• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,640 posts in this topic

Well I have officially entered the Fiction House Collectors Club. Only have 4 books, but it's a start. Granted, my books aren't the HG gems some of you guys have.

My First acquisition, was a gift from OldGuy or Pvertyrow, I forget now.

Jumbo Comics #139

jumbo139.jpg

Nice start to the FH collection. Prepare to be obsessed.

This book along with the next one were both in the same lot in a recent Heritage auction. Paid a little more than I wanted to, but still got a couple great books. There is some soiling on both books, especially near the spine.

Wings Comics #78

wings78.jpg

Don't "apologize" for the condition or blemish on your books. Remember, the Book is the thing.

Addictions for FH have to start someplace.

jon

and one of my many grails for the FH books. When I heard that Lily Renee was going to be in SD this year, this is the book that I wanted to have her sign. The hard part was finding a a nice copy. Got lucky today and found one that has a little wear on it.

Planet Comics #39

planet39.jpg

Looks like you have been bitten by the GA bug! 893whatthe.gif

Nice books -- love that spiderwoman cover!

TOo me...my personal taste has alway been to generally avoid FICTION HOUSE...for one, there were SO MANY different directions to go with GOLDEN AGE ...two, these seemed to be fairly PLENTIFUL....plus...although the cover images SEEMED to be pretty cool, they always seemed to LOOK LIKE they were WASHED OUT or FADED....

I don't know, nobody ever made me sit down and "LOOK AT THESE FICTION HOUSE BOOKS"....pretty cool, but most still seem faded or WASHED OUT....

fightcomics.jpg

TOo me...my personal taste has alway been to generally avoid FICTION HOUSE...for one, there were SO MANY different directions to go with GOLDEN AGE ...two, these seemed to be fairly PLENTIFUL....plus...although the cover images SEEMED to be pretty cool, they always seemed to LOOK LIKE they were WASHED OUT or FADED....

I don't know, nobody ever made me sit down and "LOOK AT THESE FICTION HOUSE BOOKS"....pretty cool, but most still seem faded or WASHED OUT....

As much as I love FH, the fading/washing out problem is distinct and a pet peeve. For me, part of the hunt is finding covers with nice, rich color. I'll pass on a structural VF that's faded.

Nice pickup on the Planet 39, deathlok...several of us visited the same dealer after you in hopes of locating that book grin.gif

For me, part of the hunt is finding covers with nice, rich color.

I think this issue will qualify...from Harley Yee this weekend. For some reason, I've never seen a Planet 34 this nice (and it has great pages, too):

100_1756.jpg

STEVE

Nice pickup on the Planet 39, deathlok...several of us visited the same dealer after you in hopes of locating that book grin.gif

I think this issue will qualify...from Harley Yee this weekend. For some reason, I've never seen a Planet 34 this nice (and it has great pages, too):

100_1756.jpg

STEVE

Very nice, Steve. It was great to see you again. Hopefully we can spend more time chatting in SD about FH books.

As much as I love FH, the fading/washing out problem is distinct and a pet peeve. For me, part of the hunt is finding covers with nice, rich color. I'll pass on a structural VF that's faded.

Me too. Only going after FH books with the "right" colors is a tall task indeed. They are a lot harder to find than one might think.

Me too. Only going after FH books with the "right" colors is a tall task indeed. They are a lot harder to find than one might think.

There's often a trade-off between structure/condition v. color. I'll buy a deeply-colored VG/F book over a washed out VF anyday. It's all in the eye-appeal.

100_1756.jpg

STEVE

Oh it qualifies allright! 893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

100_1756.jpg

STEVE

Allow a noob to compliment you on a beautiful book. Very sharp. Planet Comics is on my wish list... in about a decade after I finish Tec. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Allow a noob to compliment you on a beautiful book. Very sharp.

Thanks Griz - I am very happy with it (and I should mention that the seller - Harley Yee - had a very reasonable price on the book).

Pound-for-pound, I think Planet is one of the primo runs of the Golden Age.

STEVE

Allow a noob to compliment you on a beautiful book. Very sharp.

Thanks Griz - I am very happy with it (and I should mention that the seller - Harley Yee - had a very reasonable price on the book).

Pound-for-pound, I think Planet is one of the primo runs of the Golden Age.

STEVE

Good to know. I have never bought from Harley Yee, although I have browsed his booth at Wizard Chicago many times and I know he is a reputable dealer. I found his pricing was a bit high for me on the things I was interested in.

I love the Planet Comics covers. I really don't know much yet about them other than they look great. I think Bill Jourdain did a podcast on them in his Golden Age site. I'll have to download it again. Again, wonderful addition for you.