• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Revered artists you just don't get

197 posts in this topic

JSC - as others have said, everything looks the same.

Mignola - never really got into his stuff.

Charlie Adlard - another one where everyone looks the same. I guess it does help me not get attached to any character so, when they inevitably are killed, it doesn't bother me. Not sure if he even qualifies (is he "revered"?)

When I got here I was surprised by how relevant BWS's stuff still appeared to be to so many people.

I assume that the disconnect comes from timing, I got serious about comics around 1987, and worked in a shop from 1989-1994. People knew that he was a name, but the only thing I remember him doing during that time was Weapon X and he wasn't what drew anyone to the storyline.

I loved McFarlane back then, but it hasn't held up for me. I've flipped opinions on a few of the guys from back then, for better and worse.

Who published the Kirby Prisoner book? Looks fun. When I was young I went to John Buscema's house to interview for his comic book workshop and he glowed over Kirby's art and storytelling. It made me re look at the Kings art/story and 40 some years later I can not agree more with the Big Man.

prisoner017ac-797x1024_zps3thmizox.jpg

Nuff said.

THAT is the example you think represents Kirby's body of work?

I was posting half in jest, for a bit of fun. You should try it some time.

The other "half" came through a little stronger than you intended then. (thumbs u

Nuff said! ;)

Three words, guys: Mike Royer inks

Nuff said.

The other "half" came through a little stronger than you intended then. (thumbs u

Nuff said! ;)

....and stinks, from the look of it :o

Sam Keith is tricky...

He said it best himself when he retro actively explained why he left Sandman - the stories overall tone and style didn't fit Keith's own vibe. And I give him huge props for realizing that, perhaps earlier than anyone else did.

I enjoy his work if it is in the right setting, but like many artists, he's not the right man for everything.

Sam Kieth

5.JPG

Not a overly popular artist, but has quite the following, and a lot of you dunno why

Garfield's let himself go....

Nuff said.

Nuff said! ;)

Kirby can be heavily inker-dependent. Royer is no Joe Sinnott.

Sam Keith is tricky...

He said it best himself when he retro actively explained why he left Sandman - the stories overall tone and style didn't fit Keith's own vibe. And I give him huge props for realizing that, perhaps earlier than anyone else did.

I enjoy his work if it is in the right setting, but like many artists, he's not the right man for everything.

I'll go with that. He did one issue of the Hulk, during the Peter David smart gray run, a moody nighttime brawl with Mr Hyde, that I love.

Nuff said.

Nuff said! ;)

Kirby can be heavily inker-dependent. Royer is no Joe Sinnott.

I don't even know why we're still talking about this lol

You can go find some subpar image published by almost anyone if they've actually got some work out there. Let alone someone like Kirby who was ridiculously prolific.

And as many have said, it's obviously an inking hack job, I think OP posted it for that very reason.

Kirby is King, even if some people happen to not dig his stuff... as is their right.

A related question... is it fair to add an artist to this opinionated list with the qualifier of "... after they got old"?

Is there some balancing act involved such that their body of work when they were in their prime is so great that a few sub par years at the end of the road saves them from the indignity, or should we just be able to say "I dislike this spotlighted era of so-and-so's work"?

Sure, add JRJR, but Frank Miller? I'm personally both saddened and even a little sickened by some of his recent work, but considering his body of work, does he belong here with the "... later work" qualifier?

Here's some blasphemy to many but I was not a fan Wally Wood's art for the most part. Even his EC paled to any of the EC artists (In My Opinion). There are a lot worse for me and it like he was unreadable from a visual perspective but there were lots of others that I liked ahead of him that do not seem to get enough respect, like Rudy Palais, Dan Zolnerowich, Maurice Whitman, e.g.