• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics Club
1 1

134 posts in this topic

Dear Cap Club guys,

I'm currently negotiating with a non-collector who knows what they have (inheritance) on a Cap 46. Could anyone who has either bought or sold this book in lower grade give me an idea of a fair multiple of guide to offer? The copy in question, from scans, appears to be in a 3-ish range except there are 2 staples added, which is also throwing me a bit.

I would like to make this person an offer that is fair to both of us; not the easiest book to find plentiful comps for, and the added staples are an added wrinkle.

If I ever figure out how to make my phone talk to photobucket, I'll post my two-issue membership card, #s 42 and 78.

Thanks!

Dear Cap Club guys,

I'm currently negotiating with a non-collector who knows what they have (inheritance) on a Cap 46. Could anyone who has either bought or sold this book in lower grade give me an idea of a fair multiple of guide to offer? The copy in question, from scans, appears to be in a 3-ish range except there are 2 staples added, which is also throwing me a bit.

I would like to make this person an offer that is fair to both of us; not the easiest book to find plentiful comps for, and the added staples are an added wrinkle.

If I ever figure out how to make my phone talk to photobucket, I'll post my two-issue membership card, #s 42 and 78.

Thanks!

I believe the added staples will make it a "restored" book (C or poor level, amateur) since the added staples aren't original to the book. In most instances that automatically knocks at least 50% off of it's value compared to an unrestored book. Therefore the book's value may be less than OS Guide estimates, which ...while conservative... sets values based on unrestored books.

That said, the Holocaust cover is highly sought after and the collector's market will place a premium on this issue regardless of condition based on Cap #46 having an iconic cover.

If the book can be professionally restored (extra staples removed and conservation applied if needed for support) it may boost the value based on appearance and desirability (getting it to a Conserved grade), but I'd strongly suggest getting a scan of the book to someone ...professional restorer or reputable dealer as there are many on these boards... who can provide an actual second opinion prior to settling on a price. My 2c

c8ad758f-468f-41e6-89fd-3eee031e1069_zpsahmakge1.jpg

9.2 (cream-OW)

Love that cover. It may be the first "partner betrayal" cover in comics. DC went on to become the king of betrayal covers in the 60s, when just about every other cover in Superman comics featured Lois or Jimmy gloating while killing Superman, or Superman being a spoon to them. And then of course once you got inside the book you saw that it was all pretend. Obviously these covers struck some chord in some readers who had fear-of-abandonment issues.

Interesting point and so true!

Thx DavidMerryweather!

Will keep you guys posted, though I expect it to take a while if it's like the few other times I've found key books in the wild in the hands of non-collectors who know what they have. I spent six months or so to get a TTA #27 in similar circumstances, so I am ready for this to be an even longer-term project.

In addition to... still attached by original single staple.

Having them removed will raise the grade. I bought a GA book with unnecessary added staples. It was graded 4.5 blue. I had the staples removed and the book pressed and it came back 6.5 blue.

Thank you, Sqeggs! While I don't want to get ahead of myself in case I cannot land it, the question of to remove or not to remove and the impacts either way were certainly on my mind.

The range you cite is where I'm hoping to come in, but AndyFish's recent sale suggests I might have to go higher.

Let the liquidations begin!

Having them removed will raise the grade. I bought a GA book with unnecessary added staples. It was graded 4.5 blue. I had the staples removed and the book pressed and it came back 6.5 blue.

Congrats on that grade bump! :applause:

If he buys the Cap, removing the non-original staples would be advisable. He'd probably benefit from pre-screening the book through Matt. I checked the CGC restoration grading page last night and the addition of extra staples is currently designated as amateur restoration under "C" on the grading chart.

I'm assuming the CGC grading guidelines changed in respect to added staples since resubmitting your book. Unless the application of their own policies is inconsistent, that 4.5 would've received a PLOD grade today.

I may well call cgc first and ask about this because I currently have an Avengers #1 cgc 1.5 blue label that features, among its many flaws, an additional set of unnecessary staples. They're called out on the label, but it is blue. (I acquired the book in a trade; I don't know full details of the genesis of the submission.)

If removing the extra staples is universally viewed as a lesser flaw than leaving them there, Cap may get a silver age traveling companion on the trip to Sarasota!

Congrats on that grade bump! :applause:

If he buys the Cap, removing the non-original staples would be advisable. He'd probably benefit from pre-screening the book through Matt. I checked the CGC restoration grading page last night and the addition of extra staples is currently designated as amateur restoration under "C" on the grading chart.

I'm assuming the CGC grading guidelines changed in respect to added staples since resubmitting your book. Unless the application of their own policies is inconsistent, that 4.5 would've received a PLOD grade today.

Thanks. I think a 6.5 may be near the upper limit for a book with four staple holes in it. Maybe the extra staples are allowed in a blue label provided they are superfluous -- just a guess, though.