• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm opening up a brick and mortar this year and want some advice!!
7 7

725 posts in this topic

Long Island advice...

Don't do it.

I have yet to walk into a store that makes me say I need to go every week.

I have yet to walk into a store that is within driving range that makes me say it is worth traveling to.

The rent here is expensive.

Can't see it working out. I rarely see a comic store out here that can compete with online sales, eBay, mycomicshop.

Just saying.

I agree 100% on the rent...it's really out of control in some areas...most of the comic shops that are successful on the island have a really good deal on rent from my experiences speaking to them..

As far as shops on the island...I kind of agree with you to an extent...I enjoy going to Comic Book Depot in Bellmore...have known the owner for years and he has a friendly staff...

I want to be that store that you say is missing...I want to be the place that people want to go to every week...I want to compete with the online sales...but I know I need volume to do that...

What would make you want to go to a store every week? If I can get the people to come and I have the stuff they want...then I can be successful...like I said in the earlier post, I'm not looking to retire in 5 years...I'm looking to make a livable wage doing what I enjoy doing, instead of living someone elses dream...

The only way to get customers to come in every week is to stock all the new comics. The ordering of new product is the most time-consuming important work you will do all week long.

If you don't own the building rent, taxes and other costs will eat you alive as you wait to develop a steady clientele. It's brutal.

I once ran 21 stores in 5 states, but I started out like you are - with a dream. The only difference was 38 years and the market just beginning to develop - not declining like it is now.

If you don't have a minimum $150,000 to start this store you will be foolish to even try.

Question regarding new comics....is a store required to buy "X" number of books per month to order direct from Diamond?

Or could the OP offer a subscription service where he could fill subs for customers without having to stock the shelves with new books?

Example:

He has 10 subscription customers. They all order ASM, Batman and WD and that's it. 30 books total per month. Can he order from Diamond to fill that small sub list for his customers? Or is he required to order a minimum of say 200 books a month before they will take him?

Moondog, that last line, that is harsh. We had new store owner Nickelspot say ignore the noise, if you are needing to pursue your dream, you find a way to make it work.

For OP, your goal of eventually making 50 k a year living on the island seems like a tough road to me. When I lived on island I made well more on salary and was drowning in bills. But you have young mans dreams, and part of being young is to charge into stuff and learn your way, and maybe find better ways. If you fail terribly, your youth is your currency, and go try again tomorrow. I hope you post updates. I know youmechoose who opened store last year had some updates until he sounded too exhausted to even chirp.

Someone around here rents a unit in an industrial park for cheap, and only opens weekends. Who was that? With a ton of back issues and a small float, that might be a way to try things out, meet some customers, and get your name out there without the investment of a storefront.

As is probably said in the other threads, a POS system is a must. Automates a lot, lets you know what's selling, and makes the regualr monthly new comics order faster. Being able to put up the $3000 or $5000 or whatever will save you a lot down the line.

That's one of the items I was on the fence about...something I need to do more research on...if any shop owners have experience with a POS system, please let me know how it's working out and if it was worth the investment!

I think in today's market a POS system is much needed. If nothing else it greatly reduces the amount of time you'll spend doing your books.

Shopkeep is popular. No idea if it is the best choice.

http://www.shopkeep.com/pricing

comicsuite is diamonds system. I'd recommend that just for seemless integration.

Question regarding new comics....is a store required to buy "X" number of books per month to order direct from Diamond?

Or could the OP offer a subscription service where he could fill subs for customers without having to stock the shelves with new books?

Example:

He has 10 subscription customers. They all order ASM, Batman and WD and that's it. 30 books total per month. Can he order from Diamond to fill that small sub list for his customers? Or is he required to order a minimum of say 200 books a month before they will take him?

yes , diamond has minimums (retail $ amount that must be ordered)

Diamond has minimums, but one can try to find a friendly competitor to order them for you.

The more he orders the bigger his discounts . He might charge 10-15 percent for doing it, but this way years u have access to Diamond without there minimum orders.

You could also work with another store, allowing them to handle the new comics section of your store. That's a bit more complicated but possible.

