that show (and to visit friends). It's a decent little one day show for what it is.

I've come to NYC for that show (and to visit friends). It's a decent little one day show for what it is.

It's fine, but it would be finer in a better venue.