• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,655 posts in this topic

Nice Planets, Cheetah!

I don't recall seeing but one other WM Fiction House before this one.

Planet68.jpg

I don't own many Jumbos (compared to Jungles for example) so I enjoyed reading this one today (thanks Phil) and discovering the regulars in Jumbo and quite enjoyed the whole book.

My favorite was Lee Ames' Stuart Taylor who travels through time to have adventures. In this story, he and his GF and her father travel to ancient Persia to meet with King Croesus, Solon and King Cyrus. Quite fun.

I also enjoyed Lightning and was surprised to see a super-hero feature in a Fiction House book. They really didn't run many. What are other FH SHs?

Lots of recognizable artists helped on this book: Webb, Ames, Blum, Leav, Winter, Cassone + the Zolne cover, this was a happy purchase :)

115427.jpg.d0b0ba48f64e63e97aa2865e07aaf1b8.jpg

I don't own many Jumbos (compared to Jungles for example) so I enjoyed reading this one today (thanks Phil) and discovering the regulars in Jumbo and quite enjoyed the whole book.

My favorite was Lee Ames' Stuart Taylor who travels through time to have adventures. In this story, he and his GF and her father travel to ancient Persia to meet with King Croesus, Solon and King Cyrus. Quite fun.

I also enjoyed Lightning and was surprised to see a super-hero feature in a Fiction House book. They really didn't run many. What are other FH SHs?

Lots of recognizable artists helped on this book: Webb, Ames, Blum, Leav, Winter, Cassone + the Zolne cover, this was a happy purchase :)

3195012152_fb0ac9866a.jpg

Super-American was another brief hero in briefs. Found this issue in the discount box at Bob Horn's shop. I would like another in better condition but the price was more than fair.

Thanks. I believe I am not the only one who likes covers making use / depicting landmarks like the # 53 below. Oopps. I haven't scanned the copy I got a few months back. Hopefully I can dig it out soon.

One I didn't win I really should have been more aggressive on is Wings # 37 - Sneak Blitz where "Nazi monsters bomb nations capital in mystery raid" on the cover of which the capitol is bombed.

Meanwhile, years later, Whitman did some fantastic job for the company, esp. when his work is moodily colored as in this Cowgirl Romances # 11. We talk about his work on the Jungle titles more than anything else but this is a fantastic cover, one of my favorites of his, along with Kaänga # 18.

115893.jpg.50f7cda679b36c9cf2a5a6ff8e13e096.jpg

Thanks. I believe I am not the only one who likes covers making use / depicting landmarks like the # 53 below. Oopps. I haven't scanned the copy I got a few months back. Hopefully I can dig it out soon.

One I didn't win I really should have been more aggressive on is Wings # 37 - Sneak Blitz where "Nazi monsters bomb nations capital in mystery raid" on the cover of which the capitol is bombed.

Meanwhile, years later, Whitman did some fantastic job for the company, esp. when his work is moodily colored as in this Cowgirl Romances # 11. We talk about his work on the Jungle titles more than anything else but this is a fantastic cover, one of my favorites of his, along with Kaänga # 18.

He did some pretty decent interiors for FH also. His Ghost Squadron stories near the end of the Wings run are REAL nice. I've seen other material at the tail end of several of the FH titles that look like uncredited Whitman work. Those Cowgirl Romances are VERY cool. I also picked up a Planet 66 with no tanning to the cover :cloud9:GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

PLANET66.jpg

scan0018-2.jpg

scan0016-5.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

Meanwhile, years later, Whitman did some fantastic job for the company, esp. when his work is moodily colored as in this Cowgirl Romances # 11.

The Cowgirl Romance is impressive art from Whitman, though I think it very much enhanced by the color design and printing that consistently produced jewel-like tones. :cloud9:

We talk about his work on the Jungle titles more than anything else .

Don't make me post my Planets. :baiting:

You are definitely right about the versatility that he displayed in a prolific outpouring of covers for FH in the early 50s. I don't think there's anyone that so successfully dominated a publisher's entire line in the 50s. From Jungle to sci-fi to war to romance to Westerns, he could and did draw it all beautifully, with not a "dud" among them.

Certainly Ogden Whitney was ACG's go-to guy but I don't think he consistently delivered the same high quality as Whitman. Baker did wonders for St John, but, whether through choice or art direction, didn't quite produce the range of images and themes.

Ive been bitten by the Planet bug... here's my first...

:applause:

You can quit any time you want. Just ask Cheetah. :kidaround: