• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reslab vs Resubmit

3 posts in this topic

Can anyone let me know what level of damage (if any) is allowed on a slab before it has to be resubmitted for grading vs simply getting it re-slabbed?

My instinct would say that no amount of damage is acceptable, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks you!

Can anyone let me know what level of damage (if any) is allowed on a slab before it has to be resubmitted for grading vs simply getting it re-slabbed?

My instinct would say that no amount of damage is acceptable, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks you!

To the slab or to the book? Wrt to the slab, I don't think they care about the level of damage so long as the book hasn't been affected (or the damage is such that the slab could have been opened to allow another book to be substituted).

I recently had a book reholdered after the slab had been smashed in the mail. Not just cracked, but damaged with pieces of the slab having fallen out. They didn't regrade the book.

Wrt to the book, I think they would regrade if they felt the book had been damaged (or deteriorated) in the slab. Whether they are careful enough to call up the original grading notes to decide in marginal cases whether flaws were already present when the book was first graded, I don't know, but my guess is that it's more a case of giving the book a once-over.

If it's important, you might consider e-mailing them photos and see if they are willing to respond.