• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your rarest acquisition this year?

144 posts in this topic

Other than the anti drug or VD type books I have rarely paid very much for this very reason. I got a bit screwed on Trapped many years ago. I had no idea how many copies the guy had. I just can't see paying big bucks for a book like Wonder Book of Rubber though. Really? I was shocked at the prices Bedrock was getting for giveaways recently. They are more of an off shoot curiosity to me.

It seemed like a good idea at the time! :cry:

I have to admit, whenever I see a vintage NM promo comic listed for sale, I start to think there are at least a couple dozen more of them where that came from.

You will miss out on some cool stuff thinking like that.

Here's another candidate for my rarest pickup in 2016. Never thought I'd own this one.

Historically important book. Contains the first appearance of a masked hero in DC Comics. Predated Batman by several months.

Cool... I like it. Thanks for the info! (thumbs u

I got this last Friday for 20 bucks:

rm89pg.jpg

My favorite Everett PCH cover! A good deal even for a beater.

Signature alone is worth the $20. If someone told me that was a Wolverton cover I'd believe them.

Then I got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell ya. :makepoint:

Other than the anti drug or VD type books I have rarely paid very much for this very reason. I got a bit screwed on Trapped many years ago. I had no idea how many copies the guy had. I just can't see paying big bucks for a book like Wonder Book of Rubber though. Really? I was shocked at the prices Bedrock was getting for giveaways recently. They are more of an off shoot curiosity to me.

I have to admit, whenever I see a vintage NM promo comic listed for sale, I start to think there are at least a couple dozen more of them where that came from.

The couple that I bought were just very cool to me. I too am leery of paying big money for common issues. I don't think the two I bought are all that common. I could be wrong. I'm a bit of a promo noob. Were they worth what I paid? (shrug) Time will tell I guess. I thought they were neat and I bought them. That's what matters to me.

Your observations about promos are right on the money. However, I can only think of a couple actual warehouse finds. For example, Major Inapak and all the Harvey titles (Trapped!, etc.). Can you think of any other big finds?

Because of how the promos were sometimes distributed, there may still remain small "pockets" or "stacks" of multiple copies. Packs were often sent to schools or stores for distribution, and some may still be found untouched. For example, I picked up 30 copies of Wonder Book of Rubber in the original mailer. But I have encountered fewer than a dozen of these finds.

Ah, ha! So you're the one responsible for the Wonder of Book Rubber gusher! :taptaptap:

June of 2015, a copy pops up in a Heritage Sunday night auction. A 9.8 OW-W promo from 1947! Let me at it! I win it for $262.90. Then another 9.8 OW-W shows up the following week : $95.60. And another one the following week: $69. And another one the week after that: $62. And the week after that: $60.

When the flood finally ebbed in August and September, 9.6 copies were selling for $20-$30.

So, yeah, I'm a little leery of of overpaying for promos! :D

Ha ha and Ouch at the same time! Don't blame me - I still have the full pack. Wonder Book of Rubber is pretty common, although there are at least four different versions, so one or two may be harder to find.

+1

In this internet era, with rapid exchange of information and comics, you can research titles to get a general idea of scarcity. Many, many promos are widely available in great shape. Yet many are truly rare.

I've let some pass over the years, thinking I'd see another copy eventually. I'm still looking, decades later...

I've picked up many titles which I have never seen again...

That's what makes collecting promos fun - in the age of numerical grades, censuses, and GPA, there is still a frontier where a little knowledge gives a collector an edge!

The couple that I bought were just very cool to me. I too am leery of paying big money for common issues. I don't think the two I bought are all that common. I could be wrong. I'm a bit of a promo noob. Were they worth what I paid? (shrug) Time will tell I guess. I thought they were neat and I bought them. That's what matters to me.

That Miracle in Wood you got is rare - have only ever seen one other copy. :applause:(thumbs u

mycomicshop.com is a really good resource. Founder Buddy Saunders really likes unusual comics and lists lots of promos. His pricing is a good guide and he has a lot of unusual titles listed. If a title is not in their database, you can guess it's at least scarce!

That Miracle in Wood you got is rare - have only ever seen one other copy. :applause:(thumbs u

mycomicshop.com is a really good resource. Founder Buddy Saunders really likes unusual comics and lists lots of promos. His pricing is a good guide and he has a lot of unusual titles listed. If a title is not in their database, you can guess it's at least scarce!

That's exactly what I did. Looked at both ebay and mycomicshop before buying. There were other that I checked on that had many copies listed on ebay. The other one I bought, The Fight to Save America's Waters, was the 1954 edition. The only ones I see on ebay and mycomicshop are the 1956 edition.

Your observations about promos are right on the money. However, I can only think of a couple actual warehouse finds. For example, Major Inapak and all the Harvey titles (Trapped!, etc.). Can you think of any other big finds?

Because of how the promos were sometimes distributed, there may still remain small "pockets" or "stacks" of multiple copies. Packs were often sent to schools or stores for distribution, and some may still be found untouched. For example, I picked up 30 copies of Wonder Book of Rubber in the original mailer. But I have encountered fewer than a dozen of these finds.

Ah, ha! So you're the one responsible for the Wonder of Book Rubber gusher! :taptaptap:

June of 2015, a copy pops up in a Heritage Sunday night auction. A 9.8 OW-W promo from 1947! Let me at it! I win it for $262.90. Then another 9.8 OW-W shows up the following week : $95.60. And another one the following week: $69. And another one the week after that: $62. And the week after that: $60.

When the flood finally ebbed in August and September, 9.6 copies were selling for $20-$30.

Ha ha and Ouch at the same time! Don't blame me - I still have the full pack. Wonder Book of Rubber is pretty common, although there are at least four different versions, so one or two may be harder to find.

So, in addition to all the copies that surfaced on HA, there's your stash? I'm pretty sure I'll keep the GPA record on that one forevermore! :D

So, in addition to all the copies that surfaced on HA, there's your stash? I'm pretty sure I'll keep the GPA record on that one forevermore! :D

I'm sure you will bounce back.

Unfortunately, I'm not very elastic these days. :cry:

Unfortunately, I'm not very elastic these days. :cry:

"...gon' come round the square

withsome Puerto Rican Girls

that's just dyin' to meet you !

Have some mess

and fool around.....

you know.....

like we used to ...."

...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u