• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Calgary Comic Expo (April 27-30)
2 2

338 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

It's your gift to the world, don't let everyone down.

Agreed, Karl. You do an amazing job with the photos. Your convention reports are by far the best on the boards. (thumbsu

54 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I'm gonna bring a camera and really work at taking pics to relieve Karl of some of the pic responsibility.  

Sounds like a plan. You and Andy can take some, and save Karl for the best ones. (thumbsu

Edited by kimik

Mcfarlane wil be an epic lineup .. he was in town 10 years ago and he was amazingly popular ... with a CGC booth it will be insane no doubt !

wonder how much he will charge ?? Ahhhh I remember the old free days with him !!

Thor

Todd normally won't charge at conventions but there will be a limit.

You can't get your books CGC'd at conventions, only at his annual or semi-annual private signings.

Line up will still be long regardless.

5 hours ago, Dugard said:

Todd McFarlane was jsut annouced today for Calgary Expo. 

I know there was a CGC table last year for just Stan Lee, with Todd will it be the same

This is great news!! :applause: 

On 3/26/2017 at 7:02 PM, aardvark88 said:

Table costs may have tripled since Expo #1 but attendance has more than tripled to offset the increase in 10' x 10' booth cost. Their economy booths 8' x 5' seem to always sell out and be renewed first. As of 14 days ago, Calgary Expo had at least 3 10' x 10' booths left in the media guest area Halls D, E. Don't know if you realize that 2.5 day Wizard World cons have booth cost that averages $1,100 US so I would say Calgary Expo is retailer/vendor friendly as they want the booths to all sell out.

Since Expo#1, held on the top floor of the BMO Centre; hasn't the available space also increased by a factor of 3, in multiple buildings? Meaning more vendors/more competition? Not sure what prices on a corner are (what Tug's always gets), but he has faced increased competition with similar items over the years. That's just the way it is, and he doesn't begrudge the Expo folks for that. With other increased costs associated with travelling to the Expo, he has a better profit/expense ratio at smaller venues like the Red and White Club.

I realize that Wizard World has been around since 1991(as Wizard World, not Chicago Con) and is trading on the stock exchange (WIZD) and attendance of 70,000 in 2009. Calgary Expo started in 2006, with a 2009 attendance of just over 10,000, and are not a traded company as of yet. They couldn't get away with $1,100 US ($1473 CAD) a booth.

At no time did I say/insinuate that the Expo is not retailer/vendor friendly, just that booth costs have tripled since Expo #1 as they have gotten "expo"nentially larger to 2016's 103,500 attendees and over 700 participants.

I shall come introduce myself this year, instead of standing in autograph lines all day. Gotta get back to visiting up and coming artists, buying their art, delving into long boxes of missing issues and perusing the retail booths.

8 hours ago, Itosukai said:

Since Expo#1, held on the top floor of the BMO Centre; hasn't the available space also increased by a factor of 3, in multiple buildings? Meaning more vendors/more competition? Not sure what prices on a corner are (what Tug's always gets), but he has faced increased competition with similar items over the years. That's just the way it is, and he doesn't begrudge the Expo folks for that. With other increased costs associated with travelling to the Expo, he has a better profit/expense ratio at smaller venues like the Red and White Club.

I realize that Wizard World has been around since 1991(as Wizard World, not Chicago Con) and is trading on the stock exchange (WIZD) and attendance of 70,000 in 2009. Calgary Expo started in 2006, with a 2009 attendance of just over 10,000, and are not a traded company as of yet. They couldn't get away with $1,100 US ($1473 CAD) a booth.

At no time did I say/insinuate that the Expo is not retailer/vendor friendly, just that booth costs have tripled since Expo #1 as they have gotten "expo"nentially larger to 2016's 103,500 attendees and over 700 participants.

I shall come introduce myself this year, instead of standing in autograph lines all day. Gotta get back to visiting up and coming artists, buying their art, delving into long boxes of missing issues and perusing the retail booths.

...and saying hi to Andy @ Forest City Coins. :preach: 

Anyone recall when the last time Todd McFarlane was signing at either Calgary or Edmonton Expos? I expect a Todd frenzy :whatthe: at Calgary Expo. Don't think Todd has even been to a Vancouver comic-con in over 25 years even though he and his wife lived in the suburbs for over 4 years.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.