As is probably said in the other threads, a POS system is a must. Automates a lot, lets you know what's selling, and makes the regualr monthly new comics order faster. Being able to put up the $3000 or $5000 or whatever will save you a lot down the line.

That's one of the items I was on the fence about...something I need to do more research on...if any shop owners have experience with a POS system, please let me know how it's working out and if it was worth the investment!

I believe Diamond has (or used to have) a program that, if you purchased their point of sale system (comicsuite) you could receive the equivalent cost of the system in free TPB's from various, participating publishers.

Example:

Diamond has minimums, but one can try to find a friendly competitor to order them for you.

The more he orders the bigger his discounts . He might charge 10-15 percent for doing it, but this way years u have access to Diamond without there minimum orders.

You could also work with another store, allowing them to handle the new comics section of your store. That's a bit more complicated but possible.

I think the Diamond minimum monthly $$$ amount is $450 (retail costs).

Honestly, if you can't spend less than $450 a month on new comics/trades, don't sell them.

Today is your birthday? I don't know you, but everybody is entitled to somebody saying Happy Birthday on.....well....their birthday. So, Happy Birthday. :acclaim: Some interesting things happened on this day in history.

Today is your birthday? I don't know you, but everybody is entitled to somebody saying Happy Birthday on.....well....their birthday. So, Happy Birthday. :acclaim: Some interesting things happened on this day in history.

Thank you very much.

Haven't been to an LCS for anything other than supplies since Heroes World at the Nassau Mall on Hempstead Tpk in the late 70s. So can't help with that part of it (except to suggest you carry at least some bags/boards).

But if you have any personal assets you want to protect, and you don't have a tax guy giving you advice, the simplest free advice I have is form an S corp (lower taxes for you assuming you make a profit).

And while keeping control of your costs will be a never ending pursuit, as others have already mentioned your best chance for survival is to have plenty of revenues coming in from multiple sources. But while diversified revenue streams are key, consider whether or not your MTG core concept and new (and back issue) comic books & TPBs becomes diluted or confused as you take on other logical related stuff like toys and licensed merchandise, Trek/B5 sci-fi collectibles, or collectibles like vinyl. Well organized store might let you squeeze in a bit extra without looking cluttered. Not knowing the LCS industry, this is just a general thought about concept dilution. Not a big deal, simply "cool stuff" can be a workable concept.

Definitely list back issues on ebay or send to MCS or something in your downtime.

There is eight comic shops within a half hour drive of my house and all of them are going strong for all I know. Two of them have a small case full of MTG cards but they all have a large back issue collection so the Cleveland area must be a comic book city. Rent in Cleveland is very reasonable so that may help keep all these shops in business since a couple of the shops are kind of rat holes and not the most pleasant shopping experiences. Best of luck in all you do and keep us informed on how things are going so we can live thru your experiences.

I will give a piece of advice that mirrors kind of what some others have said.

I am a writer (on top of my day job) and one of the startling things I found out when I started is that it isn't enough often to have a good manuscript. Publishing Companies look for a presence and a built in audience before they enter into a relationship with an author.

I think that experience can apply here.

If you want to, relatively quickly, actually MAKE money you should build a customer base first.

There are some RELATIVELY easy ways to do that. Start with some online sales. Open an online store somewhere (There are numerous possibilities). Build up some solid subscription customers there first so you know you will have some comic store related income going in.

Travel to conventions and shows and probably lean on ones in the general area where you will be opening your store. Advertise for your future store at these shows and build up an even stronger base of potential customers that way.

Any way you decide to do it I sincerely wish you luck. I know the market has changed drastically in the past generation..but...any business CAN (emphasize the CAN) be successful if you put in the work, have a good plan and get some luck along the way.

Oh, and, have the capital necessary to pull it off (Which you can also build by starting with online sales and conventions somewhat.

Edited by drakesfuture

1) What do you like about your LCS? What qualities does it have that makes it a place you want to go and hang out at each week? Huge selection of back issues- from 70's and earlier, and all the supplies I need:Boxes ,Fullbacks, Mylar. Top end supplies not poly bags and cheap boards. I really want to see a large selection of back issues or I leave immediately.

2) What do you expect to see when you walk in a "good" comic shop...this answer will be different depending on what you collect of course...

