• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When selling on ebay, is it now okay not to grade them anymore?

140 posts in this topic

I give mid-range books the tag "Mid-range" and let others decide how much it's worth. I give large, hi-res pics of the front & back cover, I give any other details I think are pertinent ("Yes, that's a small rip & not a bend", etc.) and price them at 99¢.

Higher-grade books, I tend to give a grade.

I am not saying I am all that successful at it, just saying that's what I do.

-slym

Done a fair amount of selling on ebay. Always use better than avg pics/scans.

Used to consistently provide specific grade or range. I've only been on the boards less than a year but I've read this same basic thread a few times now, and it sunk in. It seems 'best practices' might include a specific grade, but common practice is just as often to cop out and skip the specifics. Seeing lots of sellers do quite well without the specifics, I've gotten a bit lazier, and last round of about 80 auctions used generic "low end GD" or "top end of the FN range."

In retrospect, the biggest book I sold was the only return I got. A Strange Tales 110 that I specifically described twice as "high end GD" was returned because the buyer and his local comic store agreed it was not a VG or VG-. In my mind I said wtf? but I refunded quickly without event, I didn't want the 880 that badly and the board later agreed in PGM it was 2.5 range, so live and learn. If I had do over would probably say "2.5" but who can say whether the time-wasting gambler in question would've done same thing anyway?

[yes, my first reply to him was "yes, I know it's not a low VG that's why I only called it a really nice GD" but I cooled down quickly since my policy is no questions asked anyway. So now I'm back to two copies and waiting for the next time there's a new Dr S. movie out.]

Long story short, when selling a book, the seller should put "im not a professional grader so please determine for yourself the grade range of the book" that way the seller will have an respectable and honest reputation. Therefore they won't have to worry of returns, complaints etc. On the other hand, if it is obvious the book is a low, mid, or high grade, the seller can put "this book is in the low,mid, or high grade range." My opinion

I actually think with grading as subjective as it is, the "I'm not a professional grader" is not a cop out nor means to deceive.

What I do think folks should do, which most don't, is provide accurate descriptions and detailed photos.

Most sellers only tell 1/2 the story, showing only the front cover. They need to show the other 50% of the book, the back side.

Also, eBay provides 12 photos to be shown, so use them! Get close ups of the book using 4 images to get granular in seeing the spines, staples, surface, edges, and corners.

Be descriptive in pointing out any flaws, it does nobody good to have non-disclosure of defects, since in the world of eBay "the buyer is both king and queen" and should a buyer not like what they receive, a seller is usually defenseless and has to surrender the money back and go through the hassles.

If a seller says "geez, that takes too much time and effort" - - then guess what... you really shouldn't be selling on eBay then, if you have the time to take someone's money, you have the time to ship properly and list accurately.

I think people tend to over-grade and use this NM or better moniker, when a NM grade on a new book is often not what a lot are looking for, so just show the comic where a picture says a thousand words and don't use out of focus, poor lighting or far distant photos.

The "it is what it is" demonstration through photos is better than giving an inaccurate (usually overgrading) evaluation.

Also, the other pet peeve related to getting books in certain promised grades is when sellers package books on cardboard strapping it with tape where you run the risk of damaging the book trying to get the book off the board. Also, the fact that they use cardboard and "bubble wrap" (worthless!!! Rigid protection for comics, not bubble wrap which is idiotic, when used alone). Just box up the books or use multiple layers of cardboard and you, yourself as the seller try to bend the parcel, that's the true test of iron clad packaging. If it can bend, then you need to box it up or use more sturdy cardboard, not corrugated flimsy ones. If it costs more to ship, pass that cost to the buyer. If buyers balk and are too cheap to pay for good packaging, those customers you probably don't want anyway, at least for any book $10 or more, and especially high grade expensive books.

I used to give grades. Nothing but headaches. No one agrees on grade, so why give one? I just use good pics and describe every single flaw. By describing minute flaws the buyer may have missed in the scan, I earn his trust. Haven't had any problems with this approach.

Grades = headaches

no grades = no problems

+1 I rarely sell or buy on the bay any more anyway. I much prefer these boards for comics.

Agreed. I have had too many problems with irrational eBayers.

So when you are selling a $100 book or $1K book its okay to put "I'm not a professional grader" and that should resolve the seller from any problems when the book is missing a interior page or has been restored? Hey I didnt know mess about comics so not my fault. Everyone I am sure can see the issue here.

Keep in mind as we die out relatives are going to inheirit our books. This I guess will be happening more and more. I know a guy locally that has marked up every ASM SA book he has due to his OCD. Eventually those books will make it into the market.

I am enjoying seeing the different viewpoints on this.

In the end, eBay is a marketplace. "Market" to sell your products. Even though sellers may either be not completely honest or unprofessional in their grading, they still want to make a profit. It is us consumers to decide and judge whether the product will be worth our money. How many businesses have you heard with the slogan, "we care about costumers" or "customers come first"? That's all B.S because the slogan is a Clever way to bring consumers in and buy their products. There is nothing wrong with advertising your grade on eBay, however if someone is unprofessional in grading then they shouldn't give an guestimate in the grade range and just be honest about it. How many times have you gone to mcdonalds to buy a juicy Big Mac but end up getting a flat burger that is completely different from the one shown on the menu and tv ad?

I used to give grades. Nothing but headaches. No one agrees on grade, so why give one? I just use good pics and describe every single flaw. By describing minute flaws the buyer may have missed in the scan, I earn his trust. Haven't had any problems with this approach.

Grades = headaches

no grades = no problems

When eBay started to change their rules in selling topics. Especially with feedback and rating stars. And that they gave more power toward to buyers. I decided to stop giving precise grades on comics I sell online. I had seen problem issues in the discussion forums in there. My last sale in eBay was listed with general grade and had stated to use their judgement based on photos I provided. Front, back, sides, centrefold shown inside ... I use all 12 photos what eBay allows. I gave enough description about defects.

The book was a low grade, and the final bid had blown the OSPG out the window ... much to my shock. The buyer was happy and had no problem since. Got good feedback.

So when you are selling a $100 book or $1K book its okay to put "I'm not a professional grader" and that should resolve the seller from any problems when the book is missing a interior page or has been restored? Hey I didnt know mess about comics so not my fault. Everyone I am sure can see the issue here.

Keep in mind as we die out relatives are going to inheirit our books. This I guess will be happening more and more. I know a guy locally that has marked up every ASM SA book he has due to his OCD. Eventually those books will make it into the market.

I am enjoying seeing the different viewpoints on this.

When I first saw a few genuine non-comics people occasionally use this term, it did not bother me. But it's on so many listings now, from long-time dealers and collectors ... c'mon, you sure as heck thought you could grade when you bought the damn thing, so offer your grade opinion when you sell! Who the heck thinks it's a guarantee and does not look at the pix and description??? Pictures, words, why you think it is in the grade range you think it is, disclosure of defects....these are the reasons I pull the trigger!

"Professional grader" implies there's a governing body providing licensure upon passage of a test. I'm not aware of the governing body that administers the CPG (certified professional grader) exam. Yes I realize they probably mean third-party grading when they say this, but it is not the same thing...one exists, one does not.

It's my opinion that MOST but not all sellers on eBay that say "look at pictures and decide yourself" are trying to make it hard for buyers to return books. Which is pointless. The buyer can just find - or create - some tiny defect not mentioned or that doesn't show in pictures and that justifies a return. In my experience most (but again not all) sellers that won't offer a grade and instead do the "decide yourself" thing also don't take returns (voluntarily)

For sellers that literally inherited a couple of boxes of books I figure whatever. But when you have sellers on eBay that have sold hundreds and even thousands of comics, that have professionally graded books in their inventory - then the "I don't know mess about grading" seems pretty phony and puts me off.

