• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling Thousands of Comics....Best Way?
1 1

116 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

If it's pure trash maybe.  I can't recall the details of your friend's but, didn't he pay people to sort it or something?

I can't remember the details but It seems like there was something like that involved.  He's no fool either he's a very savvy businessman-his store burned and he was back up and running in a new location within a month and now he's doing better than ever.

1 minute ago, kav said:

I can't remember the details but It seems like there was something like that involved.  He's no fool either he's a very savvy businessman-his store burned and he was back up and running in a new location within a month and now he's doing better than ever.

We buy stuff like this all the time and make money.  Pay 10 cents a book, separate out anything hot or key.  If there are runs we package them up and sell at $2 to $3 a book.  The rest we toss in $1 boxes and sell 25% to 50% fairly quickly.  

7 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

We buy stuff like this all the time and make money.  Pay 10 cents a book, separate out anything hot or key.  If there are runs we package them up and sell at $2 to $3 a book.  The rest we toss in $1 boxes and sell 25% to 50% fairly quickly.  

I don't know what to say he rotated 3 long boxes at a time 25 cents a book and didn't sell a single comic in 2 months.

1 minute ago, kav said:

I don't know what to say he rotated 3 long boxes at a time 25 cents a book and didn't sell a single comic in 2 months.

We set up at shows all the time.  We have a pretty good sell through rate at $! a book, even better if we go down to 50 cents per book.

And if MedicAR's books aren't cherry picked there's got to be minor keys.  And he mentions some SA and GA.

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

We set up at shows all the time.  We have a pretty good sell through rate at $! a book, even better if we go down to 50 cents per book.

And if MedicAR's books aren't cherry picked there's got to be minor keys.  And he mentions some SA and GA.

yep m y buddy took em to shows also-nothing

The owner of A1 comics was completely uninterested in them even at a penny a book.  And he's no fool.

47 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

If there's a decent percentage of superhero books you should be able to get about $30 a long.  I'd imagine there's a lot of easy to sell $1 books and some keys or minor keys.

Heroes are the majority of the books.  I was hoping for the $50 per box range but if it's closer to 20 or 30, so be it.  I'll call Mile High and see what they have to say.

42 minutes ago, MedicAR said:

Heroes are the majority of the books.  I was hoping for the $50 per box range but if it's closer to 20 or 30, so be it.  I'll call Mile High and see what they have to say.

It would depend on the quality of the books.  

Talking to Chuck is a good idea but don't ignore the other dealers in the room.  Perhaps you'll find a few that are just starting out and looking for inventory.  They might not be able to handle 90 longs but might jump at picking up 5 to 10 longs

Edited by thehumantorch

If they are mostly bagged and boarded, and the runs are all sorted and they are vf on average mainstream marvel and DC about $50/long is possible but may take awhile. If you picked all the keys that will make it harder to sell. Also if it is 92-96 era stuff it is just so common and undesirable outside of a few select titles that will make it tougher. You should be able to get at least $25/long pretty easily based on what you said. Throw it on craigslist/the boards/etc with some pictures, multiply how many long you have by $50 and see if anyone jumps in.

This thread has been painful to read. Honestly people are recommending throwing comics away??? :pullhair: There's plenty of thrift stores that are non profit for good causes that books can be donated to at least. Also I know I shop in the LA area that specializes with this type of bulk. Speros Heroes in Canoga Park. Maybe give them a call if it doesn't workout with Chuck