• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED and RESOLVED ?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Just wondering.

This book has been available online to purchase.  I just got home from seeing Lewis Black (Great show) to find this email from CGC.  This is no mistake as anyone who enters their books in the registry knows, the bar code number has to not only be correct but entered into the correct spot in the set.  You cannot enter the code anywhere and hope it works.  So... this begs the question.

Who is TheComicBookKid76, and why would a 41 year old (I presume) individual feel compelled to steal numbers to pad points?

Discuss.

BTW... I just went through the books I have available for sale and this book is still in my possession.

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 11.54.02 PM.png

Edited by Buzzetta

2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Do the same to him, specifically on his highest point books.

He has nothing I want.  

The real reason though is that if he did it with me, he is probably using someone else's books in other slots.  Not cool once it gets sorted out... if it gets sorted out.

If I am wrong here then I will definitely make a public apology to the guy and I admit I will look stupid.  However, there is enough dishonesty in our hobby and I grow intolerant of seeing even a slight bit more. 

There have been several threads in the CGC Registry Forum related to this issue. Some people take the registry way too seriously and will go to whatever lengths to gain the lead. :facepalm:

Edited by Gotham Kid

What's CGC's default action if you don't respond?  If it's to not tranfer the book, then I don't see how this maneuver works, unless someone trying it assumes the target will be inattentive enough just to ok the transfer. This assumes the point is to get credit for books you don't own. hm

If CGC's default action is to transfer the book, then they might want to think abut changng that. 

It's possible he's grabbing numbers and hoping they're not registered. Especially for items being sold, it's likely they're from a dealer who would never register the numbers anyway. I believe once you attempt to enter the cert #, it immediately goes to the request to transfer -- I don't think it asks you if you want to do that first -- so he probably tried grabbing a high points book keeping his fingers crossed that it wouldn't be registered already. He should lose points for trying :devil:

8 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

There have been several threads in the CGC Registry Forum related to this issue. Some people take the registry way too seriously and will go to whatever lengths to gain the lead. :facepalm:

WAY Too seriously. I just don't get the craziness of the registry.

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

WAY Too seriously. I just don't get the craziness of the registry.

It honestly is an easy way to keep track of my slabbed books. With the entry of a bar code number I can have access to grade and PQ and a photo if I upload it.  All of this is in my phone so long as I can connect to the internet.

There have been shows I've been at where I literally deferred to the registry when trying to determine which of two ASM books I should upgrade.

I had this happen once.  Turned out that the person claiming to own my book had the same book with a serial number that was only one number off.  We had bought the books from the same seller and for some reason the other owner used the serial number in the auction, not the actual serial number on his book.  The seller had been using a stock image for the auction. It finally got resolved after 3 attempts to add the book to my registry.  So, it could be an innocent mistake or perhaps not.

I just checked and somehow the book was transferred out of my ownership DESPITE me rejecting the claim.

So...  I added it to my slot and will be writing a message to CBK76.  

Book was just purchased by the same individual who had transferred it into their registry.  He must have transferred the numbers into his set the day before he intended on buying it.  Still kind of odd considering that someone else could have bought the book from under him.  

He claimed it on eBay now I am awaiting for payment.

I am always skeptical of this since someone took an image of one of my AF15's and tried to sell that on eBay

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Book was just purchased by the same individual who had transferred it into their registry.  He must have transferred the numbers into his set the day before he intended on buying it.  Still kind of odd considering that someone else could have bought the book from under him.  

He claimed it on eBay now I am awaiting for payment.

I am always skeptical of this since someone took an image of one of my AF15's and tried to sell that on eBay. 

well now, I didn't see that coming! GLWTS!

17 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

Your rules, not mine..!

True... but he still has not paid and he purchased the book after I sent him a message over the boards as to why he was entering it into his registry.  There is still no response / message back and no payment.  

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

True... but he still has not paid and he purchased the book after I sent him a message over the boards as to why he was entering it into his registry.  There is still no response / message back and no payment.  

He probably read this post and figured buying the book was the best way to cover his @ $ $...  Definitely is annoying the transfer happened after a rejection and is something that should be brought to CGC's attention.  I've never had an issue with registry transfers but if its that easy to nab a high point book then I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often.  And I'm in the same boat...  I'm fairly certain I won't be in contention for any registry awards but its a valuable tool for building a run.