• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics for a Living

103 posts in this topic

I think EVERYONE should spend part of their youth living in either NY or LA. OR if you really want to shake up your life and start over, consider the military, you get a lot more options after that...

San Francisco or San Diego are pretty nice, too. For being a major metropolitan area though, San Diego has a really nice low-key, laid-back feel. :D

Both NY and SF have good public transportation systems. SoCal, public transpo is pretty bad so you do kinda need a car.

can't start in San Diego, you'll never want to move anywhere else, it spoils you. You learn all about logistics and time management driving in LA. And it'll likely force you to get in shape.

I hate to be the one with the opposing side to this. Stay in Iowa,greener pastures are not in L.A.

Los Angeles would just eat you up. I know people have had thoughts of great opportunity,but it's just tough .

I think EVERYONE should spend part of their youth living in either NY or LA. OR if you really want to shake up your life and start over, consider the military, you get a lot more options after that...

San Francisco or San Diego are pretty nice, too. For being a major metropolitan area though, San Diego has a really nice low-key, laid-back feel. :D

Both NY and SF have good public transportation systems. SoCal, public transpo is pretty bad so you do kinda need a car.

can't start in San Diego, you'll never want to move anywhere else, it spoils you. You learn all about logistics and time management driving in LA. And it'll likely force you to get in shape.

Heh, I know. Currently live in the LA area but thinking of moving to San Diego for retirement. :D

Getting in shape in LA? Probably not. Just don't have the energy to exercise after dealing with all that traffic. Riding a bike instead of commuting is like asking for an accident. :P

Also, like someone said, if you haven't already, find someone to love who loves you back.

You make it seem as easy as picking lemons from the fruit section of a grocery store.

Be careful before buying into the idea that it takes someone else to "complete" who you are.

Women dont like incomplete men I have found

CA especially LA really sucks. Earthquakes, traffic, gang shootings, too many people and bad air. Seriously, LA is a rough place to make it. Most out of towners go back where they came from pretty soon. There are a lot of Subways though...

There is that. lol

I'm sure most of you relate: this hobby is a big part of my life and makes me very happy. Where it comes in relation to other priorities (family, work, etc) is an individual thing.

I'm a single guy, no kids, 27 years old, no college, manager of a Subway that I've been at almost 8 years.

Before I started collecting (roughly 3 years ago) I was very depressed. I wont go into a big personal story because :blahblah: but once I got seriously into collecting and made friends and started going to conventions, I snapped out of it. I felt I had...something to live for. The stories, the art, the hunt, the people. Comics and the world of collecting is the first thing I think about when I wake up. Seeing other people's amazing collections fills me with pure joy. Traveling hours and hours to conventions and walking through shows makes me so happy I could fly. There's so much more I could detail...but you know what I mean.

Having management experience I've day dreamed about running a comic shop. But after some thought I've realized it's not a realistic path. I don't have the money to open my own business. It takes a lot more than just loving comics to do that. If I won the lottery, then I might consider it. But even then...I've noticed the struggle of the current LCS. And I have zero interest in Magic the Gathering. It'd be fun to just work at a shop...but I haven't found a position in my area. My job isn't horrible...it pays nicely and is simple for the most part. I try to appreciate it because it supports me and my hobby. But time flies and soon I'll be 30 and I'll still be there, wishing I was doing something else with my time. Something I truly cared about.

Lately I've been brainstorming what sort of possibilities there might be for work in the comic world. I sit and think..."Man, I'd love to work for Wizard World. I wonder if that's possible?" (Cant find much on their site other than volunteering) Or..."I wish I knew a vendor that I could travel with and help and go to con after con. I'd move anywhere to do that." Maybe that wouldn't pay a ton but it'd still be fun. I'd consider a pay cut if it meant doing something that I was passionate about. And it could possibly lead to better things. I would love to help run an existing shop somewhere else, but it seems most of the time shop owners don't have that type of opening. Maybe I just have too many "buts" in my ponderings?

Why am I posting this? I suppose I am reaching out. I hope its appropriate. I cant think of another avenue with this much exposure that might have an opportunity. Or even just advice. I currently live in Des Moines, IA, but would love to pick up and move somewhere else. I've thought about going out to California because that's where most of the action is. Anyways, I appreciate your attention, advice, and anything you'd like to contribute on this subject. Thanks all.

IF YOU ARE SERIOUS, I know someone who is in the very near future opening a comic store who will need a manager. PM me.

Also, like someone said, if you haven't already, find someone to love who loves you back.

You make it seem as easy as picking lemons from the fruit section of a grocery store.

Be careful before buying into the idea that it takes someone else to "complete" who you are.

Well, try not to pick a lemon. But don't get so sucked into comic land that you aren't out there seeing of that someone is out there for you. If it doesn't happen, then so be it, but being lonely can be damn depressing. The OP has opened up and said comics have been a therapy for depression and the way he has described it, perhaps it substitutes for some other things. Frankly, I got back into them 23 years ago as a therapy for stress, I needed a distraction. Not that different.

Everyone: Thank You. I was on the fence about making this post but now I'm glad I did. Don't know how exactly to start a response to all of the great advice. You can bet I will be re-reading everything a few more times. I have some savings but do need to create a timeline to save a bit more to feel comfortable leaving.

