• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would you rank these Batman Keys?

20 posts in this topic

Still deciding on my first Golden Age Batman book to buy and have it narrowed down to these three:

- Batman 4 - 1st Gotham

- Batman 16 - 1st Alfred

- Batman 47 - 1st Detailed Origin

How would you rank them in terms of significance and importance?

34 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Still deciding on my first Golden Age Batman book to buy and have it narrowed down to these three:

- Batman 4 - 1st Gotham

- Batman 16 - 1st Alfred

Strictly in terms of historical presentation, Batman-lore wise, same as you. 4-16-47  2c

IMHO I believe 16-47-maybe swap the #4 for a Batman #5 the 1st appearance of the Batmobile as more significant than Gotham.   Batman #16 is a must have 1st appearance of Alfred Pennyworth, a pivotal character, for any golden age collection and a bit harder to find a copy than the other issues. 

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

An early Tec would be nice - but I think out of my price range. 

To be honest, I love the Joker as a character and a Tec 168 would be ideal (but again quite pricey), but I don't get the crazy prices paid for an early Joker Cover (and or the boom for the Silver Age Batman 251 Joker cover) - I want the book to have significance, not just the cover (but that is a personal thing I guess and I am obviously in the minority).  That is not to say I don't love those covers, but I just don't think the price premium is worth it.

I love the Batman 4 and 16 cover - but really don't care for the 47 cover, although I love that it is the first detailed origin (i.e., the one every kid learns and knows).  Just a tough call to choose between these three IMO.

batmans origin is the most significant/well known story in comic history and the cover is great, if you do pick it up, once in hand you will change your tune.  bright yellow, no robin, a young bruce... again :cloud9:

I'm partial to #4. Early early Joker story: 4th comic book appearance ever (though 5th appearance overall, having appeared in 2 stories in #1); he was still at his most ruthless back in 1941 (not to mention Bats himself!)...  And you get Finger, Robinson, Kane, Roussos, and the legendary rocker Lou Reed (aka Bob Kane, too embarrassed to put his real name to the 2-pg Ginger Snap story).

#16 for me - it's really next on my list of 'Batman Keys'

Who hasn't heard of Alfred?

#4 comes in a solid second on your list, but as others have said, Tec #38,58,66 and 140 would be ones I'd really save up for if I was starting from scratch

2c

11 hours ago, Beige said:

#16 for me - it's really next on my list of 'Batman Keys'

Who hasn't heard of Alfred?

#4 comes in a solid second on your list, but as others have said, Tec #38,58,66 and 140 would be ones I'd really save up for if I was starting from scratch

2c

I am leaning Bats 16 as well

Would love a Tec 38 or a 66  but out of my price bracket :wink:  I will need to get a low grade or restored Bats 16 as it is.

No. 47 is close to being a minor key because of the origin story, but I probably wouldn't refer to any of those issues as a key. All three books are easy to find. I'd be most likely to buy a no. 4 because I like the cover the best of the three, but it isn't an important issue.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:48 AM, Chillax23 said:

- Batman 4 - 1st Gotham

- Batman 16 - 1st Alfred

Batman 4 - 1st Gotham ^^