• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When selling on ebay, is it now okay not to grade them anymore?

140 posts in this topic

Anyway, I am now back to giving a grade and noting defects that may not be clear from the scan. No problems. I got freaked out because I had a month where 3 or 4 people had complaints about stuff I didn't think was justified, but nothing since. They happened to be books that sold for a lot in 9.8, but I only had then at 9.2-9.4.

Edited by the blob

Some buyers are looking to hit the jackpot on an undergraded book and use a listed grade as an excuse for a return (with you paying shipping both ways) if the nm is not in fact a 9.6 or 9.8. I had gone to "high grade" "mid grade" etc. and am back to giving a specific grade. My scanner is not great, so I can't just say "look at the picture." If someone returns something, so be it. Low grade stuff I just say low grade. I don't try to speculate on 9.6-8, just "nm or better" and note that a specific defect is going to prevent a 9.8, etc just do disabuse anyone of the notion that it should go in a slab.

The thing is, they don't need an excuse to return it. They can just force a return thru PayPal/E-bay. I'm amazed that anyone still sells on E-bay with how stacked things are against sellers these days.

I've been selling on ebay for years and am 100% satisfied with how things have gone. I think the instances of abuse are rare and throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a bit extreme.

That's a good deal. Just ordered one. Need a backup printer/scanner anyway. I have a cannon combo pixma (different model) at home, the resolution is ok, but it is slow and I want to jump out the window. I can do 50 scans at the office in like 15 minutes. But I sacrifice some resolution vs. My home scanner.

That's a good deal. Just ordered one. Need a backup printer/scanner anyway. I have a cannon combo pixma (different model) at home, the resolution is ok, but it is slow and I want to jump out the window. I can do 50 scans at the office in like 15 minutes. But I sacrifice some resolution vs. My home scanner.

My printer went out and i spent $70 on ink and no go-I need a new printer so HP is sending me one. $70 is gone though sure wish I had just bought this baby.

I've been selling on ebay for years and am 100% satisfied with how things have gone. I think the instances of abuse are rare and throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a bit extreme.

Most people like to give a reason rather than just saying f-u, take it back, I changed my mind. It's human nature. I wonder how many "not as described" refunds paypal will force if the buyer keeps on returning things that don't actually have descriptions? Also, who pays shipping on those?

Agreed. I have had more pain-in-the- sellers than buyers on ebay. Not outright scams, but sellers who give you a hard time about returns on items that didn't function as advertised or where they clearly didn't disclose everything, and I'm pretty forgiving. Most recently a used iphone where it turns out the sim card port was damaged. After giving me the run around, I escalated to a "not as decribed" claim, was refunded and let the seller know I would return it when I got a paid return label. They said they'd sent me one, and then never got back to me.

My printer went out and i spent $70 on ink and no go-I need a new printer so HP is sending me one. $70 is gone though sure wish I had just bought this baby.

Thats why I bought a color laser printer. don't waste money buying ink.

Toner's more expensive though.

Granted, toner lasts a long time (~1.5-2 years for us) and I find laser printers to be more durable. I know we have some in the office that are 15 years old and still chugging along.

I will say this-if you dont print much, be sure to print something every 2 weeks. The last 3 $70 ink refills I bought i barely printed anything so the port got clogged which the printer reads as 'empty'. and of course tech support will never mention this expensive little detail. So I spent $210 to print maybe 8 pages.

Yes that's correct to print maybe 8 pages I could have purchased 8 printers.

Every time I needed to print a page, I could have bought an entire printer just for that one job.

Toner's more expensive though.

Granted, toner lasts a long time (~1.5-2 years for us) and I find laser printers to be more durable. I know we have some in the office that are 15 years old and still chugging along.

