• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Link Question

50 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I get what you’re saying. If you put in a $2k bid as the first bidder, then maybe a week before the auction ends the bidding is at $900 which might discourage a latecomer to put in a $1000 bid just to track. That $1000 might just be enough to make him a winner of a piece he doesn’t really want. So why risk it? But on the other hand, putting a $2k (or whatever is a really high bid for the piece) also sets you up for unwanted punishment or price discovery bids which you don’t want either. 

In my view, if you win something at auction it’s because your competitor didn’t show up or because you overpaid. 

heh, my cynical interpretation of your statement is that what you win at auction could be under market value (competitor didn't show up) or over (you overpaid).

Well.. yes, whenever you buy something, you definitely could have under paid, over paid or something in between.  I 100% agree since there is no other option left :P

Malvin

31 minutes ago, malvin said:

heh, my cynical interpretation of your statement is that what you win at auction could be under market value (competitor didn't show up) or over (you overpaid).

Well.. yes, whenever you buy something, you definitely could have under paid, over paid or something in between.  I 100% agree since there is no other option left :P

Malvin

Heh heh yeah true. 

I guess the “something in between” is FMV which seems nonexistent today and could stand for “fluctuating market value.”

😴

10 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I get what you’re saying. If you put in a $2k bid as the first bidder, then maybe a week before the auction ends the bidding is at $900 which might discourage a latecomer to put in a $1000 bid just to track. That $1000 might just be enough to make him a winner of a piece he doesn’t really want. So why risk it? But on the other hand, putting a $2k (or whatever is a really high bid for the piece) also sets you up for unwanted punishment or price discovery bids which you don’t want either. 

In my view, if you win something at auction it’s because your competitor didn’t show up or because you overpaid. 

Close. Just put in the $900 bid on a piece with FMV 1000. That would make a casually interest person think twice about being forced to bid at $925 just to track.

19 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

Speaking of Comic Link, they have an auction ending tonight which based on my tracking bids has a large number of under-market pieces -- as well as a few surprises to the high side.  :popcorn:

Geez, I am getting old. I owned at least 4 pieces in this auction and I only skimmed it!

On 7/7/2019 at 4:42 PM, vodou said:

CLink auctions are notorious for having 'dead' action at close. Not all of them of course, but to those that haven't experienced it, it's common, surreal. The action is nearly the complete opposite of what you'd expect if you're mostly an eBay sniper. I have stories, but instead...just watch many lots instead of bidding, you'll see this happen on lots where it shouldn't. The competitors don't show up or are otherwise engaged (on other lots). Weird and (imo) ultimately to the disservice of the consignors.

Ya I have seen that compared to ebay. With Sunday HA auctions they do their "live" bids, live being online. Those do better since people dont have to type in a bid they can just click bid the next highest increment. Makes it easier to big and do thrill bids just just that one more.

2 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

Speaking of Comic Link, they have an auction ending tonight which based on my tracking bids has a large number of under-market pieces -- as well as a few surprises to the high side.  :popcorn:

My consignments have ended. I was very pleased that the walking dead page hit 1k a few days ago, especially when I wasn't able to sell it on CAF for 500 a few months ago. The Perez avengers and McFarlane cover stat was slow but went to the prices I was expecting near the end so overall I am pleased. 

Of course the stuff I wanted to buy spiked up near the end so I didn't win.. 

Malvin 

10 hours ago, malvin said:

My consignments have ended. I was very pleased that the walking dead page hit 1k a few days ago, especially when I wasn't able to sell it on CAF for 500 a few months ago. The Perez avengers and McFarlane cover stat was slow but went to the prices I was expecting near the end so overall I am pleased. 

Malvin 

One hell of a lucky coincidence of WD ending last week, and your WD Tony Moore page ending this week... congrats! 

11 hours ago, malvin said:

Malvin 

Yeah when I saw your TWD page at $1k I thought “Wasn’t that for sale for just a few hundred bucks for a while with no movement?” With the end of TWD just days ago the timing of the auction couldn’t have been better. Congrats. 

3 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

One hell of a lucky coincidence of WD ending last week, and your WD Tony Moore page ending this week... congrats! 

3 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Yeah when I saw your TWD page at $1k I thought “Wasn’t that for sale for just a few hundred bucks for a while with no movement?” With the end of TWD just days ago the timing of the auction couldn’t have been better. Congrats. 

Yeah, I did notice an uptick when the ending was announced.  You would think the impact would be opposite (series ending resulting in less interest) but I guess it also brought more attention to the topic of walking dead and I lucked out.

Malvin