• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,651 posts in this topic

Found time to pull out my Wings 53 (see below).

The splash page of the Suicide Smith story features a British Typhoon (see below as well).

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia about the Typhoon - Hawker Typhoon

"By 1943 the RAF needed a dedicated ground attack fighter more than a "pure" fighter, and the Typhoon was suited to the role. The powerful engine allowed the aircraft to carry a massive load of (eventually) up to two 1,000 lb (454 kg) bombs, equal to the light bombers of only a few years earlier. The bomb-equipped aircraft were nicknamed "Bombphoons" and entered service with No. 181 Squadron, formed in September 1942.

From September 1943 Typhoons could also be armed with four "60 lb" RP-3 rockets under each wing.[nb 5] In October 1943, No. 181 Squadron made the first Typhoon rocket strikes. Although the rocket projectiles were inaccurate and took some considerable skill to aim properly and allow for the drop after firing, "the sheer firepower of just one Typhoon was equivalent to a destroyer's broadside."[26]"

All told, it doesn't look that it was a particularly good nor reliable plane but wartime exigencies allowed it to survive though repurposed more than once and continually improved on for the sake of war demands. The color pic is dated 1943.

116254.jpg.c346db970c914e5b9308484c58304c3a.jpg

116255.jpg.d7b0bb944d61d9c4428c7592a3d89d62.jpg

Found time to pull out my Wings 53 (see below).

The splash page of the Suicide Smith story features a British Typhoon (see below as well).

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia about the Typhoon - Hawker Typhoon

"By 1943 the RAF needed a dedicated ground attack fighter more than a "pure" fighter, and the Typhoon was suited to the role. The powerful engine allowed the aircraft to carry a massive load of (eventually) up to two 1,000 lb (454 kg) bombs, equal to the light bombers of only a few years earlier. The bomb-equipped aircraft were nicknamed "Bombphoons" and entered service with No. 181 Squadron, formed in September 1942.

From September 1943 Typhoons could also be armed with four "60 lb" RP-3 rockets under each wing.[nb 5] In October 1943, No. 181 Squadron made the first Typhoon rocket strikes. Although the rocket projectiles were inaccurate and took some considerable skill to aim properly and allow for the drop after firing, "the sheer firepower of just one Typhoon was equivalent to a destroyer's broadside."[26]"

All told, it doesn't look that it was a particularly good nor reliable plane but wartime exigencies allowed it to survive though repurposed more than once and continually improved on for the sake of war demands. The color pic is dated 1943.

Good piece of history Scrooge. The Typhoon didn't perform as well as the Spitfire or the P51B Mustang, but with a load of rockets or bombs, it caused a lot of damage.

Good piece of history Scrooge. The Typhoon didn't perform as well as the Spitfire or the P51B Mustang, but with a load of rockets or bombs, it caused a lot of damage.

Thanks BB :foryou:

How can you trust a plane that has a tendency to lose its tail!!! :screwy:

And, though deadly with its bomb load, with an accuracy rate of 4% on smaller armored vehicles, it seems woefully mis-purposed. I guess with that low of a success rate, you make it up with tonnage.

The Wing Tips in that issue is about a heavy carrier nicknamed The Flying Catfish. I wasn't able to ID it. There is a 4F4 Wildcat and 4F4 Catfish but that's not the plane and a more recent Flying Catfish plane but I can't seem to find the right "Flying Catfish". Any idea? If needed I can scan the page.

Just screwing around with some software to create GIFs. The file is too big and the quality is too low. Oh well.

Turned out just fine spectacular! :applause:

I don't own many Jumbos (compared to Jungles for example) so I enjoyed reading this one today (thanks Phil) and discovering the regulars in Jumbo and quite enjoyed the whole book.

My favorite was Lee Ames' Stuart Taylor who travels through time to have adventures. In this story, he and his GF and her father travel to ancient Persia to meet with King Croesus, Solon and King Cyrus. Quite fun.

I also enjoyed Lightning and was surprised to see a super-hero feature in a Fiction House book. They really didn't run many. What are other FH SHs?

Lots of recognizable artists helped on this book: Webb, Ames, Blum, Leav, Winter, Cassone + the Zolne cover, this was a happy purchase :)

3195012152_fb0ac9866a.jpg

Super-American was another brief hero in briefs. Found this issue in the discount box at Bob Horn's shop. I would like another in better condition but the price was more than fair.

:D

FightComics_16_Front_CGC_90_Rockford_GA.jpg

Ahhh Sunday nights when hopes and dreams live and die with ebay auction closes...

One Planet Comics addition for me this week, seller didnt have a back scan or seem to be very comic savvy, but price was right and condition seems in my wheelhouse (4-5ish). I'll forgive the miscut/aligned cover (look at top right) for the sake of the sharp colors.

planet27--.jpg

A little girl saving girl action this time. With a monster to boot!

Edited by Miraclemet

Posted these in other threads, but I like them enough to post here, also.

JungleComics44.jpg

:applause: # 44 and its twin are both on my want list. Gotta love nice FH at low prices.

Got this Wings in today for all of a grand total of $10.49 shipped to me. Quite happy. GA collecting doesn't have to be an expensive proposition -

116411.jpg.03b5e4667f421cdaf448231df2f199ce.jpg

Nice book, Scrooge.

With a swastika on the cover no less.

GA collecting doesn't have to be an expensive proposition -

Completely true. Especially if you like to read the books, then you can buy mid-grade copies on the cheap and go to town. (thumbs u

Nice book, Scrooge.

With a swastika on the cover no less.

GA collecting doesn't have to be an expensive proposition -

Completely true. Especially if you like to read the books, then you can buy mid-grade copies on the cheap and go to town. (thumbs u

Agreed, sometimes Wings books are priced very reasonably in autions. I paid under $20 for this book last year. The book does have a light 2 1/2 inch crease in the lower right hand corner, otherwise it would have been around VF-.

Wings_119-1.jpg