• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,646 posts in this topic

OS is loopy on Seven Seas prices. #2 is dirt common,with #1 being a little less so. #s 3, 4, 5, and 6, the GGA issues are tougher. 3 is probably the easiest of them to find, next being 6, then 4 and 5.

All of this IMHO.

But for the Baker art in #s 1 and 2, they wouldn't command high prices at all. I find the covers quite awful.

Ever so slowly the guide is acknowledging that great covers trump non-key first issues in terms of interest and value.

It wasn't that long ago that many high demand pre-code crime and horror books had a lower guide value than the first issues

of the title. A hold over from the superhero-centric roots of comic collecting - unless there is a compelling reason (scarcity, first appearance, continuing character, long running title, etc.), that issue #1 of a short-lived title is worth more than the next few issues seems archaic thinking.

"I think Ghost Squadron is the berries" -- HAW! and apparently it's GOOD to be the berries

Good find, Scrooge.

Jack

(strictly hubba-hubba stuff)

Jack, here's an update on your berries. I was reading my Buzz Sawyer collection by Roy Crane this evening and came across more berries which I'll share with every one -

1659620-RoyCraneBuzzSawyerBerries.jpg

1659620-RoyCraneBuzzSawyerBerries.jpg.28b81b50719130c30275135705a05f02.jpg

"I think Ghost Squadron is the berries" -- HAW! and apparently it's GOOD to be the berries

Good find, Scrooge.

Jack

Jack, here's an update on your berries. I was reading my Buzz Sawyer collection by Roy Crane this evening and came across more berries which I'll share with every one -

Beautiful Zip-a-Tone work by the master!

Good find, Scrooge.

Jack

Thanks for lettin' me in on the hot cob, Scrooge. Includin' the butter and salt.

Jack

(lovely strip)

This probably my favorite cover in the run even though there are a lot or really cool early issues.

Ken

jungle159.jpg

Lovely book! Definitely one of my favorites as well! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Do any of you ever feel sorry for Whitman, him doing beautiful art for Fiction House in the early 1950s when we know the entire line is doomed for imminent failure? Imagine if he had been working for Marvel in the early 1960s. He'd probably be as famous as Kirby nowadays.

Do any of you ever feel sorry for Whitman, him doing beautiful art for Fiction House in the early 1950s when we know the entire line is doomed for imminent failure? Imagine if he had been working for Marvel in the early 1960s. He'd probably be as famous as Kirby nowadays.

Difficult to speculate, but yes, Kirby aside (cause he IS the king grin.gif) Most other of the legendary pencilers like Ditko for instance owes atleast a part of his success to being at the right place at the right time...

Still amazes me how relative affordable later Jungle issues are when they surface, even in high grade. also true for midissues with no Matt Baker and no bondage covers... and Fran Hopper and Lily Renee are almost as excellent as Matt B.. yay.gif

The few i have cracked have given me thorough enjoyment, but think i will maintain the rest in slabs and instead look for reader copies on the bay..

My latest Heritage batch contained a number of Jungle's from the crippen collection... know there is much fuss about the D copies and i havent anything to compare with since all my Jungle's are D copies but those i have seems sharp enough for the grade, especially the two cracked they are virtually unread and shows only wear due to 60 years of mostly bad storage (in modern terms)

Apologise for bad scans, my scanner is doing particularly bad with Thicker slabs..

frustrated.gif

Jungle 60

Jungle60.jpg

Quite a dramatic cover tongue.gif

jungle 95

jungle95.jpg

Maurice Whitman kicks in! awesome cover imo, my cracking fingers are itching so much i think i need another cup of coffee wink.gif

i love how particular the later Jungle covers displays so much action and "movement" being a kid in the 40's i would have spent all my pennies on FH books even without the highligts and bondage.... and thats saying something tongue.gif