Yeah I fought my wife on buying one and eventually gave in. Large upfront cost, but the cartridges last forever.

theres nothing wrong with "look at the pics" thing if done correctly. granted i haven't sold on ebay in a long time but i would note if all defects could be seen in the pics or would say something along the lines of "defects x, y, z can't be seen in the scan". in my case yes it was laziness bc why point out something people can see quite clearly, if it couldn't be seen then it's my responsiblity to point thoes issues out

my scans are done on the same scanner as my cgc books (have had people tell me how they love how clear/crisp my images are so i'm guessing they are good), hell after a scan i've noticed issues with a book i didn't see while holding it

I will say this-if you dont print much, be sure to print something every 2 weeks. The last 3 $70 ink refills I bought i barely printed anything so the port got clogged which the printer reads as 'empty'. and of course tech support will never mention this expensive little detail. So I spent $210 to print maybe 8 pages.

Yes that's correct to print maybe 8 pages I could have purchased 8 printers.

Every time I needed to print a page, I could have bought an entire printer just for that one job.

This is why we switched to laser a few years back (back when monochrome laser printers were still $200+). Nowadays, you can buy wireless color laser for $70. Worth it.

I rarely sell or buy on the bay any more anyway. I much prefer these boards for comics.

Agreed. I have had too many problems with irrational eBayers.

This board doesn't want 99¢ mid-grade X-Men from the 70's & 80's.

;)

-slym

I'm curious if a seller claims he can't assign a grade how does that seller come up with a price? If a raw WD#1 sells for 2000 in NM do they sell it for 2000 regardless of the condition?

Obviously they dont. They assign a price depending on the grade which means they can grade a comic. Personally I would never purchase a comic through the mail without a grade assigned to it. I'm sure there are some honest sellers that do this but IMO most are not.

I have heard way to many horror stories of buyers getting duped.

I'm curious if a seller claims he can't assign a grade how does that seller come up with a price? If a raw WD#1 sells for 2000 in NM do they sell it for 2000 regardless of the condition?

Obviously they dont. They assign a price depending on the grade which means they can grade a comic. Personally I would never purchase a comic through the mail without a grade assigned to it. I'm sure there are some honest sellers that do this but IMO most are not.

just because a grade is assigned doesnt mean thats the grade and you can return it either way so I dont understand your policy on requiring a grade (guess).

There are ample sellers that do grade their comics and that's who I wish to spend my money with.

IMO most sellers that do not assign a grade are trying to over-charge the buyer. I understand that some sellers are honest but from what I have seen a buyer is taking a big gamble purchasing comics that are not graded.

We all know that a scan will not show every defect on a comic. The best way to grade a comic is to actually hold it and since only the seller can hold it they need to assign a grade. Plus I still don't understand how a seller can honestly say they cannot grade but somehow find a way to come up with a value for the comic. As we all know a comics value is based on the condition and if a seller can't grade how can they put a value to the comic?

The entire not putting a grade on a comic sounds really fishy to me and therefore I avoid sellers that do this. Again this is just my opinion and I'm sure many people will disagree with me.

Edited by raybowles

There are ample sellers that do grade their comics and that's who I wish to spend my money with.

IMO most sellers that do not assign a grade are trying to over-charge the buyer. I understand that some sellers are honest but from what I have seen a buyer is taking a big gamble purchasing comics that are not graded.

We all know that a scan will not show every defect on a comic. The best way to grade a comic is to actually hold it and since only the seller can hold it they need to assign a grade. Plus I still don't understand how a seller can honestly say they cannot grade but somehow find a way to come up with a value for the comic. As we all know a comics value is based on the condition and if a seller can't grade how can they put a value to the comic?

The entire not putting a grade on a comic sounds really fishy to me and therefore I avoid sellers that do this. Again this is just my opinion and I'm sure many people will disagree with me.

My main point is even if you accurately give a grade, some buyers will disagree with it. Even if it's accurate. So it's a no win.

just because a grade is assigned doesnt mean thats the grade and you can return it either way so I dont understand your policy on requiring a grade (guess).

+1 exactly. I'd rather have lots of good photos showing cover gloss, corners and a good description listing flaws. I don't care what someone thinks a comic's grade is, unless they sell thousands of comics a year and most sellers don't. If you need a grade that badly then maybe you should only buy slabbed books.