• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art Day - Jack Kirby Superman cover!

10 posts in this topic

If asked, I would say I'm not a fan of this era in Kirby's career. Having seen that, though, I believe that I may have to reassess my beliefs.

It's great!

Thanks! And I'd have to agree... I thought his pencils during the 2nd series is where his skill started to deteriorate and became a little distorted. But during the first series where he only did the covers and plotting, I still believe he had it.

Someone pointed out that Luthor is blasting Superman in the torso but is holding his right arm. It was known around this time Kirby started to experience pain in his right arm and it seems like he decided to draw some of his personal suffering into this piece.

RickyB

Fantastic Kirby Superman cover! I used to own that one about a decade ago. It's an amazing piece of Kirby art with Royer inks right on the pencils.

I liked Kirby's art at this period, but, had never seen his uninked pencils, which could, at times, be very wonky. Good inkers really made his art a lot better.

This series was so special to me because I read some of it during my summer vacation in Tennessee.

I thought Royer inked Kirby best on this series, but, I have to also admit that I don't hate Greg Theakston's inks on the interiors.

Great pickup!

I regretted letting this one go a long time ago, so I got the Kirby-Theakston DC Comics Presents 84 cover art - pencils by Kirby with inks by Theakston on top of those pencils - to fill that hole in my collection. :cloud9:http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1003728

Fantastic Kirby Superman cover! I used to own that one about a decade ago. It's an amazing piece of Kirby art with Royer inks right on the pencils.

I liked Kirby's art at this period, but, had never seen his uninked pencils, which could, at times, be very wonky. Good inkers really made his art a lot better.

This series was so special to me because I read some of it during my summer vacation in Tennessee.

I thought Royer inked Kirby best on this series, but, I have to also admit that I don't hate Greg Theakston's inks on the interiors.

Great pickup!

I regretted letting this one go a long time ago, so I got the Kirby-Theakston DC Comics Presents 84 cover art - pencils by Kirby with inks by Theakston on top of those pencils - to fill that hole in my collection. :cloud9:http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1003728

that is a sweet piece.. I remember looking at this before making my purchase. Another great Kirby Superman cover!