• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Recommendation

29 posts in this topic

This book might have already been touted on these boards, but I never saw such a thread and the newest members probrably didnt either, so I am bringing this book to light now....

4594235.gif

(Great American Comic Books by Ron Goulart)

Just picked it up today and it is a wonderful book! Goes through alot of the history behind the evolution of comics and includes many great photographs. Its starts with explaining how comics came from newspaper strips and goes all the way to modern comics. I know that many of you already have a good understanding of how comics came to be, but if you dont and are interested, than I recommend picking up this book!

Anyone other book on comics that should be recommended??

i saw that book at some random book store on broadway or hawthorne or something in portland, was marked at over cover price so i didn't pick it up, but looked interesting, there was another one called something like the evolution of the comic book or something to that effect.

I own that book. It definitely IS great. Lots of high quality color reproductions of covers. I highly recommend it.

Does it cover every age/publisher/etc...or is it more Marvel/DC-centric?

What is cover price?

Just stop over at Brian's house. He has it sitting on his coffe table.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I might just do that, seeing as he's got Ali G prisoner. grin.gif

Take his Smallville dvds. That will get his attention.

Just stop over at Brian's house. He has it sitting on his coffe table.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I might just do that, seeing as he's got Ali G prisoner. grin.gif

Take his Smallville dvds. That will get his attention.

I've got them already (well, not his, but my own. tongue.gif). I do have his Twisted Toy Fares and "Goldfish".

Anyone other book on comics that should be recommended??

I got this in the mail yesterday..had a credit for $26 on Amazon. Saw this new release by DC.

While it is only a Batman related book, thought I would post it for everyone. I was more then impressed with the books production level. Has a very high cool factor in attention given the small details.

Even if you do not like Batman.. it might be worth it just to have as a pop culture reference.

But as a Batman fan.. .... cloud9.gif It is not only a trip down memory lane, a study in how Batman was handled by different artists over the years, but a great way to discover some books you might have previously not seen before.

I have only skim read it, so I cannot say if the book has much to it. But from what I saw.. I was impressed how the subject matter was treated. lots of artists takes on the covers... and of course lots of full page covers scans

Take a look.

batmancoverscover.JPG

batmancoverswoutslipcover.JPG

batcoversback.JPG

batmancoversinside.JPG

batmancoverslogos.JPG

Just to make clear ... it is one book. I took shots of the book with the outer slipcover on.. and off.. as both are worth seeing.

The printed hardbound front/back cover repoduction is really fantastic to see in person..

It is a HUGE book.

Ze-