It's a poor tactic to limit returns, but I have seen it pay off any number of times on the final sale price. They say things like "looks great" or "high grade" and run a dozen pictures. From angles that really don't tell you much. Time and time again I've seen books like ASM 129 and Hulk 181 fetch prices that were likely well above what the real grade of the book was.

I grade everything nearly everything I sell, though sometimes may call books in the FR range just "low grade" with good scans and a listing of all non-obvious defects. I'll also sometimes range grade inexpensive lots, instead of grading individually, if they are all close in grade. I've sold hundreds of comics on ebay, and only had one return, a group of six cheap low grade silver books I described as being around VG-. The buyer thought they were closer to GD for the most part. I got the impression he was angling for a discount, but I just took them back and sold to someone else who was happy with the grading. When selling I offer returns for any reason, including slabbed books.

I don't like it when sellers list a book of any value without a grade, unless the pictures and written descriptions are very thorough. There's just too much you potentially can't see in a photo or scan that could effect the grade, but I prefer it to giving a grade with crappy photos with no further description, even with slabbed books. I once bought a book with a CGC 3.5 grade that had a fuzzy photo, and no description only to find it had a huge water stain covering the top half of the book that bled some color and should have lead to a lower grade IMHO, as even without it, the book was a 4.0 at best. I got it for a fair price still, but was disappointed.

Not listing a grade won't preclude returns or complaints, if someone decides they don't want the book, they'll find a reason to return it, regardless of whether the seller grades it. Better to just give it a grade, be thorough in listing important flaws, and accept returns for any reason.

There are what, 10 or 20 professional graders in the world? I've never thought even once that a seller I was buying from on eBay was one of those 10-20.

But it's still a cop out.

I think it's just a standard quote that means "I don't know how to tell a 2.0 from a 4.0, or a 9.2 from a 9.6". Not having multiple pics or scans is just lazy imo. That being said, not having a grade in your title will keep it from a lot of searches, for example searching for "Swamp Thing 21 NM" won't show the lazy listers.

2c

There are what, 10 or 20 professional graders in the world? I've never thought even once that a seller I was buying from on eBay was one of those 10-20.

^^ It's a cop-out / CYA statement.

I think it's just a standard quote that means "I don't know how to tell a 2.0 from a 4.0, or a 9.2 from a 9.6". Not having multiple pics or scans is just lazy imo. That being said, not having a grade in your title will keep it from a lot of searches, for example searching for "Swamp Thing 21 NM" won't show the lazy listers.

2c

I was under the impression that it meant "I never assigned a grade, so there can be no "Item not as Described" reason to return it.

i want no surprises for the buyer-thats why i mention every tiny defect even if not visible in pic. no surprises! is my motto. because if you surprise the buyer they will surprise you back.

Some buyers are looking to hit the jackpot on an undergraded book and use a listed grade as an excuse for a return (with you paying shipping both ways) if the nm is not in fact a 9.6 or 9.8. I had gone to "high grade" "mid grade" etc. and am back to giving a specific grade. My scanner is not great, so I can't just say "look at the picture." If someone returns something, so be it. Low grade stuff I just say low grade. I don't try to speculate on 9.6-8, just "nm or better" and note that a specific defect is going to prevent a 9.8, etc just do disabuse anyone of the notion that it should go in a slab.

Edited by the blob

I think sellers try to put themselves in a position to let buyers know "Don't expect this book to be mint". Also sellers are lazy. rather than investing in a scanner, they just take a few cellphone pics especially if they are a casual seller. If a listing says "NM++ CGC Worthy" that means "I don't want to wait for it to come back and would rather take a 20% of what I could get for it, had I sent it in for grading myself"

you can buy a new printer/scanner for $25. i just dont gettit.

its actually cheaper to buy a new printer every time ink runs out because refills are $75

Even cheaper to return printer every time ink runs out for full refund.

That'll show em