• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the better long term investment? AF 15 cgc 7.5 or FF 1 cgc 9.0 ?
1 1

79 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

There was a FF cartoon?!

H.E.R.B.I.E.

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

You're not alone. Many of us can say the same thing.

Yes... 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 2/17/2017 at 3:40 PM, the blob said:

Every show I went to from 1994 - 1998, where I'd have $1-$2K in my pocket, why didn't I make it priority #1 to get an AF 15 in any half decent grade before looking for other krap? whyyyyyyy!??!??!  I knew it was a great book, but spending $400-$800 on one book just scared me (of course, i could have bought a bunch of restored copies in the process..)

as noted, the FF 1 in that grade is a heckuvalot harder to come by and historically that would have been a chunk more expensive, but i guess, in part, due to lackluster movies and kids not being into FF, FF being less iconic (they've never done The Thing properly, he's supposed to be funny and lovable 90% of the time, not morose and suicidal) right now, it has faded compared to AF 15.  Isn't AF 15 a pretty common book?  Look at how many copies of 14 are out there!

Bought my first copy for around $900 in 1998 :whee:

14 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Bought my first copy for around $900 in 1998 :whee:

Of course, in late 1996 I had the opportunity to buy a nice 2 bedroom penthouse apartment with a 300 square foot terrace on the MOMA block (midotwn manhattan for you out of towners..) for $225K from some motivated sellers, but was about $10K short on whatever down payment the coop board wanted...ahhhhg..if only I was able to keep it on the market until I got my year end bonus..

I have to pick AF 15 by a landslide.  Even if FF reverts back I just do not see people or kids latching onto FF4 like they do Spidey.  The Thing and Mr Fantastic really has nowhere to go and they already tried a young, hot version of Torch and Sue and neither really caught on.  I find the new Spidey annoying but I see it as a way to keep a constant young fan base which can only help the long term price for AF 15.  Both are sweet books but AF 15 all the way.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Of course, in late 1996 I had the opportunity to buy a nice 2 bedroom penthouse apartment with a 300 square foot terrace on the MOMA block (midotwn manhattan for you out of towners..) for $225K from some motivated sellers, but was about $10K short on whatever down payment the coop board wanted...ahhhhg..if only I was able to keep it on the market until I got my year end bonus..

I am Long Island bound... I get upset thinking of school taxes I'm going to pay for children I do not have.

15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am Long Island bound... I get upset thinking of school taxes I'm going to pay for children I do not have.

Unless you are living out in the Hamptons, etc. I don't see any reason to live out there if you don't have kids to go to the schools you are paying $15-$40K a year in taxes for.

On 2017-02-24 at 11:39 AM, Patriot6 said:

Sweet! I'm going to have to get that. It was Spidey and X Men on my cartoon station growing up.

Actually, the FF Cartoons I watched were in the late 1970's.

On 2017-02-24 at 3:18 PM, Dark Knight said:

I think AF 15 is the safe bet.  FF 1 may have a chance to perform well later on, but no one really knows...  At least you can see the past performances on both books to help decide what you want.  

Past performance is not an indicator in this market.

All Star #8, Showcase #4, Detective #225 - all former books that nobody would shell coin out for and now they are 'hot' and sought after.

Whiz #1 was a monster book. Then it fell behind in value. Now it's a big book again.

All that matters these days is movie rights.

Edited by VintageComics

On February 22, 2017 at 9:26 PM, zosocane said:

This pretty much sums it up.  Depends on your risk tolerance.  AF 15 is safe.  It's a blue chipper, Too Big To Fail.  FF 1 riskier, but a ton more upside when (not if) those movie rights (or at least production rights) flip to Marvel Studios.  I think it will happen, after 2020, as Marvel Studios will want to exploit the incredibly rich FF universe for a future phase.

