• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BA Batman!

496 posts in this topic

Do you have a link to that registry, Buck?

My MO towards collecting Batman and Detective is to try to buy the key issues in NM if possible and the filler issues in F+ or VF. I'd say at least 80% of those two titles in my collection would fit that description. I have Batman 144 to current and Detective 320 to current right now. I have only a few keys that I'd like to upgrade such as Batman 171 and Detective 359.

Thanks. I started recollecting as an "adult" in the 90's. I lucked into a nice silver age collection from my LCS. I tried to collect when I went on trips to other cities. I always tried to get the best comics I could find. When I started submitting them to cgc I found out a lot about grading. I have one last big batch to submit, and I will definitely use prescreening. Now, I buy a lot on EBAY, because I live in Indiana ( a comic wasteland). Batman 238 is a very hard one, most of the others come up from time to time, you just have to check ebay and the other major sites often. My belief is that all bronze age comics will eventually turn up in high grade, and low grade bronze will not be worth that much in the future.

Thanks for your interest. I'm going to the chicago comic con for the first time. Looking forward to that. Seeya there if you're going.

well the don rosa only went for a few dollares more than the non ped book.

I just got a greggy special.

Actually, the other auction was for both a 9.4 copy and a 9.0 copy!

A batman 256 in 9.6 woohoo I'm now at about 120 books, and closing in on having a run from 150 - 300

893applaud-thumb.gif

Hi all, I found this forum while trying to find a cover of Detective Comics I remember as a kid. I was born in 1970, so you might know where my nostalgia comes from

Anyway, I finally found the cover of D.C. that always creeped me out as a kid. it's Detective #440.

I remember seeing this cover as part of an ad inside another DC title (heck, it might've been Kamandi!) and thinking that Batman was an adult comic (at that time, I knew Batman best from the color television series, so go figure). In the ad, this cover was reduced greatly in size and had at best maybe 1 or 2 printed colors (you know these ads!).

There was a lady chained to a tree and Batman struggling to break the connection. And behind the Dark Knight was a fast approaching, bear-like silhouette.

Looking back on the image, it's rather 'static'. The lady is not really struggling or frightened. The best part of the composition is the way Batman is craning his neck to determine how much time he has left before he becomes minced. Just great stuff.

It was Detective #440 AND #439 that left a different impression of Batman on my wee developing brain.

Thanks for reading.

Kamandi

979908-Detective_Comics_No440_May_1974_DC.jpg.424d0c09c0058826a3da71074e30d65a.jpg

Kamandi, welcome to the boards. I have also purchased books that I remembered fondly as a kid. I think the ones that drew me back the most were some early issues of Werewolf By Night, I think #13 or #14. And I agree, the way we see these things now is different than the way we remember them as kids. What else do you collect? Are you putting a run of Detective together or did you just want the #440?

979917-440.jpg

979917-440.jpg.c4bd8a7188490707a457aad8add0cf04.jpg

Kamandi, welcome to the boards. I have also purchased books that I remembered fondly as a kid. I think the ones that drew me back the most were some early issues of Werewolf By Night, I think #13 or #14. And I agree, the way we see these things now is different than the way we remember them as kids. What else do you collect? Are you putting a run of Detective together or did you just want the #440?

Thanks for the welcome and posting the cover. I tried a couple of times to post the image, but it didn't show up on the thread...?

I used to collect individual issues of comics and not for their condition - lol.

Anyway, I have complete runs of:

Blackthorne Tracy #1-99

Kitchen Sink Spirit 1-whatever they ended at (87?). I get the DC Archives too.

Mister Miracle (Kirby/Rogers series)

Kamandi (of course)

Avengers 3-very high of the first series.

Kirby's The Demon.

But now I collect exclusively TPBs and graphic novels:

Wash Tubbs & Capt. Easy (complete thanks to the early days of eBay!)

Little Nemo in Slumberland

Chris Ware's Acme Novelty Library

EC Comics hardbound collection

Blade of the Immortal

Wake

Corto Maltese (complete thanks to the early days of eBay!)

any Vaughn Bode

Cities of the Fantastic

Nemesis the Warlock(complete thanks to the early days of eBay!)

ABC Warriors (complete thanks to the early days of eBay!)

Slaine the Beserker (complete thanks to the early days of eBay!)

Stray Bullets

Essential Fantastic Four

Essential Spider-Man

Essential Defenders

The list goes on and on...

I don't collect old issues of comics, but I do hunt for high-quality Internet images for slideshows (screensavers, that is...) and memory's sake.

Again, thanks for the welcome. I've found a wealth of images here so far. The Detective Comics stuff is just awesome. Spooky and those Neal Adams covers are the epitome of Dark Knight coolness.