• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone agonize over having artwork just sitting in portfolios?

89 posts in this topic

In an ideal world (and apartment) I would have all my oversized pieces framed and then maybe 5 11X17 pieces with easily removable frames to do a rotation of 11X17 art. As it stands, everything is in folders. I am not proud of this statement, but I definitely don't agonize over that. I do agonize over what the heck kind of focus (or lack thereof) my collection has or needs. Right now, I'm all over the place.

I have all my originals in 2 portfolios. I have some sketches framed but no originals. My advice would be to frame a printout of any original you like and leave the actual original in the portfolio and just hang the print. Outer walls can warp art with temperature variances and light destroys it. It is for those 2 reasons I keep my art in portfolios. Also if you do frame, you need to be sure it is acid free matting/backing and some uneducated framer does not cut/glue or tape the piece in without your knowledge.

I'm a very new collector, I don't have a large number of items, so perhaps this question isn't for me, but I'll answer anyway.

The items I have framed are all commissions, all of my published pages are in a portfolio. From a straight economic perspective, it doesn't make sense to frame most of them as the frame and materials may double the investment I have in these starter / affordable pages.

Still, I'm happy to have the pages I have, and I look through them regularly. I imagine I'd feel the same even if I had art that was much higher up on the food chain.

I don't have unlimited wall space, so I have to be very choosey about what gets framed and put up on my walls. I don't go for 'overkill' so don't overload my walls with closely-grouped originals. Also, my wife doesn't approve of comic-strip originals being displayed outside of my man cave, though she's fine with the movie poster paintings I'm currently having matted and framed.

A lot of stuff resides in filing cabinets or itoya portfolios. Don't have a problem with this, as I regularly leaf through what I got.

no

actually i'm the opposite, i'm against framing if anything

out of interest...why?

Many reasons.

I don't personally like the look of art in frames (many times people hide the gutters/outside art area- which seeing those IMO is part of the attraction of OA).

I also don't like encapsulated comics for the same reason (the "plastic prison"). I like to be able to hold and examine the original art.

I had some art in cheap frames many years ago- the art became warped, I blame it on the frames. In general if pieces are glued down, wrong glass or backing board is used, etc- pieces can take damage. Now that I think of it, many years ago I had the glass shatter on a poster that was in a frame too.

Don't want to spend $ on good frames when that $ can go to more art. Also don't like the idea of giving someone my art to put in frames, especially if they don't know how to handle the collectible in general.

Personally I like having all the art uniform and in one place as much as possible so I can look at it all at once if I want.

Like any of my other hobbies, I don't want to see it everyday of my life (such as on my walls where I'm forced to look at it). I keep interest in all my hobbies that way- sometimes I forget about a certain thing for a few months or more so I don't get bored of it in the long term. I can come back and appreciate it more.

Add to that I don't have any mental roadblock that tells me if the art is packed away it is somehow a crime. I have lots of books, magazines, comics, papers, photos, etc packed away and can dig out if I want. Not a big deal to me.

I guess if I ever do want art in frames to display now and again I'll just take scans of the art and print it out, then throw it in simple and cheap frames.

All IMO. Just personal preference.

I must admit I don't own much art (6 pieces total), but with every buy it was always for framing and hanging it on the wall. Reading the other posts I guess I must be one of the few, but I really can't imagine why I would want a piece of art and not hang it on my wall.

I must admit I don't own much art (6 pieces total), but with every buy it was always for framing and hanging it on the wall. Reading the other posts I guess I must be one of the few, but I really can't imagine why I would want a piece of art and not hang it on my wall.

If you own a handful of originals going the framing route is a good option. When you own hundreds of originals the idea is totally impractical . . .

If you own a handful of originals going the framing route is a good option. When you own hundreds of originals the idea is totally impractical . . .

Or thousands :headbang:

:whistle:

or not

:whistle:

or not

Pack 'em in, Joe, and save on wallpaper! lol

Nope, I like portfolios. But what I don't like is having tons of repeats or lesser pages when I've alread picked up better in the last year. I go through my collection 2x a year and purge out material I have better examples of, or am no longer interested in. My end-state goal is to have like 30-40 great pieces of art, that's it. Always upgrading till I land the perfects, then I frame it. Actually was able to frame 3 pieces this year, the most i've framed in one sitting in almost a decade.

true. but why would you want hundreds of originals if you cant hang them on your wall for display ?