• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS INSURANCE CLAIM HELP

68 posts in this topic

Be careful I know of a guy who pressed the post office on a matter and their response was to stop delivering to him.

Plus I dont think you can sue the federal govt

Be careful I know of a guy who pressed the post office on a matter and their response was to stop delivering to him.

The USPS, as you might imagine, frowns on this sort of thing. When it does happen, the offenders generally go to jail:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-mailman-arrested-not-delivering-40-000-pieces-mail-article-1.1952684

Not delivering, yes. signing for and delivering, no.

The post office put this individual on the non delivery list so he had to come pick up his mail.

They do that usually if someone has an aggressive dog.

Be careful I know of a guy who pressed the post office on a matter and their response was to stop delivering to him. Plus I dont think you can sue the federal govt

IF this package was sent via Registered Mail as the OP claims--and IF it's clear that the carrier signed for it, and not the recipient--then the USPS will pay this claim.

But...as other people have said, don't expect it to be fast or easy...

The post office put this individual on the non delivery list so he had to come pick up his mail.

Then he is receiving his mail.

Being informed that your mail is, for whatever reason, being held at the PO for you to pick up is not the same thing as the PO not giving you your mail, or destroying it, because you have a beef with them, or because a carrier is too lazy or incompetent to deliver it. :grin:

Then he is receiving his mail.

Being informed that your mail is, for whatever reason, being held at the PO for you to pick up is not the same thing as the PO not giving you your mail, or destroying it, because you have a beef with them, or are too lazy or incompetent to deliver it. :grin:

I'm just saying if you annoy the post office they can make your life difficult.

I'm just saying if you annoy the post office they can make your life difficult.

Sure, that can happen. There are @-holes everywhere. But the PO has more checks and balances in place than you might imagine.

And though it's far from a perfect system (and really, what is?), the volume they deal with is truly staggering: in 2015, roughly 493,000 USPS employees processed 154.2 BILLION pieces or mail to 155 million delivery points.

That's insane. And yet, only a statistically small number of deliveries go awry, while millions of pieces of mail make it safely to their destinations every day.

I was trained back in 1990 in the big Baltimore hub downtown, and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the main sorting room.

To this day, I still think it's a miracle of organization that ANYTHING we mail gets to its destination as quickly (and cheaply) as it almost always does...

The USPS, as you might imagine, frowns on this sort of thing. When it does happen, the offenders generally go to jail:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-mailman-arrested-not-delivering-40-000-pieces-mail-article-1.1952684

Happens too often. A coworker of mine was caught with 500,000 pieces of undelivered mail stored in a storage locker. His father was VP in charge of Western Canada lol.

CGC recently sent me a graded 3.5 copy of Tales of Suspense #39 (1st appearance of Iron Man). ComicsPriceGuide.com lists the value around $1920. Recently the comic with equal or lower grades has sold on eBay for closer to $3500. I insured the comic for $2000. It was sent to me by CGC as USPS Registered Mail. It was "delivered" to my front porch, signed for by a USPS mail carrier, and was stolen soon after from the porch. I live in busy Los Angeles, where there is a high crime rate for petty theft, etc. The local Post Office manager admitted that the USPS was at fault, that my mail carrier under no circumstances should sign for something on my behalf and leave a parcel on my front porch, especially something insured for 2K under registered mail. But in order to process an insurance claim the USPS requires "proof of value" for my stolen item. According to the USPS, "the amount claimed must be supported by acceptable proof of value showing completion of payment, such as dated sales receipt, money order, credit card statement, a copy of the front and back of a cancelled check or proof of completed internet payment transaction, indicating the actual amount paid." Seeing as I've owned this collectable comic since a child, and I simply sent it to CGC to get graded, how do I provide an acceptable proof of value to have a successful claim to the USPS? What should I do? Thanks!

Do I have a story for you....

Kav, the post office won't put someone on non delivery because he pressed the post office.

They will put you on non delivery if it's hazardous to deliver your house, dogs, no sidewalk, bees, snow, etc or if you've threatened your letter carrier.

Kav, the post office won't put someone on non delivery because he pressed the post office.

They will put you on non delivery if it's hazardous to deliver your house, dogs, no sidewalk, bees, snow, etc or if you've threatened your letter carrier.

(thumbs u

In that case this dude probably didn't tell the full story-perhaps he threatened someone when he got angry...

The other thread where this happened the postal worker faced no consequences for doing this.

Isn't losing a registered letter an event that can lead to termination? The employee himself should be doing everything possible to quash this complaint, including paying out of pocket.

Forget termination, isn't mail theft a felony offense?

The other thread where this happened the postal worker faced no consequences for doing this.

Link?

Anyone remember the thread-The guy slab was left in the hallway of his apt building by a seasonal employee.

Isn't losing a registered letter an event that can lead to termination?

But according to the OP, this parcel wasn't "lost" -- it was wrongfully signed for by the carrier, dropped at the front door, and then stolen by...someone. Possibly a passerby, but also (possibly) by the carrier or an associate.

Who knows?

Let's just say that there are lots of questions still to be answered here...

Link?
Anyone remember the thread-The guy slab was left in the hallway of his apt building by a seasonal employee.

...but was it a Registered Mail parcel?

I get First Class and (non-sig) Priority Mail boxes dropped at the door all the time. But I have yet to have a mandatory signature-required package left to rot on my porch...