I agree with this, and what Buzz said afterward. I really don't think one can go wrong owning either book, for different reasons. I think there's enough whales and future whales and a few well-to-do whaleabees who can stretch on occasion, to drive both. I see plenty of both of these following mindsets out there: 1) I missed the boat on Action #1 and Detective #27; Spidey is the only other character to achieve that level of iconic stature; 2) FF#1 is the beginning of the Marvel Age; this book is at least as important as Showcase #4, probably more. (Dedicated Marvel fans especially, and there's plenty.)

One mindset is slightly more character-driven, the classic big first appearance argument; the other is more the historian's context. There will be enough of both to continue driving both books. 

But I don't think there's any question FF#1 is now off pace and therefore as much a bargain as it'll be. AF15 is more like you've missed the rocket ride, if you want the rest of the (very long) steady climb, pony up.

If you don't see FF that way, if you truly believe they are fading into obscurity, take the Spidey ride. But as long as they come back in print and kick around even as a mediocre property, they will resume their role as Marvel's Superman. His titles have not been must-buy in forever, but his continued presence keeps his iconic status as the first superhero chugging along. As Marvel's first, FF can replicate this effect and keep FF1 relevant. (And 9.0 is rare air for that book.)

On 2/24/2017 at 11:04 AM, shadroch said:

I'd really like to find a valid reason to vote for the FF, but in the end, the arguments for the AF trump any . I do expect the F F to return to glory, but can't see it being a better buy than the AF.

On 2/24/2017 at 0:18 PM, Dark Knight said:

I think AF 15 is the safe bet.  FF 1 may have a chance to perform well later on, but no one really knows...  

+2

And from my personal point of view, the exact reason why AF 15 is by far a much better bet than FF 1 for sure.  (thumbsu

On 2/24/2017 at 2:14 PM, the blob said:

Unless you are living out in the Hamptons, etc. I don't see any reason to live out there if you don't have kids to go to the schools you are paying $15-$40K a year in taxes for.

All American Burgers. When you grow up in Massapequa, it's a dietary stable and eventually it breaks down your ability to live elsewhere.

20 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Past performance is not an indicator in this market.

All Star #8, Showcase #4, Detective #225 - all former books that nobody would shell coin out for and now they are 'hot' and sought after.

Whiz #1 was a monster book. Then it fell behind in value. Now it's a big book again.

All that matters these days is movie rights.

Yes, I agree that movies have pushed the values of those books much higher than before and have gained and/or renewed popularity, but it's not always the case.  It also depends if the movie had good reviews or not.  Unfortunately for the FF movies and the Green Lantern movie, it didn't quite help the value of their first issues as much as AF 15, AS 8, SC 4, etc.  It seems that FF #1 and SC #22 are good buys now but really cloudy in the future.

On 2/17/2017 at 3:40 PM, the blob said:

Every show I went to from 1994 - 1998, where I'd have $1-$2K in my pocket, why didn't I make it priority #1 to get an AF 15 in any half decent grade before looking for other krap? whyyyyyyy!??!??!  I knew it was a great book, but spending $400-$800 on one book just scared me (of course, i could have bought a bunch of restored copies in the process..)

as noted, the FF 1 in that grade is a heckuvalot harder to come by and historically that would have been a chunk more expensive, but i guess, in part, due to lackluster movies and kids not being into FF, FF being less iconic (they've never done The Thing properly, he's supposed to be funny and lovable 90% of the time, not morose and suicidal) right now, it has faded compared to AF 15.  Isn't AF 15 a pretty common book?  Look at how many copies of 14 are out there!

On 2/16/2017 at 2:25 PM, lpsunburst said:

My AF 15 has tripled in value since I bought it, cant say the same for my FF1. Next question?

No argument here. AF#15 is the silver age king. I would not even put FF#1 at the second position. Hulk #1 and Showcase #4 seem like far more upside. If you got an FF#1 sell and take the money and buy AF#15 or Hulk#1.

:) 

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

No argument here. AF#15 is the silver age king. I would not even put FF#1 at the second position. Hulk #1 and Showcase #4 seem like far more upside. If you got an FF#1 sell and take the money and buy AF#15 or Hulk#1.

:) 

+1