• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I hate winning bidders that messages you right after the listing ends that they cannot pay
1 1

77 posts in this topic

Had one this weekend, auction ended with a single bid, within five minutes, the bidder emails saying that they thought they were bidding on the 1st appearance of The Vulture.  At least they emailed right away so that I could relist it and cancel the order right away.  

1 hour ago, comicalgems said:

Had one this weekend, auction ended with a single bid, within five minutes, the bidder emails saying that they thought they were bidding on the 1st appearance of The Vulture.  At least they emailed right away so that I could relist it and cancel the order right away.  

Merely tell him that he's kind of a vulture himself swooping down on your auction then leaving it for dead so-

7 hours ago, comicalgems said:

Wait...that ISN'T The Vulture on the cover of X-Men 24???  doh!

My favorite recent deadbeat story goes thusly:

1. Auctioned a ton of NECA Aliens figures. One buyer won a set of Covenant figures.

2. After three days pass and there is no payment, I send a reminder.

3. Get a message from buyer telling me they don't have any money, and can't pay for the item. I reply that they still have one more day before eBay opens the automatic unpaid item case, and even after that, they'll have a few more days to get the money together, before eBay closes the case and strikes their account.

4. They reply that they don't WANT the item. I ask why they bid on it then, and they reply that it was their son who bid on it. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm talking to a kid, because the grammar and spelling are shorthand and atrocious.

5. Case closes with no further action. I get my fees, they get a strike.

6. The day after the case closes, the buyer sends me a message asking where the item is???

7. I explain that it was never shipped, because they never paid for it, and that the case is now closed and we're done.

8. They respond that they're sorry, they thought for a minute that they accidentally paid for it, because, you know, that would be a terrible thing to do.

I've been selling for 20+ years on eBay, and 99.9% of the transactions are smooth as silk. But man, there are some real winners out there stinking up the gene pool.

PS: Happy ending: relisted the items and sold them for more than they closed at the first time, to a buyer who paid right away.

Edited by F For Fake

One time I had an item and someone sent a best offer and I accepted.  Then he sent me a ??? what is this I don't want this-I just sent a best offer to see what you would sell it for.  I explained by sending a best offer you commit to buy if I accept.  I canceled the sale.  About 2 weeks later I receive payment for the item!  I messaged buyer so you want it?  No reply.  After a few days I messaged ok I am sending item unless I hear otherwise.  He replies no I don't want it and I didn't pay for it.  I tell him paypal shows funds recieved for this item.  What happened was the item was somehow still in his paypal cart even though I canceled on ebay.  He did a block payment of all his items in paypal so payment was sent to me.  He was oblivious that he paid $200 for an item he didn't want.

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:05 AM, Loukayza said:

Almost annoying as the people that quickly send you a message after ignoring your couple of thousand positive feedback and happy customers to quickly say "please package my items safely"....

I think you'd be surprised at the number of sellers that don't package their items safely - thankfully a minority but they're out there!

Yes, the "Will you take $XXX for this? I'm a serious buyer." on an item without best offer. I figure OK and use the "Send Offer" feature and send the offer for $XXX. No response only to have someone else come in and buy it now at full price.

This has happened a few times.

29 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

Yes, the "Will you take $XXX for this? I'm a serious buyer." on an item without best offer. I figure OK and use the "Send Offer" feature and send the offer for $XXX. No response only to have someone else come in and buy it now at full price.

This has happened a few times.

- "hey bro, what's the lowest you'll take for this book?" 
- 'I'm not answering that, feel free to send an offer you feel is fair.'

I get an offer of $50 on a book that eventually sold for $335.  New book subsequently goes up.

:facepalm:

4 hours ago, mrc said:

I think you'd be surprised at the number of sellers that don't package their items safely - thankfully a minority but they're out there!

The sellers that put the time and effort into shipping your books appropriately are going to do it whether you send a message instructing them to do so or not. Similarly, a seller that doesn't care about packing and shipping your books isn't going to all of a sudden care just because you sent them a message reminding them.

22 hours ago, darkstar said:

The sellers that put the time and effort into shipping your books appropriately are going to do it whether you send a message instructing them to do so or not. Similarly, a seller that doesn't care about packing and shipping your books isn't going to all of a sudden care just because you sent them a message reminding them.

Happens more with raw books. Seller sends books from US to UK in paper envelope. I then request future sellers 'could they possibly include card stiffener for book'. Seller says 'sure - no problem' Everyone's happy and in the rare instance of damage/dispute I can let ebay know I did everything I could to ensure a smooth transaction for both parties.

On August 15, 2017 at 4:29 PM, mattn792 said:

I get an offer of $50 on a book that eventually sold for $335.  New book subsequently goes up.

I would have matched his stupidity "Hey bro, what's the most you're willing to pay for this book?"

On 8/15/2017 at 4:29 PM, mattn792 said:

I know, that one always kills me. I had the Best Offer option up on all of my BIN items, and I still get those questions. It's like, hey, at least have the decency to lowball me through the proper channels!

Not trying to justify deadbeat bidders but there are different reasons why this happens.

Some people place max bids way higher then they are willing to pay, which is irresponsible and completely there fault but at the time it makes sense.

This creates the situation "wow someone was willing to pay that much...I think I over paid now"

Could be the last minute bidder in a rush who entered the wrong amount. 150 dollars instead of 15 and the item ends for 25. Now the buyer is stuck paying more then they wanted. (This actually happened to me, luckily the item sold for a relatively fair price.)

Usually its the classic instant buyers remorse, which could be based on over max bidding or just last minute frustration from being outbid.

The problem is that there's no way of knowing what the buyer did and if they made an error or just wasting your time.

Its 100% the bidders responsibility and no matter the excuse they are at fault.

It really sucks that eBay has become a buyers paradise and this example along with many other reasons is why I choose to sell my books elsewhere these days.

Edited by grayzr

18 hours ago, grayzr said:

The problem is that there's no way of knowing what the buyer did and if they made an error or just wasting your time.

Incorrect to some extent, most thrill bidders will out themselves with a quick exchange of messages.  I had an enjoyable one with my last individual_without_enough_empathy bidder:

"Hey I bid on the wrong item, can you cancel?"  (No, my item was unique on eBay for months)

"I'm new I don't know what I'm doing with the app" (You've been a longtime member and your feedback shows three other similar incidents in the past year)

"I'm gonna leave you bad feedback then for being unprofessional" (Go ahead, I'll be sure to provide our full exchange to eBay customer service)

"OK, will you take 2/3 of the sale in six weeks?" (Yeah, no)

On 3/1/2017 at 8:15 AM, darkstar said:

Except instant payment required doesn't allow for auctions or combined shipping.

Since I like to buy multiple books and not just one at a time, I usually just skip these listings.

On 01/03/2017 at 4:05 AM, Loukayza said:

Almost annoying as the people that quickly send you a message after ignoring your couple of thousand positive feedback and happy customers to quickly say "please package my items safely"....

I got that once for an auction of two large heavy hardcovers and felt I'd like to swipe the guy over the head with them.