• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BA Batman!

496 posts in this topic

Just opened my storage room and started looking thru about 30 boxes i haven't looked touched in about 5 years. I came across some mid to high grade Batman, Detective, Brave and the Bold and some other Bat titles. I hope to eventually get a list up, but anyone is interested please pm me.

Took a shot on this one. I know Jef Hinds under-grades and this issue is annoying to find in any condition. The scan is small, but I would not be shocked to get it in better than the advertised grade...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

BTW: he has a cheap copy of 227 up as well that also looks to be under-graded. I would buy it myself but I am trying to cut back on my spending where I can. Check it out. thumbsup2.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WD1V

No sooner said than done. That #227 is now mine. laugh.gif Now, I'm off to see what other super deals he has and I may get a few more. Thanks for the tip Andy. thumbsup2.gif

I found another Batman 227 for a $15 BIN, again listed as fine and looking undergraded. Bizarre. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This one I snagged for myself, the centering looks nice and it doesn't seem to have any glaring flaws. I will post it when I get it....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6530368906

Glad you like it. The bottom right corner crease is a bummer, didn't see that it the scan. Looks like a fine though. thumbsup2.gif Wonder how my 222 will turn out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Oh well, the price was cheap at any rate.

Glad you like it. The bottom right corner crease is a bummer, didn't see that it the scan. Looks like a fine though. thumbsup2.gif Wonder how my 222 will turn out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Oh well, the price was cheap at any rate.

Yeah, it's a fine, but a fine is fine with me. Bottom left corner color loss bugs me a little more than the right corner crease but I like having these mid-grade books to just kind of lie around. I don't have to worry about them like I do higher grade more expensive books. If I had an 8.0 or better it would be filed away and I'd rarely see it. With this 6.0 I can leave it on my desk or on a stack nearby and peruse it often without fear of damaging an expensive book.

Bottom left corner color loss bugs me a little more than the right corner crease

Really? I find that interesting, since almost nothing bothers me as much as a dogear does. I would rather have 4 spine stresses than a single corner crease of the same length. Always cool to find out what defects bother certain people and why. In any case, I am glad you like it...I would have felt guilty pointing out a book that you ended up being dissatisfied with. grin.gif

Really? I find that interesting, since almost nothing bothers me as much as a dogear does. I would rather have 4 spine stresses than a single corner crease of the same length. Always cool to find out what defects bother certain people and why. In any case, I am glad you like it...I would have felt guilty pointing out a book that you ended up being dissatisfied with. grin.gif

Yes, that's true. Collectors do have unique interests in what is acceptable or not acceptable when regarding defects. My #1 trouble spot is those ugly as hell white lines that show on the cover side of a spine when there is a miswrap. A little bit fine, but more than a 1/32" and it's not cool. I can deal with a few blunted corners and minor creases as well. A very thin line on a minor crease like above does not bother me as much as a chunk of color scraped or flaked off elsewhere, just seems incomplete. I also hate it when the issue # or price circle is cut off like in some Bronze DCs. An edge of a circle cut off is fine, but not if it affects the letters within the circle. I also prefer edge wear over cover "waviness", you know how when a book is not flat.

Funny thing is, it's these kinds of defects (or lack thereof) that will often dictate a price we will pay for a book over the actual overall grade of the book.

Yes, that's true. Collectors do have unique interests in what is acceptable or not acceptable when regarding defects. My #1 trouble spot is those ugly as hell white lines that show on the cover side of a spine when there is a miswrap. A little bit fine, but more than a 1/32" and it's not cool. I can deal with a few blunted corners and minor creases as well. A very thin line on a minor crease like above does not bother me as much as a chunk of color scraped or flaked off elsewhere, just seems incomplete. I also hate it when the issue # or price circle is cut off like in some Bronze DCs. An edge of a circle cut off is fine, but not if it affects the letters within the circle. I also prefer edge wear over cover "waviness", you know how when a book is not flat.

Funny thing is, it's these kinds of defects (or lack thereof) that will often dictate a price we will pay for a book over the actual overall grade of the book.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I myself hate corner creases the most. Spine wear hardly bothers me at all. I don't mind a slight miswrap as long as it is not diagonal (can't stand that and it looks like total [#@$%!!!]). Production/nutsac creases don't bother me and neither does staple placement. Color loss is not a huge deal as long as it is a color fleck and not a tape lift. I couldn't care less about page quality as long as they are CR/OW or better. Color inks, cover whiteness, and gloss have popped to the top of my list lately as far as things I look for. Also, corner blunting is starting to annoy me more than it used to.

I think our last few posts demonstrate pretty well how subjective grading is....out own personal likes and dislikes will factor into a numerical grade no matter how much we try to keep them out. Like you said, that will affect the price more than the grade will.

I found another Batman 227 for a $15 BIN, again listed as fine and looking undergraded. Bizarre

I got one from Nostalgia Zone that was graded a VG but is definitely around a Fine. I couldn't be happier with the book, or the price.

I found another Batman 227 for a $15 BIN, again listed as fine and looking undergraded. Bizarre

I got one from Nostalgia Zone that was graded a VG but is definitely around a Fine. I couldn't be happier with the book, or the price.

$15 again? I smell a price fix! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Can't go wrong on that price for that book. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think I only paid 12 bucks plus shipping, but that was over a month ago, and I can't even remember yesterday! tongue.gif

I'm officially putting TEC 392-445 on my to buy list...the gothic themes on the Adams covers closely mimic my horror collection, and you can't go wrong with Kaluta and Adams covers. One of my first Batman books included a story on the Spook, so go figure...I remember reading the Man-Bat stories as well...should be fun collecting them (probably will start next year, since my budget is blown for this year).

Nice! You probably already know this, but you should check out the regular Batman issues as well, many have gothic/horror type covers including: 221, 222, 224, 227, 235, 236, 237, 240, 242 and 255.

...and you gotta get a copy of Brave & Bold 93! cloud9.gif

Nice! You probably already know this, but you should check out the regular Batman issues as well, many have gothic/horror type covers including: 221, 222, 224, 227, 235, 236, 237, 240, 242 and 255.

Oh yeah, will do...limiting my exposure (to lost funds) by narrowing my focus thumbsup2.gif

Oh yeah, will do...limiting my exposure (to lost funds) by narrowing my focus thumbsup2.gif

I hear that. For me I like to have a wide, wide focus so I can grab whatever deal is best at the time. That's the way to go if you are a miserly, bargain-hunting cheapass like me.