• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,647 posts in this topic

[fading on FH books]

>> inks of dubious quality with low pigment content were used resulting in

>> copies that vary more widely within a print run

I also think that's the likely explanation. The fading exists between issues, but

also within a particular issue. And on books with supple, white pages -- which

leads me to believe that sunlight/heat is not what creates this.

A couple of examples:

rangers_comparison_01.JPG

rangers_comparison_2.jpg

The vividness of the cover image has become very important to me. I didn't

pay any attention to this when I started out with FH books, but now a faded

cover is the kiss of death in my eyes. And it is curious that CGC seemingly

pays no attention to this in their grading.

cheers,

gozer

---------------------

Founded by prostitutes in 1849, and serviced by prostitute express riders

who could bring in a fresh prostitute from Saint Joe in three days;

Bloodbath Gulch quickly became known as a place where a trail hand

could spend a month's pay in three minutes.

>> If collectors don't read (or at least look at) the stories, they're

>> missing out on a lot of entertainment.

I disagree with you about that.

I've read about a dozen issues of Planet, and the stories ... uh ... well, hmmm,

how to say this politely ... they just s u c k.

They're standard space opera, bug-eyed monster silliness. Cardboard characters,

generic plots, and lots of women in short skirts or short tunics (not that there's

anything wrong with that!).

Aside from the novelty value, I don't see the attraction. I've never had a reason

to go back and read any of them again.

I contrast this with the 1950s EC science fiction comics which came later,

which actually did have readable stories, a bit of humor, and the usual

twist ending (heavy debt to O Henry).

cheers,

gozer

------------------------

Welcome futurists, cyberphiles, and the rest of you dateless wonders.

I've read about a dozen issues of Planet, and the stories ... uh ... well, hmmm,

how to say this politely ... they just s u c k.

I just can't agree much with this statement.

Sure, they aren't Faulkner or Twain but they are a heckuva lot of fun.

this one is low grade, and has crappy PQ....but I really like the cover, so what the heck.....

That's a real beaut, Steve.

this one is low grade, and has crappy PQ....but I really like the cover, so what the heck.....

So now my 7.5 with white pages that WAS the highest graded issue is now the second highest graded. What are the odds of there being three issues from 1941 being graded and two of them having white pages? And how improbable is it that it would be a Fiction House comic?

Aside from my instant urge to strangle you for taking away my highest graded status, that's a beautiful book.

So now my 7.5 with white pages that WAS the highest graded issue is now the second highest graded. What are the odds of there being three issues from 1941 being graded and two of them having white pages? And how improbable is it that it would be a Fiction House comic?

Aside from my instant urge to strangle you for taking away my highest graded status, that's a beautiful book.

Well Seank, here's what I would do for you..........

I don't want to see you in prison for strangling me, and I would hate to be strangeld anyway ( sounds violent and icky ).

I would sell my highest graded 29 to you for $2,000 ( a very fair price considering it's NM- , has WHITE pages, and is the highest graded copy likely never to be topped ). You could sell your VF- for .....oh, let's say $750. This means for $1250 out of your pocket after your sale, you can go back to owning the highest graded copy with identical unimprovable PQ.

The offer is on the table buddy....you can let my book really bother you, or you can make it yours!

Steve

I don't want to see you in prison for strangling me, and I would hate to be strangeld anyway ( sounds violent and icky ).

I would sell my highest graded 29 to you for $2,000 ( a very fair price considering it's NM- , has WHITE pages, and is the highest graded copy likely never to be topped ). You could sell your VF- for .....oh, let's say $750. This means for $1250 out of your pocket after your sale, you can go back to owning the highest graded copy with identical unimprovable PQ.

The offer is on the table buddy....you can let my book really bother you, or you can make it yours!

Steve

Something must be wrong with CGC's software....it seems that we're able to read peoples PM's offering comics for sale...oh, it's not a PM? Oops.... my bad. Just kidding, I hope things aren't all that bad Showcase. But I have to tell you...I get creeped out when I read "Here's what I would do for you" and "icky" in the same post. It makes me think of Congress for some strange reason. :baiting::devil:

Steve

Were I to spend $1250 on a book I already own, assuming I could sell the 7.5 for $750, my wife would strangle us both. And I'm really happy with the 7.5 anyway. I'd rather put the $$$$ Jumbos I don't already have.

As Jumbo 29 is probably my oldest book now, I have to say that reading the back cover was far more interesting and fun than ogling the front cover.

Sooooo sorry about that Sean! :sorry:

Who knew when I sold you that book Steve was going to whip out a 9.2 the very next week. (shrug)

I still feel that your copy is undergraded and presents more like a 8.0 or 8.5

Congrats on the 9.2 Steve (thumbs u

Sooooo sorry about that Sean! :sorry:

Who knew when I sold you that book Steve was going to whip out a 9.2 the very next week. (shrug)

I still feel that your copy is undergraded and presents more like a 8.0 or 8.5

Congrats on the 9.2 Steve (thumbs u

You have nothing to be sorry about. You sold me a great book at a fair price.

We'll just talk about Steve behind his back at the Castle in November.

Why would Steve collect Wings? What is about that book that would make it of interest?

I'll definitely need some time to ponder this. hm

:gossip: nice pickup!