• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Catman

49 posts in this topic

For some reason I thought it was Punyhuman who had the Catman books, but I guess it was you rjpb! Nice group of books,......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif gee! I just noticed these issues are missing from my collection,...........if you ever want to get ride of them,..........old friend, old pal,..... hi.gifflowerred.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

devil.gif

Adam re the #31 - I would describe the pages as cream to off-white. To be honest I have a hard time gauging an accurate description for page quality that falls inbetween white and tan - and the few CGC GA books I've picked up don't seem to be entirely consistent with each other either. Especially as some books can run from tan at the edge to bone white in the art area - granted that's an extreme, but not unheard of. I haven't checked it out in a while - but I also found the OWL guide extremely forgiving when I first saw it.

Another Cole top 5 cover. This copy has $17.50 in pencil on the top of the back cover - I can only wish that I paid so little. I know HG collectors probably hate such price markings, but I always thought they were kind of neat - a bit of price history so to speak - plus it's the way I priced all my books for resale as a kid 30 years ago.

Actually, as long as it is neat, in pencil, lightly done, small, and on the back cover (which is often the case), then I don't mind them at all and I like them for the same reasons that you articulated.

For some reason I thought it was Punyhuman who had the Catman books, but I guess it was you rjpb! Nice group of books,......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif gee! I just noticed these issues are missing from my collection,...........if you ever want to get ride of them,..........old friend, old pal,..... hi.gifflowerred.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

devil.gif

Well those three books are the entirety of my Catman collection. I wouldn't mind having copies of 24,29 & 30, but am by no means a completist. The real dilemma would be if I stumbled across an underpriced copy of #13 - keep it or flip it ?- unfortunately I doubt I'll ever face such a quandry.

I love that Catman cover too. It has always reminded me of the Finlay cover to the July 1942 issue of Famous Fantastic Mysteries pulp. I would show you a scan of my copy but my dog ate one eighth of the darn thing one day frustrated.gif so here's a small scan lifted randomly on the web.

801207-FamousFantasticJuly1942s.jpg

End of hi-jack

801207-FamousFantasticJuly1942s.jpg.76aa5a2332ccd241f8a8ab0ee561801a.jpg

Great books. Something about the design of many of these covers (such as the 1, 14, 20, and 22 shown in this thread) - the logo area and style of cover text, etc., has always vaguely reminded me of the cover design of some of the late 60s / early 70s undergrounds that themselves were playfully mimicking the design of classic mainstream comics.

And in a sense they really capture the zeitgeist of golden age cover design even moreso than more familiar DC and Marvel books do.

Adam re the #31 - I would describe the pages as cream to off-white. To be honest I have a hard time gauging an accurate description for page quality that falls inbetween white and tan - and the few CGC GA books I've picked up don't seem to be entirely consistent with each other either. Especially as some books can run from tan at the edge to bone white in the art area - granted that's an extreme, but not unheard of. I haven't checked it out in a while - but I also found the OWL guide extremely forgiving when I first saw it.

Here's a virtual Owl Card for everyone's future reference:

owlcard.jpg

acclaim.gifdevil.gif

Fuelman - Now that I bothered to read the fine print that the colors shown represent the lowest page quality in each range - I guess it's pretty accurate - of course judging a monitor image for color accuracy isn't really the best way to do it. Also - no cream?

Great books. Something about the design of many of these covers (such as the 1, 14, 20, and 22 shown in this thread) - the logo area and style of cover text, etc., has always vaguely reminded me of the cover design of some of the late 60s / early 70s undergrounds that themselves were playfully mimicking the design of classic mainstream comics.

And in a sense they really capture the zeitgeist of golden age cover design even moreso than more familiar DC and Marvel books do.

Never thought about it before but I think you make an excellent point about Quinlan's art in relationship to the undergrounds. There is something a little unsettling in his style which would suit undergrounds but was a reason that I initially didn't care for him. I have since found quite a few covers by him that are quite appealling.

I hear ya. The Owl card was quite a disappointment to me when I opened my copy of the Grading Guide. I was still a newbie at judging page quality, but even I could figure out that the card was useless.

What they really need to do was to provide sample of comics. You know, cut up a few Church, Reilly, and Bethlehem copies so that we'd have little squares of each to compare our books to. 27_laughing.gif

Feel free to use this posting as an excuse to look at your copy. You've got a beauty. thumbsup2.gif