• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What books go in the bank safe deposit box? You decide!

73 posts in this topic

Actually I read it elsewhere that the contents of safe deposit boxes are not insured by the FDIC:

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/covered/notinsured.html

Yeah, but they're in the bank safe deposit box. When have you heard of anyone's comics getting stolen from a bank deposit box? Unless by some act of god and the building is destroyed/burns down you are probably ok. hm

Actually I read it elsewhere that the contents of safe deposit boxes are not insured by the FDIC:

Yeah, but they're in the bank safe deposit box. When have you heard of anyone's comics getting stolen from a bank deposit box? Unless by some act of god and the building is destroyed/burns down you are probably ok. hm

items in Bank Safe Deposit are not insured.

The safe deposit box I have is climate controlled

Believe it or not, theft from Bank Safe Deposit boxes do occur. I'll try to link the latest theft that happen in California

Interesting. You have the plot of a Fast and Furious film there. Vin Diesel's presence would be mandatory.

Hopefully they wouldn't repeat this approach, otherwise the slabbed pamphlets might experience a little shock damage....

Fast-and-Furious-GIFS-8.gif

Believe it or not, theft from Bank Safe Deposit boxes do occur. I'll try to link the latest theft that happen in California

As Oakman said, they can probably be insured cheaper. Nothing there would be hard to replace.

As Oakman said, they can probably be insured cheaper. Nothing there would be hard to replace.

Yes, a Collectibles Insurance policy giving blanket coverage for 20K would be cheaper. They would be insured at home or in the Bank Vault, 20K at each location.

I also concur that all of this is easily replaced. I would only put items into the Bank Vault that are either 1) Really expensive or 2) Unique, cannot be replaced.

Ok, I'm sure its happened but the likelihood of it happening is probably the same as getting struck by lightning twice in the same place. The safe deposit box is your insurance is my point.

Just insure the Daredevils and ASM ( :jokealert: )

Yup .... just get a glass cabinet to put them in and insure ...Would drive me nuts if I couldn't look at my slabs every once in a while ..

Edited by Paddy_McShillihan

... (Look I know the books aren't much :sorry: but I'm practicing for when I get big books!) . . .

Sweet list, I remember your first thread about the horse-sized inheritance. Sounds like this could be just the beginning if those aren't "big". Several hundred for a comic is a pretty good start though I get that several thousand could also be "small," in context.

Did you submit any of these yourself or buy them all slabbed ? You should post some pics !!

You're not playing along, Grebal! :makepoint:

I bought everything slabbed except:

Killing Joke

Inhumans

Moon Knight

Daredevil 158

Peter Parker

I sent the above books in after honing my grading skills in the PGM forum. I did very well if I don't say so myself after my disaster in sending first batch in to CGC.

Edited by NoMan

The money spent on the SDB could be better spent on upgrading your collection. Or invest it and let it grow. Collectibles insurance is fine but unless you are very afraid of something happening, seems like overkill and money that could be spent on tangible items.

If you are dead set on doing the SDB - good luck to you. At least it is a decision that can be changed if you find out later that you change your mind.

... (Look I know the books aren't much :sorry: but I'm practicing for when I get big books!) . . .

Sweet list, I remember your first thread about the horse-sized inheritance. Sounds like this could be just the beginning if those aren't "big". Several hundred for a comic is a pretty good start though I get that several thousand could also be "small," in context.

Did you submit any of these yourself or buy them all slabbed ? You should post some pics !!

Killing Joke

Inhumans

Moon Knight

Daredevil 158

Peter Parker

I sent the above books in after honing my grading skills in the PGM forum. I did very well if I don't say so myself after my disaster in sending first batch in to CGC.

you paid to have an Inhumans #1 and PPSS #1 9.0 slabbed? (thumbs u i'd keep those two at home.

Edited by paperheart

The money spent on the SDB could be better spent on upgrading your collection. Or invest it and let it grow. Collectibles insurance is fine but unless you are very afraid of something happening, seems like overkill and money that could be spent on tangible items.

If you are dead set on doing the SDB - good luck to you. At least it is a decision that can be changed if you find out later that you change your mind.

I don't think anybody EXPECTS something to happen. Insurance is part of life.

