• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Was My Favorite Forum Section....

39 posts in this topic

exactly what i was thinking..start a topic and stop complaining about my choices.

im ready to listen...

I didn't say anything about you. Why would you assume I was talking about you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What the heck happened in the last month? This went from being the best section on the forum to being the dullest and most repetitive. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, I would certianly like to see less talk about the sales of Action # 1 or Detective # 27 and a lot more talk about comics themselves. We were fortunate to have recently gotten Jon Berk to start posting here with indepth discussions of artists, publishers, specifics on a number of topics,......but IMHO, if you want to just discuss the top 10 comics, who's got the better website, ect........

May I recommend The Comics General Forum?!? makepoint.gif

I, for one, appreciate the Golden Comics Forum for it's lack of trivial pursuits !!!

sign-rantpost.gif

I've made my feelings known about this subject already, but it clearly has not made an impact. If anything, it seems like the number of very narrowly focused posts and new threads has accelerated. confused-smiley-013.gif

I like to apply the "It's better to remain silent and seem like a fool then to speak and remove all doubt." rule in the Gold Forum. I like this section because I learn more here then any place else on the forum.

A very nteresting reply, OG and I confess it took me a bit by surprise. I mean, you are OldGuy! You've contributed some good things here,

So can I ask, what kinds of things have you found most interesting in the GA? Serisouly, if you really are not a GA collector and just have a few with no intention (at least in the forseeable future wink.gif) of buying more, what kind of topics HAVE you found really interesting?

Your reply may generate similar threads!

I am waiting to add more to the historic thread about Wertham because I have a couple of magazines coming from ebay: one an early Wertham anti-comic - as I recall from 1948. And a most interesting Saturday Review in which Wertham's SEDUCITON OF THE INNOCENT is being reviewed! Look forward to posting those articles!

Pov,

While we're waiting for Oldguy's reply, let me say that the information we got recently from JBComicbox (Jon Berk), Robert Beerbohm (sp?) are among the most interesting threads to me. Jon for his insight into the Larson Pedigree (which included a tutorial on recognizing the pedigree markings and if there are no markings). Robert Beerbohm for the Tom Reily (aka San francisco Pedigree) with similar info, and his statement of where the Pedigree ends. Also, the indepth reviews provided by JB Comicbox on the lesser know/appreciated publishers and titles (Centaur's Amazing-Man) have not only been informative, but encouraged me to work to complete a run of Amazing-Man Comics.

I mis these posts and hope we will still have more! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I must admit to being puzzled OG. While I think the past couple weeks have had a number of threads about the bestest, mostest, leastest restored, there have been innumerable good posts in the last month. If you willing to do a wee bit of searching past Action 1 posts, Precode Keith has put up a boatload of pre-code and Scrooge continues to do one of the best threads on the boards -- March 1952. And there have been numerous specialty topics like Pov's one on Wertham articles. Also, Jon Berk's been back after slacking off for a couple weeks and has continuously posted more outstanding copies.

I do like Scrooge's Month in the life of Comics thread, very interesting and covers every single book for that month, a major undertaking,......to say the least!

Yes, that is a fasciating idea. ish I could have really contributed to it. But regardless, to see the output from one month is just great!

Adam,

I think Oldguy was responding to a number of posts which were put up in the last two days which have very little, if no interest, to many who come here to talk/learn about Golden Age books. I'm hoping these posts will find there rightful way to the Comics General forum where they are better suited. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Now pipe down and post some of those sweet atom age DC's you're hiding from us!

sumo.gif

Adam,

I think Oldguy was responding to a number of posts which were put up in the last two days which have very little, if no interest, to many who come here to talk/learn about Golden Age books. I'm hoping these posts will find there rightful way to the Comics General forum where they are better suited. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Now pipe down and post some of those sweet atom age DC's you're hiding from us!

sumo.gif

The original post from oldguy complained about:

What the heck happened in the last month? This went from being the best section on the forum to being the dullest and most repetitive.

I've felt the opposite -- that in fact the threads have picked up in quality in the last month. It was only on April 1 that you and I started the Atom Age thread and got a trend going of giving some space to the books of the 50s in the GA forum. If you were looking for more pedigree info (Larson or Reilly) then I can see the dearth of new info, but otherwise I've been pretty happy. Depends on what you like, I guess, and whether you are willing to look for the interesting threads amidst the threads that hold no interest.

Work's been killing me lately, but I have picked out a small set of books to scan. You're way ahead of me these days with those precious ECs and Catmans.

OG, you mean you don't like the pictures of peckers I posted? To me the parallel that hkp did between the believed-extinct ivory-billed woodpecker and the WDCS iron-billed wood pecker by Barks while obscure references is what I keep on hanging in the GA forum mainly as well as posting covers to help threads along when I can be it Teen books, Fiction House, a few Western, a couple of ECs and so on.

So can I ask, what kinds of things have you found most interesting in the GA? Serisouly, if you really are not a GA collector and just have a few with no intention (at least in the forseeable future wink.gif) of buying more, what kind of topics HAVE you found really interesting?

Your reply may generate similar threads!

I am waiting to add more to the historic thread about Wertham

Perfect example of a great thread. Others would be topics discussed by JBComicbox and Robert Beerbohm. Everything on the Larson Pedigree was fascinating. I also enjoy threads detailing other pedigrees histories. Threads regarding publishers other then Marvel and DC are also great. One comes to mind, I think it was Amazing-Man Comics? Any way, seeing scans and reading about "other" books is very cool.

This next bit surprises me as much as it may surprise you. I like duck covers. There, I've said it. This Silver Age Marvel zombie likes duck covers. I haven't gone as far as to actually buy any (yet), but I love the threads where people post cover scans of their duck books.

I guess I'm just not used to seeing the amount of "pedestrian traffic" that seems to be here lately. It used to be that I could come to the GA forum and click on just about any thread with the expectation that it would be fun to read. Now I just have to be more selective. No big deal. There's still plenty of good stuff here, just mixed with a little more cr@p then I'm used to seeing here.

I'm really glad you enjoy the Wertham thread. I just added two more posts: A 1954 Reader's Digest with scans of the cover and the "condensed version" of SOTI (a six-pager) and what to me is particularly interesting: Saturday Review's REVIEW of SOTI! Only 2/3 of a page but still - I mean - a review of SOTI! That is too cool!

Regards duck covers? I love them as well! Yes, old pre-code and BA Horror Boy loves duck covers. We've even had a few scans of interior pages and I really enjoyed them as well. I think they may serve as an antidote to the horror! wink.gif

If you willing to do a wee bit of searching past Action 1 posts, Precode Keith has put up a boatload of pre-code and Scrooge continues to do one of the best threads on the boards -- March 1952.

Thanks Adam! hi.gif

I was starting to wonder if my thread fell under the general consensus of "too narrow." I try to throw in valuable info with the posts when I can.....

If you willing to do a wee bit of searching past Action 1 posts, Precode Keith has put up a boatload of pre-code and Scrooge continues to do one of the best threads on the boards -- March 1952.

Thanks Adam! hi.gif

I was starting to wonder if my thread fell under the general consensus of "too narrow." I try to throw in valuable info with the posts when I can.....

No way is it too narrow!

I'd contribute more to it when either other threads or work slows down. I figure you're doing just fine without too much help from us.