• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Destroy it or sell it?

31 posts in this topic

I collect concerts recorded either by amateurs or professionals. Many of the old ones are cut to pieces. Someone hit the pause button to conserve tape or just plain ran out of tape. I can't listen to those shows because some of the cuts are so jarring. That doesn't mean they don't have value to someone else.

Someone who would trash a book due to tiny resto is either a profiteer or mad as a hatter. It could be something as simple as a black marker dot on a white spot. I get not liking resto, but something as small as this - at least in my mind - I wouldn't even consider resto if I owned it.

Definitely the consensus to preserve the book. But it is a suitably low dollar book to be sent away free. The book is gone to a deserving boardie via PM.

Kudos to you! :applause:

As many others have stated, I would be thrilled to have that book in my collection. I would have happily paid $400 for it. I'm not a fan of resto either, but something that minor wouldn't bother me in the least.

I'm glad this had a happy outcome for all involved.

Definitely the consensus to preserve the book. But it is a suitably low dollar book to be sent away free. The book is gone to a deserving boardie via PM.

Bill! I'm speechless! If there's ever anything I can do for you, let me know! Can't wait for it to arrive! :cloud9:

"Very small amount" means that it could literally have had a "dot" of color touch (probably on the spine).

It would be worth it to give it a quick examination. There's a great chance that with CT removal on this one that it would not even drop in grade, or just drop half a grade.

:applause: next time you have this problem don't forget me, it'll go in my collection

Bill! I'm speechless! If there's ever anything I can do for you, let me know! Can't wait for it to arrive! :cloud9:

What a great outcome to read! I can see having an initial "I was taken" reaction if you bought it raw and found it restored upon slabbing (sounds like that's how it played out if I'm reading correctly) but it is possible the seller did not know.

Either way, I get the frustration. Reminds me of my befuddlement over signatures. I'm old school; to me it's writing on the book, period. Degraded. But there's a market for it that I'm not a part of, and when I buy entire collections, sigs get sold/traded. We are essentially a hobby of various niches, and that helps make the market. Hope my analogy makes sense.

Thank you for preserving a rare book; I hope you find an unrestored copy (my preference too!)

What a great outcome to read! I can see having an initial "I was taken" reaction if you bought it raw and found it restored upon slabbing (sounds like that's how it played out if I'm reading correctly) but it is possible the seller did not know.

Either way, I get the frustration. Reminds me of my befuddlement over signatures. I'm old school; to me it's writing on the book, period. Degraded. But there's a market for it that I'm not a part of, and when I buy entire collections, sigs get sold/traded. We are essentially a hobby of various niches, and that helps make the market. Hope my analogy makes sense.

Thank you for preserving a rare book; I hope you find an unrestored copy (my preference too!)

(thumbs u