• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is "small amount of glue" considered restoration?

10 posts in this topic

Glue can be present just as long as it doesn't provide any structural benefit. For instance, if you have a book with a glued tear it will get a purple label. If you re-tear it along the glue line (not necessarily the best way to do this, mind you) you will get a blue label with a note provided the glue is still not holding anything together.

I've seen blue label and purple, noted on both. Is it just allowed on GA books or something?

I asked a similar question a while back when I saw a GA book in a blue label with a notation stating "very minor amount of color touch on cover." A grader chimed in and this is the answer I got:

Has anyone ever seen this before? A universal label with a remark indicating a "very minor amount of color touch on cover?"

Just curious as I've never come across this and assumed that all color touch, however minor, leads to a PLOD.

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bmystery%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1091871

Since CGC opened its doors in 2000, it has had the policy that, at CGC's sole discretion, a book from 1950 or before with an extremely small amount of color touch or glue (e.g. one or two dots) can still get a Blue Universal label. HOWEVER, any color touch or glue detected will still be disclosed on the label, regardless of color.

So what BlowUpTheMoon said is spot on. Hope this helps.

I've seen blue label and purple, noted on both. Is it just allowed on GA books or something?

I asked a similar question a while back when I saw a GA book in a blue label with a notation stating "very minor amount of color touch on cover." A grader chimed in and this is the answer I got:

Has anyone ever seen this before? A universal label with a remark indicating a "very minor amount of color touch on cover?"

Just curious as I've never come across this and assumed that all color touch, however minor, leads to a PLOD.

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bmystery%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1091871

Since CGC opened its doors in 2000, it has had the policy that, at CGC's sole discretion, a book from 1950 or before with an extremely small amount of color touch or glue (e.g. one or two dots) can still get a Blue Universal label. HOWEVER, any color touch or glue detected will still be disclosed on the label, regardless of color.

When CGC was getting started there were dealers and prominent collectors with high-dollar GA books, including Church and other pedigree copies, that had spine splits sealed with a bit of glue or had small amounts of ct. If CGC's policy had been to put those books in purple labels, the books would not have been submitted and CGC would have had trouble gaining support from those collectors and dealers.

Given the skepticism that existed at the time as to whether grading and encapsulating comics was a viable business, CGC pretty much had to make the decision to allow those books to receive blue labels.

When CGC was getting started there were dealers and prominent collectors with high-dollar GA books, including Church and other pedigree copies, that had spine splits sealed with a bit of glue or had small amounts of ct. If CGC's policy had been to put those books in purple labels, the books would not have been submitted and CGC would have had trouble gaining support from those collectors and dealers.

Given the skepticism that existed at the time as to whether grading and encapsulating comics was a viable business, CGC pretty much had to make the decision to allow those books to receive blue labels.

This actually came up after I posted this thread.

From Comic Book Marketplace May 1999, which has a great 7 page article on the beginnings of cgc (thanks to etanick):

mv4p4k0.jpg