• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things you like about the new boards
1 1

84 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

If you still have the photo, you should be able to reload it and adjust the picture.

I like this quote thingy, it will get some getting used to, but it's a heck of a lot better than having to undo some of the nesting. I wonder if you can quote from a few replies at once ?

I can't seem to do that now because there is only one other post on this page, but I'll have to try it on another page.

10 hours ago, Architecht said:

Oooh! Did anyone notice that you can highlight the text in someone's post (any part of it) hover over the highlight and click "quote this" to quote JUST that part in a reply? That's nice.

@Architecht  @skypinkblu  I just tested this out using Sharon's suggestion and you can quote multiple board members using this method.  You pull the quotes from different members and it will add them to one single post.  Great feature! :applause:

@Doc McCoy Thanks, Josh:) 

I think once we get used to this, it will help with a lot of the confusing, and stop some of the "you talking to me!" misunderstandings. It seems like an extra step now, because I'm not used to it, but it's actually a lot more efficient. Lots of times if I wanted to reply to someone, I'd have to go to the beginning of another page to hit the reply under their name.

22 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I like this quote thingy, it will get some getting used to, but it's a heck of a lot better than having to undo some of the nesting. I wonder if you can quote from a few replies at once ?

I can't seem to do that now because there is only one other post on this page, but I'll have to try it on another page.

15 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:
10 hours ago, Architecht said:

Oooh! Did anyone notice that you can highlight the text in someone's post (any part of it) hover over the highlight and click "quote this" to quote JUST that part in a reply? That's nice.

@Architecht  @skypinkblu  I just tested this out using Sharon's suggestion and you can quote multiple board members using this method.  You pull the quotes from different members and it will add them to one single post.  Great feature! 

OK, I just did the highlight "Quote This" thing and it's terrific.

My question is this: the Quote feature seems to save everything you've quoted - even duplicate quotes, so is there a way to clear the quote screen without backing all the way out of the thread and coming back in?

@VintageComics @skypinkbluOK, I think these functions are cool.  Many times I didn't know who the comments were meant for, this'll make it easier.  The multi-quote function and many other features will need some getting used to.  I think that after a few more days of belly aching, most people will just fall into silent compliance.  We're beasts of habit, so new stuff sometimes bothers us, but we'll get used to it.  Personally I embrace change and take these things with curiosity rather than negativity.  The page rendering is also much faster.   I'm sure there will be tweaks in the coming days, but I think overall the new boards are neato.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

How do you create folders in PMs? That would be wonderful. 

Day 2, I'm finding I'm less confused, I do love the drag and drop. It must not be just image size that is an issue, since I've had smaller ones rejected and larger pics accepted. 

I still think it will take a week or so to learn all the buttons, but I like some of the new toys. I'm a little confused about watching threads, and I miss my blinking envelope a little.

Click on the envelope in the top right of the page, select the "Go to inbox" link at the bottom. When you're in your Inbox, hit the drop down arrow and select the Add Folder button. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, JazzMan said:

@VintageComics @skypinkbluOK, I think these functions are cool.  Many times I didn't know who the comments were meant for, this'll make it easier.  The multi-quote function and many other features will need some getting used to.  I think that after a few more days of belly aching, most people will just fall into silent compliance.  We're beasts of habit, so new stuff sometimes bothers us, but we'll get used to it.  Personally I embrace change and take these things with curiosity rather than negativity.  The page rendering is also much faster.   I'm sure there will be tweaks in the coming days, but I think overall the new boards are neato.

Yep. It was the same way in 2007 when the boards updated. People were upset, complaining and threatening not to come back. Eventually people got used to it and the last version was 'awesome'. Same thing here. This will become the new normal in a few weeks as people get used to them AND as Arch makes new tweaks.

What I think is cool, and probably already mentioned, if a new reply comes to the page your on it will inform you. This way you don't have to back out to see that someone posted again. I don't think that the old boards did this...

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What I think is cool, and probably already mentioned, if a new reply comes to the page your on it will inform you. This way you don't have to back out to see that someone posted again. I don't think that the old boards did this...

That will be fun during really good sales threads...

Overall I'm okay with this board. It will definitely take some getting used to. I just wish some of the functionality would hurry up and start working again. Otherwise, this looks fine.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Jayman said:

Can someone point out how you reply to a members post as opposed to reply to the topic? I'm missing it somewhere I guess. So it would say @Jayman as example...

Thanks!

@Jayman the main way to do it is just to hit the quote button, OR to highlight some part of the text with your mouse, hover over it and hit the "quote this" hover menu item.

You can add an a mention (like I did in this post for you) to help prompt them with a notification, but they will generally get notified anyone simply because you quoted them. - Although they may have adjusted their notification settings to turn off the notification.

19 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I think you post too much too. :P

With all the time you need to spend attending to your luscious mane and second career as a rock star I have no idea how you managed 85,000 plus posts.

55 minutes ago, Architecht said:

@Jayman the main way to do it is just to hit the quote button, OR to highlight some part of the text with your mouse, hover over it and hit the "quote this" hover menu item.

You can add an a mention (like I did in this post for you) to help prompt them with a notification, but they will generally get notified anyone simply because you quoted them. - Although they may have adjusted their notification settings to turn off the notification.

(thumbsu

58 minutes ago, the blob said:

With all the time you

59 minutes ago, the blob said:

spend attending to your luscious man

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Ok, the new quote function is going to be fun. :D