• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,639 posts in this topic

Today I recieved one of my top 3 all time favorite visits from Fed EX.

These two beauties came in 1 box. The #33 leaves me speechless.

11-18-2008034.jpg

11-18-2008045.jpg

Man O' Man!!! That #33 sure is pretty! Congrats!

Number #33 and #35 are two of my favorite Planet covers. (worship)

Kelholt -- those two copies of Planet just knock my socks off !!!

Wow.

Seeing those in 9.4 is just amazing. And like Fuelman, numbers 33 and 35

are two of my favorites also. Space babes in short skirts -- yowza!

gozer

As I display some Planet Comics, I am going to articulate two opinions (i.e. my opinion, in that others will disagree- ):

1. Zolnerowich is the greatest underappreciated cover artist of the GA.

2. From issue #1 to issue #72, Planet Comics, as a run, is the most visually stunning "book for book" of the GA.

(No, Fox runs do not make it. Too short and some are simply uninspired)

(Master Comics great when Raboy was doing it, but that is just part of the run)

(Ut- Marvel Mystery is up there, but a bit repetitive "book for book")

Okay- I have put on my kevlar vest.

Jon

72881.jpg.48f0cff384de6ce54344be44ee67f7a7.jpg

72882.jpg.467940d4112378b7ff3a8c19a7dc337f.jpg

72883.jpg.649fbab96655526b184d597212f045fb.jpg

72884.jpg.67aa3649c521aed16e318565c02c822a.jpg

72885.jpg.89002fe2189b63223c1b7cd719b71221.jpg

2. From issue #1 to issue #72, Planet Comics, as a run, is the most visually stunning "book for book" of the GA.

It's certainly one of my favourite cover runs, but shouldn't Marvel Mystery or one of the other Timely titles be considered?

As I display some Planet Comics, I am going to articulate two opinions (i.e. my opinion, in that others will disagree- ):

The more I see of Zolnerowich's work, the more I like it. He's like a bookend to Maurice Whitman who did lots of great work at the end of FH's life.

You may be right about the visually stunning thing. And the innards aren't bad either, from the few I've read.

You will get no arguments from me on those 2 points:

1) Zolne had the capability to stay fresh in the images he created for those covers. A question Jon: how much interior work did he do and on what series? Overall, I find Zolne's use of fine line inking very attractive since that made his covers some of the most photo-realistic (before that style even existed) of the Golden Age. In my mind, in addition to his composition, that's what makes him stand out, and

2) yes, the Planet run is a dream. Would I be willing to spend more $$ per issue on a run, I would go for a Planet run in a heart beat. I'm curious to hear what other series people are going to mention as a challenge to your assertion :popcorn: but none come to mind to me at the moment ... even though I do like the Military / Modern run until it turned sour (even though the covers tended to be more conceptual than representative) and the Captain America run should also be a contender ...

Jon

Have to say that I agree with you there, Jon. I do love those Zolnerowich covers! And indeed, the entire run of Planet is just great. I'm a cover man, myself, but for those who have never actually opened up almost any issue of Planet and read the stories and looked at the beautiful artwork throughout most issues, it is a real treat! I've posted this before, but this is just another example of beautiful Zolnerowich goodness.

By the way, Jon, gorgeous Planets you have there. I especially like the #11 and #14. :cloud9:

— Rick

Planet-19.jpg

It's certainly one of my favourite cover runs, but shouldn't Marvel Mystery or one of the other Timely titles be considered?

In my original post I did reference Marvel Mystery, but went on to emphasize "book to book" standard put Planet as #1 to me. It is the lack of variety of cover concept that keeps MM from the #1 run as the "most visually stunning title book for book of the GA".

It is just an opinion- but an interesting topic with no "right or wrong" answer.

jon

Jon

Agreed on all counts, Jon!

Now post that Larson Planet 6 :cry:

Jon

Agreed on all counts, Jon!

Now post that Larson Planet 6 :cry:

Yes Sir!

72900.jpg.13e9d30212c607751b857562e49aa68a.jpg