• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Way to Frame?

9 posts in this topic

I commissioned and professionally printed this homage created by Mike DeCarlo and then had Stan Lee sign it. What's the best way to frame it, matting and frame (color) and the actual framing process? Any suggestions on mat and frame options, not sure what would work best for it? I went to one place, but since it is 9x12 they wanted to stick it to a backing to keep it flat. 

IMG_1936_zpspptfurvm.jpg

Edited by Captain Canuck

I just talked to the framing manager at Michael's about framing options this week. First, never mount anything. Ask for "conservation" options. The manager said he could create a matte with hinges (so it opens like a book) and the artwork can sit between the mattes and never have to be mounted in any way. 

Other than that, always opt for the non-reflective glass and UV protected glass. As I read in other threads, stick to simple black and white styles, whether you go with a black or white matte is up to you. Ostentatious framing will detract from the artwork. Lastly, make sure you give your art at least three inches of matte border, maybe more, to give it a "museum" look. 

Just picked it up from the framers. Thanks for the advice Jay. I also had it signed by Lee, as on Kirby's drawing board is photo of me with Stan. This was a Kirby drawing, adapted and re colored by Mike Decarlo.

IMG_6562.JPG

Edited by Captain Canuck

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck said:

Just picked it up from the framers. Thanks for the advice Jay. I also had it signed by Lee, as on Kirby's drawing board is photo of me with Stan. This was a Kirby drawing, adapted and re colored by Mike Decarlo.

IMG_6562.JPG

Very nice! That's a good width for the matted and the frame looks very simple and clean. Certainly show us how it looks on the wall. 

1 hour ago, Unca Ben said:

That is really sweet!
Nicely executed, and the frame looks great!

Thanks!

Still thinking of adding another mat to it, making it a double mat, black under the white, thin bezel or will that take away from it?

9 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:
10 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

That is really sweet!
Nicely executed, and the frame looks great!

Thanks!

Still thinking of adding another mat to it, making it a double mat, black under the white, thin bezel or will that take away from it?

a lot of folks around here go for the minimalist approach, like JadeGiant said.
I figure it looks nice as is, but if you're thinkin' a thin black to separate the white mat from the white background, that would look nice, too.

You're gonna look at it more than anyone here, so do what you like!