• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MILE HIGH ACTION #1 VS ALLENTOWN DETECTIVE # 27

92 posts in this topic

simply, which is more valuable?

the mile high action 1 has been quoted between 9.2 and 9.4

the allentown detective 27 has been quoted as an ultra high grade book[a 9.4 t0 9.6]

do you think the higher grade of the allentown detective #27 would make it overtake the mile high copy if the mile high copy came in slightly lower in grade than the tec27???..im talking in value...

confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't mean to be a downer, but is anybody else starting to find this repetitive? There are so many wonderful books in the world of GA (take a look at JB's "the other guys" thread), must we continually discuss the same 10 books that none of us are going to own anyway?

Don't mean to squash discussion. Just my two cents. shy.gif

I think the MH Action will always find a buyer more quickly in real time than the Det #27, but whether it will sell for more, well, that depends on the buyer.

These books simply do not have a "set" value or price and it is nothing less than arbitrary to predict which will do better on the open, or even closed, market. sleeping.gif

Does that put a damper in the conversation? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifflowerred.gif

I believe the MH Action #1 would most definitely go for more since it is a historically more significant book and also more well-known than the 'Tec #27. After all, it is an Action #1 and the other is issue #27 of some other title is how it would be viewed by the general public.

There are only 3 conditions under which the 'Tec #27 would go for more than the MH Action #1:

1) If by some unfortunate and stupid reason, the MH Action gets hit with a purple label;

2) The 'Tec #27 is graded 3 notches (ie. 0.6) higher than the MH Action #1; or

3) A higher graded copy of Action #1 is found than the MH copy while the Allentown 'Tec #27 remains the highest condition copy.

Not too sure about Point #2 above since two notches higher for the "Tec #27 might be enough to make it a borderline call.

Just my personal opinion.........any other opinions out there?

that is exactly what i was thinking!

only if the allen town copy came in at a 9.6 and the mile high came in at a 9.2...

that is the only and i mean ONLY way the tec #27 could come out on top!

on an equal basis[both the same grades] it would be action 1 mile high hands down...assuming both are blue labels

nah - - -I dont buy the idea that a grade difference would push the Tec27 above the Action#1. These are the 2 best copies of the most valuable books (Church and Allentown copies) and their values relative to each other rest TOTALLY on the values of their respective characters! THROW THE GRADE OUT THE WINDOW.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't mean to be a downer, but is anybody else starting to find this repetitive? There are so many wonderful books in the world of GA (take a look at JB's "the other guys" thread), must we continually discuss the same 10 books that none of us are going to own anyway?

I know where you're coming from - even if I had unlimited funds there are other comics that I'd be more excited about owning than either one. Sure I appreciate the "importance" of those two books, regardless of pedigree, but they wouldn't be at the top of my want list even if I could afford them. In many ways I'm more impressed with adam_strange's collection than I am with some of the more traditional GA collections because Atom Age esoterica has a stronger appeal for me. Of the major DC GA keys the one I'd most like to own would be a More Fun #52,and putting resale value aside, I'd rather have a GA Adventure run than a Detective or Action run.

I believe the MH Action #1 would most definitely go for more since it is a historically more significant book and also more well-known than the 'Tec #27. After all, it is an Action #1 and the other is issue #27 of some other title is how it would be viewed by the general public.

Interesting point, but do the general public know that Action 1 is the first appearance of Superman? Also, how many of them are likely to buy a comic book for several hundred thousand dollars?

Interesting point, but do the general public know that Action 1 is the first appearance of Superman? Also, how many of them are likely to buy a comic book for several hundred thousand dollars?

More people know that Action 1 was the first Superman than know that Tec 27 was the first appearance of Batman. I think there's a general awareness that Superman was the first superhero, and I bet that Action 1 cover would ring a few bells with the general public (more than Tec 27 by a long shot).

As for your second question, obviously not many, and JP's bet that institutional investors or other outside money would come in doesn't appear to have panned out. But, if some person were so inclined, you would hope that before dropping a couple hundred Gs or more he'd first do a little research, in which event he should be unanimously told that the most significant comic is Action 1.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Don't pick on the newbie. 893naughty-thumb.gif Newbies can post about whatever they want to post about, remember? At least, that's what YOU told me in Comics General a week or two ago. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

More people know that Action 1 was the first Superman than know that Tec 27 was the first appearance of Batman. I think there's a general awareness that Superman was the first superhero, and I bet that Action 1 cover would ring a few bells with the general public (more than Tec 27 by a long shot).

You mean I should've bought www.action1.com instead of www.detective27.com? foreheadslap.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Don't pick on the newbie. 893naughty-thumb.gif Newbies can post about whatever they want to post about, remember? At least, that's what YOU told me in Comics General a week or two ago. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif BURN!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You mean I should've bought www.action1.com instead of www.detective27.com? foreheadslap.gif

Yes. poke2.gif

INVESTMENT wise, The Church copy of Action # 1 by far. Even if it were an 8.5 should still be over $ 1 M. Just the whole famous discovery thing, coupled with the last original concept in the 20th century, assures this one.

Although PERSONALLY, I would prefer the Allentown Detective # 27, I remember the # 33, and # 38 and they were awesome, and you didn't have to worry about PLOD.

I think Detective # 27 is much more rare that A 1 on the whole. The real Dark Horse is All-American # 16. Which pedigrees have this one?