What I mean is if you are a silver/bronze/copper/modern collector what keys do I need to have on my walls (I don't have a ton of silver...best books are TTA 59/60 both in cgc 9.4) I expect to see new books in the back issue bins every couple of months. If the prices are sky high and ridiculously priced wall books, that is a waste of time. Keep the prices reasonable and turn over the inventory so I see something different when I return in a month or so.

3) Comic clubs...what discounts are expected for "club members" and how does yourLCS deal with the short printed variant covers? No interest in discount moderns. The only service I would want here is a 9.8 slabbed pre-screen service, or screened raws where I knew i was not getting books with corner dings and bundle damage. I would gladly pay a premium of 25-50% over cover for expertly screened raws, so I don't end up with the usual damaged books in the saver. This is why I gave up on moderns. I would rather have gaps in a run than damaged filler books. Instead of being like everyone else and shooting for the bottom feeders looking for sharp markdowns, maybe distinguish yourself in the market by providing a high end screening service on moderns.

4) For you games...tables and chairs...are the fold up tables/chairs OK, or would it be better to invest in "nicer" stuff...is this something gamers care about?

Not a gamer, good luck here

I believe Diamond has (or used to have) a program that, if you purchased their point of sale system (comicsuite) you could receive the equivalent cost of the system in free TPB's from various, participating publishers.

Here's a link where they mention the subsidy program for the purchase of their POS system

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=123480

Example:

Honestly, if you can't spend less than $450 a month on new comics/trades, don't sell them.

Here's a link where discounts and minimums are mentioned. I have no idea if this information is out-of-date or not. (it looks like the minimum is $425 but may not include retail costs for all items when figuring out that total).

https://retailer.diamondcomics.com/support/retailer_docs/newaccts/diamondtos.pdf

I will give a piece of advice that mirrors kind of what some others have said.

I am a writer (on top of my day job) and one of the startling things I found out when I started is that it isn't enough often to have a good manuscript. Publishing Companies look for a presence and a built in audience before they enter into a relationship with an author.

I think that experience can apply here.

If you want to, relatively quickly, actually MAKE money you should build a customer base first.

There are some RELATIVELY easy ways to do that. Start with some online sales. Open an online store somewhere (There are numerous possibilities). Build up some solid subscription customers there first so you know you will have some comic store related income going in.

Travel to conventions and shows and probably lean on ones in the general area where you will be opening your store. Advertise for your future store at these shows and build up an even stronger base of potential customers that way.

Any way you decide to do it I sincerely wish you luck. I know the market has changed drastically in the past generation..but...any business CAN (emphasize the CAN) be successful if you put in the work, have a good plan and get some luck along the way.

Oh, and, have the capital necessary to pull it off (Which you can also build by starting with online sales and conventions somewhat.

.....+1...............GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

......one thing that just occurred to me....as a restaurant manager, odds are that you're a "people person" and likely have good people skills.... which will help.

There is eight comic shops within a half hour drive of my house and all of them are going strong for all I know. Two of them have a small case full of MTG cards but they all have a large back issue collection so the Cleveland area must be a comic book city. Rent in Cleveland is very reasonable so that may help keep all these shops in business since a couple of the shops are kind of rat holes and not the most pleasant shopping experiences. Best of luck in all you do and keep us informed on how things are going so we can live thru your experiences.

That's amazing. I'm not sure if there are 8 left in Brookyln, population 2.6 million. [just checked, yes, there are 8, I'm not counting a place that sells majic, toys, and has 3 long boxes of comics on the floor... granted, one of them is Joe Koch's Avalanche of Wonder, so that's like 8 comic shops itself, but I'm counting it as 1]

With that said, the places that closed, for the most part, I suspect if they were paying Cleveland rents they would have been doing great. So it's not like they didn't have the business, the rent was just too damn high. Bergen Street comics being an example, I think they did pretty well, but they had a big space in a prime location and only sold new stuff pretty much.

Example:

Assuming Diamond's website is still current, $425 before discounts. Iirc, minimum discount for comics is at least 35% so that's $276.25 net + freight. At $4 per book, that's around 106 books. At $3 per book, that's around 142.