• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 at one time? Why?

40 posts in this topic

X-Men #45 is real common in HG. 9.4 and above:

X-Men #43 - 20 issues

X-Men #44 - 18 issues

X-Men #45 - 70 issues

X-Men #46 - 10 issues

X-Men #47 - 23 issues

Is that the Frankenstein cover? Yup, forgot about that one.

X-Men #45 is real common in HG. 9.4 and above:

X-Men #43 - 20 issues

X-Men #44 - 18 issues

X-Men #45 - 70 issues

X-Men #46 - 10 issues

X-Men #47 - 23 issues

Is that the Frankenstein cover? Yup, forgot about that one.

Nope, that's issue 40 - although that is common too.

Post 1968 Marvels, especially the new series that launced that year, aren't worth mentioning. There are a lot of all of them.

thumbsup2.gif Let`s just limit this to pre-1968, because otherwise our list will be 99% composed of 1968 and later books.

Someone should start a thread compiling a list of books like this (older issues with a large number of HG copies). I have bid on this issue in the past and had no idea it was a warehouse find.

The best thing to do is to check the CGC census when you are thinking of bidding on or buying a book, and also checking GPAnalysis. That'll give you a sense of how many graded copies exist, and what they have been selling for on average. It also gives you an idea of how often certain books come up for sale.

For understaning the potential commonality of raw books, those Mile High ads are invaluable. I think I'll file them away for future reference! thumbsup2.gif

Veeeeery interesting! I knew that FF 48 was relatively common, but I had no idea that it was a warehouse find.

BTW: add The Thing 16 (Charlton) to that list.

Yeah, Thing 16 is quite common in high grade. At one time, due primarily to the "injury to eye" panel I suppose, it was the most valuable, or one of the two or three most valuable, issues in the run. Now it's the least valuable. So Overstreet IS paying attention, at least some of the time!

Another GA warehouse find candidate has to be those popped wheat giveaways featuring Terry & The Pirates, Little Orphan Annie, Tracy (I think?) and a couple of others. First saw them available in the mid-'70s for about $5 apiece - not bad for a pristine comic (albeit a promotional comic) from 1938, I said to myself as I convinced my dad to buy me a couple. I think in the 2005 guide they're listed at about $12 in NM- now...!

Captain Marvel Adventures 50, 51, & 52 were warehouse finds.

Great info. Did those have a stamp of some kind on them? Our #50 is fairly nice and has a half-faded, half-fading star-like stamp.

And I assume that a lot of the Fawcett premiums (Captain Marvel Ski Jump, anyone?) were warehouse finds.

Marc

This is a very cool book from the 3-D craze. Good Kirby art and Ditko's third published work. Seems way underpriced in guide and that's probably because it was a warehouse find at some point. I'd think the copies have all dispersed by now but I did hear a long-time collector tell me that he saw a few stacks on at least one dealer's table maybe 20 years ago.

Marc

P.S.--100th post. I blame Garth and Jason and Scott for this! Michael escapes blame because he hid from me at Wondercon 2004 and only showed his face at the 2005 show. Oh, I guess Jeff gets a half-share of blame too.

I just grabbed one of those copies of Thor 132 CGC 9.6 for $112. Not too bad, .....it'll go into my registry set. It was the first Thor I bought off the newstands anyway, so it's nice to have a slabbed copy.