• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED - moved to the bay - GA Alex Schomburg WWII, misc GA, freebies
2 2

53 posts in this topic

Saturday Morning Serious Discounts

Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories #115 6.0 $6 $5
Startling Comics #29 2.0 $125 $115
America's Best Comics #20 2.0 $50 $40
The Fighting Yank #13 2.0 $80 $65  SOLD
The Black Terror #11  2.0 $75 $70
The Black Terror #13  2.0 $85 $75
Wonder Comics #5 2.0 $110 $100  SOLD

Also, there is that Spy Smasher #8 6.5 GCG from my other sales thread still available....

Edited by path4play

48 minutes ago, vaillant said:

@rcouto What this cover would represent, exactly: a camp in Japan?
I’m very interested in this theme depicted in comics for an ongoing research that I have, especially where historical events outside the specific war fights are taking place.

To me, the cover plays into the fear that the Japanese were going to invade the American mainland.  The desert is the American southwest?(shrug)

2 hours ago, vaillant said:

@rcouto What this cover would represent, exactly: a camp in Japan?
I’m very interested in this theme depicted in comics for an ongoing research that I have, especially where historical events outside the specific war fights are taking place.

The Japanese held approximately 130,000 allied civilians prisoner during the war, sometimes alongside military POWs, sometimes separately. Many of the camps were in the former Dutch East Indies ( Indonesia) and the Philippines.

Interesting.  The Fighting Yank also has a camp type cover, I wonder about Schomburg himself.  Was he the only one doing these types of covers?  Did he know stuff? How much did the general public know about these during actual war time?   Today's editors would probably think twice before signing off on the print run for this kind of stuff.  No grey areas during these times.