• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the better long term investment? AF 15 cgc 7.5 or FF 1 cgc 9.0 ?
1 1

79 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

No argument here. AF#15 is the silver age king. I would not even put FF#1 at the second position. Hulk #1 and Showcase #4 seem like far more upside. If you got an FF#1 sell and take the money and buy AF#15 or Hulk#1.

:) 

I dunno.  Assuming this isn't a short-term play, If I had, say, $25K to blow off on comics and i could only spend it on any combination of FF1s and AF15s and Hulk1s, I would buy two 5.0ish copies of FF1 at $7K or so each and one 2.5ish copy of AF15 at about $10K as a hedge.  Fantastic Four will come back to Marvel Studios in some fashion, and finally that universe (especially Surfer and Galactus) will be done correctly on the big screen.  Fox has until 2022 -- 5 years, which in DCEU years is around the corner -- to fish or cut bait with FF.  I don't think they are going to go for a third (really fourth) try to eff it up.   I think SC4 and Hulk1 have topped out for a while.

On 2/25/2017 at 10:50 PM, VintageComics said:

Past performance is not an indicator in this market.

All Star #8, Showcase #4, Detective #225 - all former books that nobody would shell coin out for and now they are 'hot' and sought after.

Whiz #1 was a monster book. Then it fell behind in value. Now it's a big book again.

All that matters these days is movie rights.

You got that right. It all changed when Groot,Rocket Racoon and Star-Lord first appearances skyrocketed overnight do to the  GotG movie. That movie changed the game with comic book speculating.

If we think about it in mainstream`'s eyes Groot,Rocket Raccoon and Star-Lord are way more popular and cooler than Fantastic Four are now and will be for a long time! 

Yep, the GotG movie was like a wow moment in how it changed the landscape with how one thinks about what comic book keys to invest in. hm

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 2/23/2017 at 11:34 AM, Buzzetta said:

I'm bigger on AF15 not just for self serving needs but because I genuinely feel that Spider-man is basically Marvel's "Mickey Mouse."

Spider-Man is their corporate symbol.  The FF are important and I actually believe that there are more higher grade AF15s out in the wild than FF1s but AF15 is of more importance...

today and in the immediate future 

If Spidey is Mickey Mouse, who is Marvel's Donald Duck?  Wolverine?

On 2/24/2017 at 0:44 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 2/17/2017 at 3:40 PM, the blob said:

Every show I went to from 1994 - 1998, where I'd have $1-$2K in my pocket, why didn't I make it priority #1 to get an AF 15 in any half decent grade before looking for other krap? whyyyyyyy!??!??!  I knew it was a great book, but spending $400-$800 on one book just scared me (of course, i could have bought a bunch of restored copies in the process..)

as noted, the FF 1 in that grade is a heckuvalot harder to come by and historically that would have been a chunk more expensive, but i guess, in part, due to lackluster movies and kids not being into FF, FF being less iconic (they've never done The Thing properly, he's supposed to be funny and lovable 90% of the time, not morose and suicidal) right now, it has faded compared to AF 15.  Isn't AF 15 a pretty common book?  Look at how many copies of 14 are out there!

Bought my first copy for around $900 in 1998 :whee:

Bought my first copy for 12 cents in 1962. :preach:

14 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

Well the 9.0 FF closed 28% lower than the last 9.0 sale less than a year ago...

Good time to buy, then.  I would take the FF1 in 9.0. The last of the mega key SA books that, soon enough, will come out of its long hibernation.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, lpsunburst said:

And so perhaps it's now an excellent buying opportunity for an undervalued iconic book.

On 3/1/2017 at 8:53 PM, lpsunburst said:

I don't think its a buying opportunity yet.  This is a big drop and the lowest sale of a 9.0 in gpa's history (only 3 sales so...).  I think you'll continue to see the book drop for awhile.  At the very least its going to make some potential buyers hold out for a few sales.  It will be interesting to see what the fantucchio pedigree 9.0 does in the May clink auction.  

One of the few books where I'd pay for the WP premium (if I could afford it).

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

And so perhaps it's now an excellent buying opportunity for an undervalued iconic book.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

I don't think its a buying opportunity yet.  This is a big drop and the lowest sale of a 9.0 in gpa's history (only 3 sales so...).  I think you'll continue to see the book drop for awhile.  At the very least its going to make some potential buyers hold out for a few sales.  It will be interesting to see what the fantucchio pedigree 9.0 does in the May clink auction.  

Books fall through the cracks all the time. I wanted to bid on some Clink books (including the FF #1) but was in Seattle, so a different time zone. By the time I got to my hotel the auction was over. If I was back home that book would not have ended below $100K the way it did the other night.

I also missed on the MMC #4 and #9 (two of my favorite books of all time). :cry:

I wouldn't write off FF #1 over one low auction.