You do not seem to take into account just placing them one over each other will end up cracking multiple CGC cases with the pressure (I know I have done this myself in the past). I only do so now if the comic has a CGC Pro slab to protect each book. That will cut the amount of books yo ucan place in one single safe but at least your CGC cases will not be damaged.

In another thread a poster recommended storing CGC slabs on their side (spine side down). I don't know if this will work with your SDB, but it should prevent any problem with cases cracking.

You do not seem to take into account just placing them one over each other will end up cracking multiple CGC cases with the pressure (I know I have done this myself in the past). I only do so now if the comic has a CGC Pro slab to protect each book. That will cut the amount of books yo ucan place in one single safe but at least your CGC cases will not be damaged.

In another thread a poster recommended storing CGC slabs on their side (spine side down). I don't know if this will work with your SDB, but it should prevent any problem with cases cracking.

Thanks. I don't think 10 is too many to stack. I'll sort it out next time I'm at the bank.

I will never understand the need to slab a book you intend on keeping long term in your collection. At that point it becomes a thing, not a comic.

I basically agree with you here but on certain books I like it in a CGC holder. If it's an expensive book I think it is more valuable in a CGC slab. It's also easier for your heirs in case something happens. The slab also protects your books from damage = easier to hand it to someone for viewing without worry.

I will never understand the need to slab a book you intend on keeping long term in your collection. At that point it becomes a thing, not a comic.

I basically agree with you here but on certain books I like it in a CGC holder. If it's an expensive book I think it is more valuable in a CGC slab. It's also easier for your heirs in case something happens. The slab also protects your books from damage = easier to hand it to someone for viewing without worry.

In those cases, it makes sense, especially if you are prepping your collection for others to liquidate later on. I don't have any books that are ultra expensive (over a thousand in value)-- many books worth hundreds perhaps currently.

Also- I can't remember the last time anyone looked through my collection other than myself. I live alone though-- so I am not the norm clearly.

Killing Joke

Inhumans

Moon Knight

Daredevil 158

Peter Parker

D'oh ! Forgot my list of which to put away.

Dark Knight Returns #1 9.8

Inhumans #1 9.0

Moon Knight #1 9.6

Defenders #1 6.5

Peter Parker The Spectacular Spiderman #1 9.0

Then you have 5 spaces left. But don't mind me, I tend to use misdirection as my key security feature. Of course you'll insure anyway, duh.

Killing Joke

Inhumans

Moon Knight

Daredevil 158

Peter Parker

D'oh ! Forgot my list of which to put away.

Dark Knight Returns #1 9.8

Inhumans #1 9.0

Moon Knight #1 9.6

Defenders #1 6.5

Peter Parker The Spectacular Spiderman #1 9.0

Then you have 5 spaces left. But don't mind me, I tend to use misdirection as my key security feature. Of course you'll insure anyway, duh.

Nice,Grebal! Throw off Bank Safe Deposit Box thieves by putting lower grade copies in box. They'll shrug and move on to next box! I like your thinking.

In those cases, it makes sense, especially if you are prepping your collection for others to liquidate later on. I don't have any books that are ultra expensive (over a thousand in value)-- many books worth hundreds perhaps currently.

Also- I can't remember the last time anyone looked through my collection other than myself. I live alone though-- so I am not the norm clearly.

Practically nobody has seen my books except the random family member or friend nearby when a comic was going into/out of my collection. For around forty years I collected before joining the board last May, and in just those past months I've shared more of my collection here than combined all 40 prior years. It's whole different head, not that I was private on purpose or anything, just didn't have other friends who collected.

I'm doing what bomber-bob suggested - putting a dozen or two books to submit to CGC for me or my estate to have more convenient/better price sale (last batch I did was 2001 and I still have all I didn't give as gifts).

What is your bank charging you per year for this box?

Seems like it would be a waste if you could get a collectibles insurance policy for less, and probably cover more books.

$380 a year. Box also holds important documents, photos and family objects that having them lost/stolen, but insured, is meaningless.

That sounds like an awful lot of money for a large safety deposit box. Unless, only a small portion of the box is being used to hold your 10 slabbed books.

A box costing that amount of money should be able to hold at least 100 books encased in mylar. And we would be talking about the much thicker GA books.