• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Collection Discovered!

88 posts in this topic

You are going to run into a lot of skeptics on these boards. Mainly due to the number of scams that occur in this hobby. So many that everyone is wary of a new person coming on board with a claim to a collection. Of course, there are those who talk out a certain body part that shall not be named here. Ignore them.

Good luck with the collection and I hope that it turns out good.

Some of us in this world do operate with a high level of integrity, despite the world telling everyone to look out for #1. I could never take advantage of someone for my own gain. I deal with peoples futures and money everyday and having a high level of integrity and honesty is paramount. I am happy to pay what a book is worth if it is nice enough. And I rarely buy slabbed books unless there is no other way or the history of the book is in question. Maybe If more people in this hobbie (dealers included) acted with more integrity there would not be so much suspicion and ill feelings towards the collectibles market. On the other hand if a buyer with full knowledge is willing to pay top dollar for a book then so be it(myself included). I have watched the boards here without posting for a long time and there are a whole lot of nice people that are hnoestly trying to help others learn the hobbie and get involved and there are those who are only looking out for their interests over everything else. I guess in this world we live in, what can we expect. I am sure joe_investor you have seen too many people taken advantage of and thus your statement is true to you. I try to think the best of people until they screw up and then I try to give them grace. Just my two cents

x101 - In all honesty, I had no idea where joe_investor's post was coming from since you've already eluceded (sp?) for us that you know that person as she is from your family so his post was either written before finishing the thread or completely inane.

In any event, I am glad you'll be telling us either way about the books. When are you flying out?

I recently discovered a very small golden age collection. The other books this woman had she threw in the trash 10-15 years ago about 40-50 supermans #11-60. She saved the Superman #1-10 very securly. I am in the process of receiving these books. The woman is 80 years old and bought them off the rack. She never let anyone handle them. She triple wrapped them in plastic and packed them away. I am going to help her sell them and put the money in trust for her grandkids. If you see a new highest census Supes #1, then you heard it here first. She says they are in excellent condition and I will be flying out to pick them up in a month or so. Wish me luck everyone, as I am hoping to be able to buy the #2 from her for fair market value if I can.

Just sounds fishy to me. Nobody wrapped anything in plastic back then - if it had been brown paper the story would be more believable in my opinion. Would be cool though.. good luck.

good point. I wrapped my best books in Saran wrap in the 70s. So I figure thats the earliest she would have too since Pre-Overstreet, why bother?

I recently discovered a very small golden age collection. The other books this woman had she threw in the trash 10-15 years ago about 40-50 supermans #11-60. She saved the Superman #1-10 very securly. I am in the process of receiving these books. The woman is 80 years old and bought them off the rack. She never let anyone handle them. She triple wrapped them in plastic and packed them away. I am going to help her sell them and put the money in trust for her grandkids. If you see a new highest census Supes #1, then you heard it here first. She says they are in excellent condition and I will be flying out to pick them up in a month or so. Wish me luck everyone, as I am hoping to be able to buy the #2 from her for fair market value if I can.

Just sounds fishy to me. Nobody wrapped anything in plastic back then - if it had been brown paper the story would be more believable in my opinion. Would be cool though.. good luck.

good point. I wrapped my best books in Saran wrap in the 70s. So I figure thats the earliest she would have too since Pre-Overstreet, why bother?

NO! You obviously haven't been listening. This precocious teenage girl bought pristine copies of Superman 1-10 and then immediately had them hermetically sealed and then spent the next sixty years of her life guarding and defending them from one and all. makepoint.gif

NO! You obviously haven't been listening. This precocious teenage girl bought pristine copies of Superman 1-10 and then immediately had them hermetically sealed and then spent the next sixty years of her life guarding and defending them from one and all. makepoint.gif

Sort of like Golum and his precious ring?! confused-smiley-013.gif

Sort of like Golum and his precious ring?! confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, just like I posted above:

But she didn't hug them, no, that would crush them, wouldn't it my precious... Nasty creases! I HATES a non-anaerobic environment, my precious...

Sorry, but someone needs to keep this thread alive.

Now, if only someone would bump the thread where the guy thought he had a Suspense 3 in a bulk lot... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Those Detroit Trolley books sure are fresh looking!

Beautiful.

MarvelMystery5.jpg

Probably one of the brightest early Marvel Mystery's I have ever seen, gorgeous.

i'm sure this has been discussed before, but damned if i can find it;

what's the deal with that "L" on the cover. i've seen this many times and even have a Human Torch #3 with it. the style is quite distinctive. (i used to think it had something to do with the Lamont Larson collection blush.gif). anyone??

It could mean that. It could also be what the newstand or distributor wrote on the cover. That's all I've got for you.

i suspect that it's either the latter or a GA collector (not Larson) who "signed" their books. i know i've seen it many times both here and on internet auctions and am just curious as to what the history is............... confused.gif