California sounds very exciting. My mother hates the idea like most midwesterners. That's just the first place I think about...especially since I'm sick of the cold here. I need to check out LaLa Land! Ive thought about Texas too... but will go where opportunity and inspiration takes me. To OAKMAN: your advice is well put...but personally I feel like if Iowa was the place for me I'd know that by now. (shrug)

I've thought about working for CGC so might research that more.

To FlyingDonut: PM coming soon, thanks!

I know there's more I'd like to say but I have some messages to get to and have to finish my shift here at work. Thanks so much to all! (thumbs u

How about taking some of the money that you've saved and look for comic collections to buy. You can post notes on bulletin boards and check out local Craigslist ads (not always the best way to go but stuff can be found there). You can also hit antique shops and used book stores. Often you can find books at these places much cheaper than at comic shops or cons.

Once you have a large inventory, set up at cons in your area or even in-state. I'm sure there are also cons in Omaha, Kansas City, Chicago and St. Louis that are less than a day's drive from Des Moines. Once you set up at cons, you should have the opportunity to connect with other dealers and even buy stuff that people bring to cons. Plus, many shows are on the weekends, which may correspond with your current job. It's a lot of hard work, but if you can pick up a collection or two or sell some big-dollar books, it's worth it.

I know lots of dealers who do this along with their regular jobs. It's also quite popular as a retirement option.

Dont' know if any of this helps, but there are alternatives to opening a comic shop without the overhead.

Good luck!

Most of the guys I know with successful shops started off selling on the side at shows and flea markets. Just remember that as a shop owner you'll be looking at 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, to make about what you make at Subway. Relocating and finding another management gig at Subway may be a good start..... and try doing books on the side...... say, in Hawaii, or maybe Gulf Coast Texas. Dan's Northern Virginia isn't a bad area..... Virginia is beautiful.... and the state motto is "Virginia Is For Lovers" ..... so who knows (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think you should keep your day job and just start selling stuff on the internet. Work off a thin margin and keep plowing the profits back into inventory. But try to make that inventory "good" inventory. I think the best comicbook dealers are also the best buyers. You have to buy a lot of comics if you want to sell a lot of comics.

I've bought comic books from a lot of well known dealers, but I can promise you that I never, ever, set foot in their brick and mortar store, if they even had one. Instead, I bought from them over the internet, or at cons.

While you're doing your internet sales, consider expanding into other types of things you can buy and sell. If you can buy clothes for $10 and sell it for $20, then that's what you do. Or hats. Or watches. Whatever. Eventually, you can make enough profit buying and selling all kinds of stuff to more than replace your salary. But then keep plowing any money you make beyond your living expenses into buying more books.

And try to live cheap. Real cheap. The cheaper you can live, the sooner you can be your own boss.

I want to throw out another path, just because when you mentioned Wizard World, it sparked an idea.

I have a bit of experience in this only because I've spent 20+ years working in the sports field, and so I've sat down with hundreds of recent grads, everyone's nephew, niece or neighbor ... anyone who wants to "break in" to the field.

One thing a lot of us always try to do is tell people to pursue parallel paths. Prepare yourself for your dream job but also for other really good careers, you know? In my case this means steering everyone far, far away from "Sports Management degrees" lol Get an MBA or a law degree, people!

But I digress!

OP... you should investigate facility or event management. See if you can get a job at the location that hosts whatever Comic Con comes through your area. Places like that are often hiring and you learn a lot of different jobs and there's often a lot of room for movement. From the event management side (marketing and promotion) the the facility side (dealing with construction and set up).

You'd work on concerts too, whatever sporting events they host, other big events in town... always have tickets in your pocket.... its a hard job, lots of hours but a good one.

PLUS? With that kind of experience you can take that and go anywhere. You can go work for a Comic Con organizer directly, you can hook up with a band, you can join the circus (don't.. they're scary! especially the clowns!).

Anyway.. just a thought... event/facility mangement. Something you might want to check out!!

I think you should keep your day job and just start selling stuff on the internet. Work off a thin margin and keep plowing the profits back into inventory. But try to make that inventory "good" inventory. I think the best comicbook dealers are also the best buyers. You have to buy a lot of comics if you want to sell a lot of comics.

I've bought comic books from a lot of well known dealers, but I can promise you that I never, ever, set foot in their brick and mortar store, if they even had one. Instead, I bought from them over the internet, or at cons.

While you're doing your internet sales, consider expanding into other types of things you can buy and sell. If you can buy clothes for $10 and sell it for $20, then that's what you do. Or hats. Or watches. Whatever. Eventually, you can make enough profit buying and selling all kinds of stuff to more than replace your salary. But then keep plowing any money you make beyond your living expenses into buying more books.

And try to live cheap. Real cheap. The cheaper you can live, the sooner you can be your own boss.

I can echo this. I worked for a guy that set up at weekend card shows in their heyday. 1988-1990. He worked in the construction biz, and on weekends set up at shows. A local card store was going out of biz and he bought the whole thing. Shortly thereafter he started promoting shows at the Don Carters Bowling Alley and several malls. He opened a couple stores, first in the small town of Sunrise then at the new Sawgrass Mills Mall. He then was the promoter at all of the Mills Malls shows. He had Muhammad Ali, the Steel Curtain, the stars of the '72 Dolphins, etc. He was a workaholic and it was an interesting time.