• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teachable Moments at a Comic Con Article
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I thought that was a great read (even though I'm not a fan of his formatting).  I was sure that the Con mentioned was the Portland Wizard show based on the Stranger Things kids being the big draw but it sounds like Portland was well attended. 

>

<http://arseniclullabies.com/wordpress/?p=4437

It was an interesting read and I respect his not wanting to throw this particular promotor under the bus by naming him, but knowing which con it was would have made it a little easier to evaluate what the problem might have been.  He seems to be saying that this is a common problem and not just the result of one rookie promoter not knowing what he was doing.  But I don't know how many cons with decent guest lists have that kind of negligible Saturday afternoon attendance.

Seems like it may have been more of a one-off fiasco and then a sign of the coming apocalypse. hm

Edited by Sqeggs

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It was an interesting read and I respect his not wanting to throw this particular promotor under the bus by naming him, but knowing which con it was would have made it a little easier to evaluate what the problem might have been.  He seems to be saying that this is a common problem and not just the result of one rookie promoter not knowing what he was doing.  But I don't know how many cons with decent guest lists have that kind of negligible Saturday afternoon attendance.

Seems like it may have been more of a one-off fiasco and then a sign of the coming apocalypse. hm

It's pretty obvious from the screenshots which were not properly blacked out: Brazos Valley Comic Con / STXcon.com

poor parker stevenson.  he's still working apparently.

I don't understand the notion of paying someone 10,000 to show up though.  If tickets are $25 you are betting that, at a minimum, this will CAUSE 400 more people to show up?  Maybe at a show with 50-100,000 atendees, but a lot of these shows don't crack 7-10,000

15 hours ago, the blob said:

poor parker stevenson.  he's still working apparently.

I don't understand the notion of paying someone 10,000 to show up though.  If tickets are $25 you are betting that, at a minimum, this will CAUSE 400 more people to show up?  Maybe at a show with 50-100,000 atendees, but a lot of these shows don't crack 7-10,000

Not sure if the person is being paid the $10,000 but is guaranteed that amount in pictures / autograph sales.  Now if the attendance is low and the celeb only sells $5,000 in pictures / autographs then the promoter has to pony up the difference.  Kind of a two edge sword since you need big name celebs to bring the people in at $50 a pop but they all have a high minimum. 

On 2017-02-21 at 6:48 PM, aardvark88 said:

I like the tip about advertising on college or university radio, and 'bribing' LCS staff to promote your con with say 2 free tix per shop in your city and the suburbs.

The link to the main article no longer works. Someone must have wanted it taken down.

It's said often but not often enough. Comic people are not naturally business people. Having an emotional attachment to your product works the opposite way that a business mind does.

It's common sense marketing 101 that you would advertise in these places but I guess it's not so common.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The link to the main article no longer works. Someone must have wanted it taken down.

It's said often but not often enough. Comic people are not naturally business people. Having an emotional attachment to your product works the opposite way that a business mind does.

It's common sense marketing 101 that you would advertise in these places but I guess it's not so common.

I don't know if anyone still listens to radio, but I can tell you for a fact that I went to my first con in 1993 or thereabouts after starting to get back into comics and not having been to one since 1985 or 1986 because I heard Howard Stern plugging it...I think it was the Philly Wizardworld, might have been the first one?  I schlepped all the way down to Philly from NYC.  After that I started going to the NYC shows at Penn Pavilion, etc.