• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOUGHTS ON CLUTTERING THE FRONT COVER OF A COMIC MAG. W/ A BUNCH OF AUTOGRAPHS?

27 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should clutter a comic book magazine with a bunch of autographs?

You used the word "clutter" which generally has negative connotations. So, I'd say based on that, don't do it.

Unless of course you like clutter and it's positive, then clutter away.

If you are asking personal opinions on autographs: I don't care for them. I have one SS book and that's enough.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should clutter a comic book magazine with a bunch of autographs?

You used the word "clutter" which generally has negative connotations. So, I'd say based on that, don't do it.

If you are asking personal opinions on autographs: I don't care for them. I have one SS book and that's enough.

is it a Stan Lee?

is it a Stan Lee?

Frank Miller/ Klaus Janson

is it a Stan Lee?

DD 158?

It's The Independent Comic Book Sampler Number 2, and you're right, I should have chosen a better word than clutter. The IDEA, is to have everyone who is listed on the cover of this INDIE magazine to autograph it and so far I have Kevin Eastman and Ben Edlund...

nyfr0l.jpg

2ezilhx.jpg

Don't have anyone deface your comic future collectors will just downgrade it as 'writing on cover-not NM'.

is it a Stan Lee?

DD 158?

No

It's The Independent Comic Book Sampler Number 2, and you're right, I should have chosen a better word than clutter. The IDEA, is to have everyone who is listed on the cover of this INDIE magazine to autograph it and so far I have Kevin Eastman and Ben Edlund...

Go for it , You may want to start trying to have the creator's sign a little smaller though as they may not all fit

It all boils down to value right? Do you ask this question because you are thinking of a resale value? If it's not, and you have no intention of trying to sell it, then load it up. If you want to sell it, I think your market shrinks a little bit, because there are people who just don't care or want to pay extra dollars on a signed book (myself included).

Edited by Mercury Man

There's an Amaz. Spiderman 700 variant front cover that features a long list of names of Spidey creators in the shape of the silhouette of the NYC skyline that momentarily had me consider some insane, um, I mean monumental, project like the one mentioned in the OP.

Here, found one:

LgagQyW.jpg

Edited by grebal

Don't have anyone deface your comic future collectors will just downgrade it as 'writing on cover-not NM'.

lol

Yeah...beginning to reconsider this project. I think I might add a few more pertinent autographs onto this rag...IF...and that's a big IF, I am so lucky. Thanks everyone for your input! Can you guess which autographs I will be going after and why?

Yeah...beginning to reconsider this project. I think I might add a few more pertinent autographs onto this rag...IF...and that's a big IF, I am so lucky. Thanks everyone for your input! Can you guess which autographs I will be going after and why?

Laird and Chadwick ?

Laird and Chadwick ?

^^

No matter what it's already a great book Vic!

Laird and Chadwick ?

^^

No matter what it's already a great book Vic!

Yuppers! It's on my list for too acquisitions for 2016 and 2017...and if I can get Laird and Chadwick I will be stoked! Who else on that list was New when this book came out?

For myself, I generally agree with Kav. But it's your collection, collect in the way you enjoy, of course.

But if you want the thoughts of other collectors, here's why I agree with Kav. 1) autographs to me are a memento of a personal encounter. (standing in line to hand Someone a check does not count for me.) 2) It is writing on the comic. It's damage. I don't want it.

My exceptions: the true personal encounter, with a book that's not worth much anyway, and plentiful (Herb Trimpe and Dan Green on my Godzillas) 2) I have a few that were parts of large collections that I bought that are on otherwise worthless comics and are kind of cool, but I do not consider them part of my collection proper, so much as conversation pieces. Examples: I bought an estate collection, and the guy clearly liked autographs. Stuff with COA got sold at auction, to people who enjoy them, to fund stuff I wanted in my collection. Stuff I kept is cool, unprovable (without spending $$), and on books no one cares about: all 3 Kuberts on some modern X-Men book they all worked on; Walt Simonson and Tony Isabella on some Topps comic, all 5 members of Aerosmith on that Shadowman they were in.

But that's me. Some people will pay more for autographs. I'm in the group that will look for a copy without it.