• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Team Up with Donald Rumsfeld

33 posts in this topic

Looks like they were all watching Tiger make a 20 footer! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rumsfeld has super powers. He is able to make media weenies cower in fear with his quick wit, razor sharp sarcasm, and deadly stare. More importantly he is able to lift the morale of our troops with heartfelt words of praise and thanks from the homefront. Rumsfeld lets our patriotic warriors serving overseas know that the vast majority of the American public appreciates their sacrifices which allow the rest of us to enjoy the freedoms they protect. God bless all those brave men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hope this comic Marvel is making brings them at the very least a brief moment of escapism from the harsh reality of war zone.

The U.S. Department of Defense's American Forces Information Service issued the following press release:

By Kathleen T. Rhem

American Forces Press Service

Message to U.S. troops: Spiderman and Captain America Support You. And the two Marvel Comics superheroes came to the Pentagon today to prove it.

Spiderman, the original webbed wonder, and Captain America, a former 98-pound weakling who a science experiment turned into the perfect soldier, visited the nation's military headquarters to shake hands, pose for photos and unveil a new Marvel comic book that features a military character in the opening scene.

The comic was designed and is being distributed in partnership with DoD's "America Supports You" program, which seeks to showcase ways in which the American public is supporting the men and women of the armed forces, and the Army and Air Force Exchange Service.

"The New Avengers: Guest Starring the Fantastic Four" features the America Supports You program logo and other military-themed artwork on the cover. "Marvel salutes the real heroes, the men and women of the U.S. military," is printed across the bottom of the front of the comic.

Also, a two-page "centerfold" contains a poster of the America Supports You logo surrounded by Marvel superheroes.

"Today we are launching the first of what we hope will be a series of books to provide entertainment to our troops here and abroad," said Rob Steffens, Marvel's senior vice president for operations, in announcing that the company is donating 1 million comic books to the military. The comics will be distributed in military exchanges throughout the world.

"Thankfully we live in a country where generations have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice to protect our liberties and our freedom," he said. "We do not take that for granted."

Steffens also announced that Marvel is donating the original artwork to the Fisher House Foundation to auction off and earn money for the foundation's work in support of sick and wounded military members and their families.

Today's event at the Pentagon was scheduled to coincide with the national "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day," so plenty of youngsters were on hand to get the first copies of the special comics.

"That's really cool. They said that they're trying to help all the people in the military," said 11-year-old Kaitlin Lee, who was visiting the Pentagon with her younger brother and sister and their soldier dad.

Kaitlin explained that it's good for the superheroes to show support for the troops because some kids want to be like their favorite superheroes.

She used her 6-year-old brother, Josh - who was holding tight to his own "Spidey" - as an example. "Like Josh here," she said. "He wants to be like Spiderman and Spiderman wants to help out the troops. So it's just kind of showing that we would like to help out too and we want to show the troops that we care."

Before posing for photos with the superheroes and with several of the young people at the event, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld reminded the crowd this was all about supporting the troops. "We're all very grateful to them for the wonderful job they do. We are in their debt," the secretary said. "We thank their families as well, and those families that are here know that we recognize the sacrifice that all of you make also."

He also thanked Marvel for its support. "We appreciate all you're doing for 'America Supports You,'" Rumsfeld said.

Army Col. Joe Mudd, who works on the Joint Staff, said he believes comics are a good method to get out a message of support for the military.

"Any show of support is important, and people relate to comics," he said. "We like the good guys to win, and we think we're the good guys too." Mudd said the storylines in many popular comics "speak to what we strive for as individuals and as a nation."

The colonel, who was at the event with his 9- and 11-year-old sons, said the popularity of the recent Spiderman movies makes his point perfectly. "They appeal to people of all ages," he said.

Mudd's two boys, Joseph and William, had somewhat less to say about the event than their dad. But their feelings were loud and clear: "Cooooool!"

Rumsfeld has super powers. He is able to make media weenies cower in fear with his quick wit, razor sharp sarcasm, and deadly stare. More importantly he is able to lift the morale of our troops with heartfelt words of praise and thanks from the homefront. Rumsfeld lets our patriotic warriors serving overseas know that the vast majority of the American public appreciates their sacrifices which allow the rest of us to enjoy the freedoms they protect. God bless all those brave men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hope this comic Marvel is making brings them at the very least a brief moment of escapism from the harsh reality of war zone.

Hear Hear, I agree, and I wouldn't mind reading such a book. Military strategy should involve providing every G.I. with a couple of "HEADLIGHT" comics to remind 'em what they're fighting for.

In fact we should drop leaflets and good Bronze age books on the enemy. They look at some Kirby artwork, set down that bomb, defect to our country and try to get their hands on that illusive 10th issue of Devil Dinosaur.... before they figure things out, grin.gif they've become an American and have a healthy feedback rating on EBAY. A win win.

zzz Save the politics for the water cooler.

You're right. That Washington Post article that took a few cheap shots at Rummy shouldn't have been posted here. That is what you were complaining about, right?

DEFINITELY take this to the WC. I'm sure you'll find many like - minded people there to chat to.

You're right. That Washington Post article that took a few cheap shots at Rummy shouldn't have been posted here. That is what you were complaining about, right?

No, political talk in general does not belong here. Take it elsewhere. makepoint.gif

No, political talk in general does not belong here. Take it elsewhere. makepoint.gif

Then you should have replied to the person who started the thread and NOT me. makepoint.gif

Then you should have replied to the person who started the thread and NOT me. makepoint.gif

Ok. To you, him and everybody. I don't want to read about politics on here. There is a reason it is off limits.

That better?

Ok. To you, him and everybody. I don't want to read about politics on here. There is a reason it is off limits.

That better?

No. Once again you post a response to me when I am not the one who created this thread. Seems to me that you were perfectly fine with the thread until I posted something positive about Rumsfeld that really wasn't political unless you view anything positive about Rumsfeld as being political. So either stop being so sensitive about my little thumbsup2.gif to Rumsfeld for helping our troops get some free comics to enjoy or take your complaints up with the creator of the thread and leave me out of it. makepoint.gif

That better?

No. Once again you post a response to me when I am not the one who created this thread. Seems to me that you were perfectly fine with the thread until I posted something positive about Rumsfeld that really wasn't political unless you view anything positive about Rumsfeld as being political. So either stop being so sensitive about my little thumbsup2.gif to Rumsfeld for helping our troops get some free comics to enjoy or take your complaints up with the creator of the thread and leave me out of it. makepoint.gif

The creator of this thread did not put a political spin on it, but YOU did.

He merely posted a link to something that was comic related, and did not comment, except jokingly - he was referring to the silly picture of Rumsfeld posing with the two guys dressed as super-heroes. YOU leapt in with a political comment.

Politics belongs in the Water Cooler. makepoint.gif

If anything needs to be removed from this thread its some moving pictures underneath an off topic icon. I thought my kids could freely read all of my posts.

I like this thread, and saw nothing political in it. There happens to be a thread called U.S. Presidents started by some great guy ( I forget his name ). And it also isn't political, it just shows how political figures are a part of the comic way of life.