• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr Carl’s Golden Age Big-Key Sales Thread… Thread Closing...

55 posts in this topic

Good morning :hi:

I'm up a little early this morning, so we'll get this one posted a few minutes ahead of schedule...

Golden Age Green Lantern 1 CGC 2.5, PQ: cream to off-white

What’s Cool About this Book:

Yes, it’s the first Green Lantern in his own title. And it’s got an awesome cover. And GA GL has been strongly rumored to appear both on TV (think Legends of Tomorrow) and movies (think the next Green Lantern movie). So, this is a book with a lot of room to grow.

And, for a 2.5, I think it presents very nicely for the assigned grade.

But, perhaps most importantly, to the best of my knowledge, this is the only copy that is signed by creator, writer, and artist Martin Nodell.

Price

The last sale (not on GPA) is the recent CConnect sale where a 5.5 sold for $14.800. That shows you how this book is really gaining steam.

If we use that as a guide, we get $2960 a point, or the sale price of a 2.5 at $6,727.

So, let’s call it $5,900.

$5,900

GL%201_zpsekvsun7f.jpg

Green Lantern 1 was my first big book. I always marveled at its beauty. It led to me to get my first AF15. Ahh, the good old days. My copy was a 2.5 as well and presented nicely. It surely was not signed by Nodell, and I have not seen another. This is freaking cool!!!! Killer books.

:cloud9:

Thanks, Chadwick :foryou:

Green Lantern 1 was my first big book. I always marveled at its beauty. It led to me to get my first AF15. Ahh, the good old days. My copy was a 2.5 as well and presented nicely. It surely was not signed by Nodell, and I have not seen another. This is freaking cool!!!! Killer books.

And thank you too, SpideyFein. :foryou:

Oh, The next book will post tomorrow morning at 6am Mountain time (8am Eastern).

See you all on the other side of nighttime :hi:

Happy Wednesday :hi:

I'd guess this is the one book I'll list that doesn't really qualify as a key, but I’m told it's one of the hardest early Actions to find

Action Comics 9 CGC 2.5

One of the toughest of the set, so I’m told by those trying to put together a run…

With only 12 blue-label copies on the census, I can see why!

Price

I was thinking $5,750 would be fair, but this is a book that I’d like to move, so let’s call it…

$4,950

Action%209_zpscpcwgnpl.jpg

Setting my alarm.

Brrrrring…. Brrrrring…. [and other alarm sounds]

Good morning, Junkdrawer and fellow comic-lovers,

I'd hoped to post a big book this morning, but I can't find my scans, so a smaller book will have to suffice, with the big books coming over the weekend:

Action Comics 13 - Superman story only. From bound volume. PQ: Cream to off-white

Panel (Advertisement) missing from last page - does not effect story

What’s Cool About this Book

Yep. This time, you can get all 7 pages from Action Comics 13.

I bought these from a different seller than the Action Comics 10, but, oddly, they appear to be from the same bound volume. (Now, if only I could find the rest of it!)

Last I checked, there are only 33 copies of this book on the census.

Price

Again, I have no idea how to price this.

Let’s also call it $1500 for all 7 pages (only $215 a page if you’re inclined to break the set)

$1500

Action%2013%20page%201_zps8jn02v0l.jpg

Good morning (thumbs u

Let’s jump up to big book, and see what happens.

All Star Comics 3 CGC 6.0, PQ: off-white to white

Of course, this book is the first appearance of the first superhero team - the JSA. It’s also the first time characters in a comic book shared a universe together.

After the most recent Cconnect sale, and perhaps the repeated appearance of these characters on Legends of Tomorrow (does that make a difference?), I’d have to say this is one of the hottest keys out there. Try to find a blue label copy anywhere today…

There are only 10 All-Star 3’s graded higher than this one in existence (of course, there are only 86 total, so you’re getting one of the best copies out there.

Price

The last sale (not on GPA) is the recent CConnect sale where a 7.0 sold for $79,000. That put the book in a whole new class.

If we use that as a guide, we get $9857 a point, or the sale price of a 6.0 at $59,142

So, let’s call it $49,000. ($10K lower than what the last sale would suggest.)

$49,000

AllStar3CGC602_zpszbw6hxlm.jpg

That All Star #3 is simply stunning!!! (worship)

If anyone has an interest in the Superman pages from both Action 10 & Action 13 (priced at $3000 for the pair), let's offer you a 20% discount ($600 off)…

Take Action 10 & Action 13 Superman pages at 20% off! for $2400 (thumbs u

(The discount is good through the weekend... then we kindly return you to the regular prices of a sales thread already in progress.)

Good morning again.

Today's offering is… :foryou:

Adventure Comics 40 CGC 4.0

What’s Cool About this Book

Golden age DC’s featuring their “second-tier” characters are getting hotter by the day, and demanding higher prices - take More Fun 73, for example. And All Star 3.

Another example is More Fun 52, where a 3.0 on Clink recently went for $39K.

I think this book - featuring both a founding member of the JSA, and the 3rd ever DC superhero - is about to get it’s turn. Get it before it pops…

Price

There’s currently a 6.5 on CConnect with an offer of $32,500 (which was not accepted by the seller).

That would seem to suggest $5K a price point is too low for some sellers.

But, I’ll sell at that price… let’s call it $19,500.

$19,500

Adventure40CGC40_zpsyzybswim.jpg

I just wanted to share my thanks to everyone who PM’d and to everyone who wrote on the thread. :foryou:

You were all so gracious, sometimes funny, and always kind.

It reminds me of why this is such a wonderful place. :applause:

~

That said, I’ve decided to bring the sales thread to a close. :cry:

I’ll keep this open until midnight tonight and, then, boom, we’ll call it finished.

Feel free to PM me anytime to discuss any of these books, even after the thread closes.

But, if you PM me in 2019, I can’t promise you 2017 prices! lol