• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting conversation with paypal
2 2

21 posts in this topic

A buyer opened a case on paypal saying the item hasn't arrived. This was on Feb 1st.

It was late, but tracking says it was delivered on Feb 7th. I contacted the buyer to ask him to close the paypal case, but as for today, he hasn't answered.

So , today I called Paypal asking to release the funds, but they say that a tracking number showing as Delivered, along with the city and the postal code, is not enough.

They ask me for an invoice of the post office showing the FULL delivering address.

Now, I always thought that if the tracking system show Item Delivered, a city and a postal code, it should be all the info needed.

Am I wrong? This is a copy/paste from the paypal site:

9.4 Proof of Shipment, Proof of Delivery, and Signature Confirmation Requirements:

"Proof of Shipment" is online or physical documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

• The date the item is shipped.
  • The recipient's address, showing at least the city/state or postal code (or international equivalent).

When they say that the proof of shipping has to include AT LEAST the city/postal code, that means that the information is enough, or that they can ask you, at their discretion,  for a proof of delivery showing the FULL buyer's address?

Any input will be very appreciated

I've won cases like this before.  "Delivered" is sufficient if you printed the label directly from eBay or PayPal itself.  Get a different person on the phone or argue yourself up to the next level.  

2 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:
11 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I tried to find the old thread I started a few months ago on this same topic and I could not find it.

:frustrated:

What a n00b :whatev: 

Were you able to find it? It's possible it hasn't migrated over yet.

The paypal claim has been closed automatically because the buyer did not escalate to a dispute.

BUT, I sent him several messages, via ebay, via paypal and also directly at the email address that appears in the paypal transaction, and the buyer never contacted me back, so I still have the money from that transaction, but it has been on hold during three weeks because the buyer failed to close the case, even if the item was delivered.

The nice buyer name is beth0759 and I'll never deal with him/her again.

A full address sound reasonable.

What if a sham seller opens a box at one those postal stores for $10 and sends himself an AF #15.

Proof of delivery to city and zip looks good and someone gets screwed out 15K

This is not an unreasonable demand to include a full address.

22 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

A full address sound reasonable.

What if a sham seller opens a box at one those postal stores for $10 and sends himself an AF #15.

Proof of delivery to city and zip looks good and someone gets screwed out 15K

This is not an unreasonable demand to include a full address.

While the hypothetical that you posit true, that's a loophole in PayPal's policy. Their current policy states that city & zip is sufficient. If they'd like to close that loophole, they are welcome to change their policy. But until they do, asking someone to go above their own policy requirements is unreasonable.

It's like a lot of other things in life... I don't care if the law or the rule or whatever isn't fair. It is what it is. Demanding that it be ignored on a case-by-case basis or outright in favor of a more fair outcome is unreasonable. Change or repeal the stupid rule/law. Don't complain about the outcome and not change the stupid rule/law. Virtually nobody will care about if the rule gets changed. But ignoring it when it suits a purpose or an outcome is unfortunate without making any changes to fix the problem is when people start arguing.  

Bottom line? Entities or people or whatever can change the rules when a glaring hole is found. But if they don't take the initiative to change them, then they need to abide by them as they're written.

Edited by Doktor

10 hours ago, John R said:
On 2017-02-10 at 10:47 AM, VintageComics said:

I tried to find the old thread I started a few months ago on this same topic and I could not find it.

:frustrated:

Is this the thread you were looking for?

Yes, I wasn't able to find it possibly because the system was still migrating over old posts. Thanks for the link. That is exactly what I was talking about.

It looks like Paypal is slowly changing it's policies on currency conversions and even their employees don't realize it.

Legalized  theft as far as I'm concerned. Like many banks are able to do without anyone lifting a finger to be able to stop them.

PayPal promised me a refund for unauthorized conversions in November. It is February and still haven't seen it. I agree with an earlier post and that we need a competing company that is very transparent with their policies.  I don't like dealing with company's that hope the customer doesn't notice changes to their policy or gives them the run around. With the amount of customers they have, every penny they skim from each individual adds up to a huge profit at their customers expense. 

12 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

PayPal promised me a refund for unauthorized conversions in November. It is February and still haven't seen it. I agree with an earlier post and that we need a competing company that is very transparent with their policies.  I don't like dealing with company's that hope the customer doesn't notice changes to their policy or gives them the run around. With the amount of customers they have, every penny they skim from each individual adds up to a huge profit at their customers expense. 

I'm sick and tired of PP doing the conversions for me - it's nothing more than stealing extra money on the "joke" currency exchange rates.  I have stopped "letting' PP convert any money for me. Anyone from the US who sends me US currency and PP "converts" it to CDN, I  simply return the payment and have the sender re-send it to me in US. Americans sending Canadians payments in USD sometimes do not see the "dropbox" option which seems to default to CDN currency if they don't pick the option of sending the payment is USD. To get around PP stealing extra money on currency exchange, I now send my USD to a buddy who works at a bank and he does the conversion for me. It takes a few extra days but I'm not getting fleeced anymore.  End of rantrant

9 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

I'm sick and tired of PP doing the conversions for me - it's nothing more than stealing extra money on the "joke" currency exchange rates.  I have stopped "letting' PP convert any money for me. Anyone from the US who sends me US currency and PP "converts" it to CDN, I  simply return the payment and have the sender re-send it to me in US. Americans sending Canadians payments in USD sometimes do not see the "dropbox" option which seems to default to CDN currency if they don't pick the option of sending the payment is USD. To get around PP stealing extra money on currency exchange, I now send my USD to a buddy who works at a bank and he does the conversion for me. It takes a few extra days but I'm not getting fleeced anymore.  End of rantrant

Another way to do it is go the extra step and just request the $ in $US by sending a Paypal money request. Then you are sure it's going to arrive that way.