• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Revered artists you just don't get

197 posts in this topic

I know its blasphemy but I never got Kirby. I only started with comics in the late 70's or so so imissed the gold/silver magic he did and was left with the insane bronze dc work. thus tainting my perception of him

I know its blasphemy but I never got Kirby. I only started with comics in the late 70's or so so imissed the gold/silver magic he did and was left with the insane bronze dc work. thus tainting my perception of him

When I was a kid and I didn't know Didly squat about artists or who did what, I can clearly remember being drawn to his work on the new-stands. I was even drawn to stuff like devil dinosaur and machine man (that many probably laugh at) and voted with my very small wallet. His stuff was just so wonderous, dramatic, and exciting in a kids eyes. There were periods I thought some of the stuff became off-putting, but few could capture the wondrous awe and drama that his overall story-telling captured from a child's eyes.

I think a lot of us are a little bit biased by our childhood perspectives. I don't know if we would get the same perspective by looking backwards and trying to view artists for the first time. I will say as an adult, I was able to go back and look at warren and EC stuff and get all the hoopla-- and that's stuff I didn't like much as a kid.

Sam Kieth

5.JPG

Not a overly popular artist, but has quite the following, and a lot of you dunno why

Funny you post this particular image. I've never seen it before, and while the content may not be all that great, the technical component is really excellent IMO.

And I'll add another vote for Jim Lee. Show me a page where anyone isn't scowling or grimacing.

Right on. It's not his best with mixing mediums which is why I posted it. You can actually see his experimentation and his ability to refine himself with his later covers. Quite awe inspiring. This guy has a real gift.

And totally agree with the comment that he isn't for every job. His style is very personalized. He's stated many times that he has turned down projects like Sandman.

By the way, there are certain artist who certainly "got old" and you can either discount their art after that point or not.. but I wouldn't put JRJR in that category. For whatever reason, he decided to completely alter the way he drew... and not for the good.

He started as a solid reflection of his dad's art, and while that might sound like a diss, I mean it as a compliment. You look at his early Amazing Spidey books, and his Iron Man stuff and it was pretty good. And then I don't know when/why he decided to go to the new affected style.

I just want to chime in on Sal Buscema ... as a child of the 70's, I do think he was highly regarded in his day. His early work was fantastic... and as was pointed out, his later stuff (Spectacular Spidey, was decidedly NOT).

But if someone wants to group him with guys like Tuska, Trimpe and Heck ... as kind of the Marvel work horses... I still think there's a reason to admire each of those guys and what they produced.

Sam Kieth

5.JPG

Not a overly popular artist, but has quite the following, and a lot of you dunno why

Funny you post this particular image. I've never seen it before, and while the content may not be all that great, the technical component is really excellent IMO.

And I'll add another vote for Jim Lee. Show me a page where anyone isn't scowling or grimacing.

Right on. It's not his best with mixing mediums which is why I posted it. You can actually see his experimentation and his ability to refine himself with his later covers. Quite awe inspiring. This guy has a real gift.

And totally agree with the comment that he isn't for every job. His style is very personalized. He's stated many times that he has turned down projects like Sandman.

It's from the Maxx series (like #28).

I enjoy it.

But I definitely get why people don't like his art. He has a few pieces that I really don't care for. But overall, thumbs up from me.

Patrick

Frazetta is the exact opposite of rigid.

To elaborate: when I watch his paintings of warriors I can see that he portrays them with every muscle tensed up, even those who should be more relaxed when others are contracting. This creates, in my eyes, characters that are stiff and rigid, without that fluid motion that otherwise should be there.

But each to their own. :)

Wttb. (thumbs u

This is a really interesting and thought provoking perspective. I'd like to go back and compare his stuff to burne Hogarth one of these days. But I think if we were this critical of all artists, then very few comic artists would pass the flex test. :P

Burne Hogarth is revered as a master of figurework and anatomy, but I was quite surprised to see how stiff his comic art looks, such as his Tarzan pages. For me, a bit of a contradiction.

Later Sal Buscema art, especially on Spiderman, JRJR, Linsner.

Was Sal ever "revered", I thought of him as one those journeymen illustrators that reliably cranks it out, but no one ever got excited about.

When Palmer inked his stuff, he was amazing.

salbushulk.jpg

Even without Palmer, his earlier stuff was pretty nice I think.

submariner_26_splash.jpg

I don't know that dude behind Hulk looks pretty goofy. And what is happening with Hulk's feet???? Liefeld could draw better feet than that. Are those feet or individual toes sprouting out of the ankles??

I don't know that dude behind Hulk looks pretty goofy.

I think that's the Hulk's sidekick at the time, Jim Wilson.

Humberto Ramos has a lot of fans out there but I've never been big on most of his art. Very stylized, so I understand not everyone will "get it".