• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Comics4Kids

52 posts in this topic

Hello!

Has anyone on the boards donated comics to Comics4Kids recently?

I am moving from Florida to Boston, and my wife freaked out when she realized that my comic collection has grown to 30 long boxes and that the movers were going to have a field day with us.

So anyway, I was thinking of donating a bunch of the comics I know I'll never read/enjoy out. Are any comics acceptable? Not to sound silly, but can I send them comics under the MAX imprint by Marvel? Or should I stick to normal comics?

Does the USPS give any problems if I send the comics in a taped up comics long box? Or what would be the best way to send them? I'm probably talking 500-800 comics, so I would send quite a few long boxes. Is media mail fine?

Let me know!

Hello!

Has anyone on the boards donated comics to Comics4Kids recently?

I am moving from Florida to Boston, and my wife freaked out when she realized that my comic collection has grown to 30 long boxes and that the movers were going to have a field day with us.

So anyway, I was thinking of donating a bunch of the comics I know I'll never read/enjoy out. Are any comics acceptable? Not to sound silly, but can I send them comics under the MAX imprint by Marvel? Or should I stick to normal comics?

Does the USPS give any problems if I send the comics in a taped up comics long box? Or what would be the best way to send them? I'm probably talking 500-800 comics, so I would send quite a few long boxes. Is media mail fine?

Let me know!

thumbsup2.gif

The craziest thing man! I was just skimming and saw your post -

First, thank you for thinking of us!

flowerred.gif

OK - to answer your questions,

we accept anything and everything comics-wise. A great deal of the non kid stuff(Marvel Max, DC vertigo, etc) we trade to local comic shops for kid friendly fare, so we can accept them. Additionally, we are stockpiling single issues and trade paperbacks for our library - we have many levels of readership, including adult hospice.

Tape the [#@$%!!!] out of your boxes, but in such a way so that the tape will not catch on machinery at the Post Office.

Long boxes are fine, probably 3 or 4, and we have had no problems with media mail, if they ask, tell them you are sending the comics to kids to improve literacy and for library activity. Otherwise if you want to you can send them BOUND PRINTED MATTER RATE, but the limit on weight for BPM rate is 15 pounds per package, so that would break up your comics into quite a few smaller boxes. You might also consider United Parcel Service, Ground rate. I would not recommend Fed Ex or DHL as early reports indicate to me that they are cost-prohibitive.

Please feel free to contact me with any other questions you might have, and also feel free to visit our website at www.comics4kids.org , where we have recently updated our pages with answers to questions such as these you have posed.

Thanks again so much for thinking of us, and let your wife know that you and she are great champions of literacy! acclaim.gif

Take Care,

Dale Moore, President

Comics4Kids

20825 State Rt. 410 East # 413

Bonney Lake, WA 98390

Thanks for the heads' up, man we will investigate!

So far the only person who sent comics through FedEx was Heritage Comics, and the postage was $55.00 - maybe they sent it expedited or something...(short box)

I sent in about a short box worth not too long ago. Media mail cost me around $8. When I told them they were old comics that were going to a charity (the name Comics4Kids on the label helps) they had no problem sending them media mail.

I've also had opportunities recently to refer some teachers to the site. Kind of odd, as soon as I donated I ran into two different teachers (one at a con and one at a LCS) looking to get comics for their classes. It looks like teachers are coming around to the idea of this medium as a good alternative to encourage kids to read thumbsup2.gif

It's a great thing that you're doing Dr. Neff... keep up the good work.

Update for FedEx : We can recommend that you send your books Federal Express ground rate

. We hear a lot of great things and for our purposes FedEx seems to be copacetic! So good news everybody!

If any of you ever want to send a long box here or there, I would be happy to extend to you my UPS account as we get a nice discount and it would be cheaper than Fed Ex.

On another note, if you are ever sending a big load,(+5 long boxes) do contact me as I can save you much more with a freight carrier.

If any of you ever want to send a long box here or there, I would be happy to extend to you my UPS account as we get a nice discount and it would be cheaper than Fed Ex.

frustrated.gif I just sent them 2 long boxes. Wish I had known.

frustrated.gif I just sent them 2 long boxes. Wish I had known.

Now you do for next time thumbsup2.gif

Where can I find a list of hospitals, hospices, schools, etc. C4K has delivered comics to? How often and in what quantites are comics distributed to these places?

Specifics are missing from your website...

Jim

Where can I find a list of hospitals, hospices, schools, etc. C4K has delivered comics to? How often and in what quantites are comics distributed to these places?

Does no one have an answer to this question?

Jim

Jim,

A quick search of google shows we are not the only one's wondering.

Comics4Kids.org

Just found this site cruising through some of the follow-up posts from LIONS, TIGERS AND BEARS on The Pulse.

Comics4Kids.org is "...a not-for-profit company that gives comic books to children. This at once instills a sense of appreciation for literacy, as well as providing vicarious adventure for these children, maybe even comforting them."

There's a listing of press articles about the organization (but no links or excerpts), merchandise like t-shirts and mugs that you can buy, a few links to comic book dealers, but no specific documentation of what the organization has actually done. Call me a little bit puzzled.

http://allages.blogspot.com/2004_10_01_allages_archive.html

Just out of curiousity.

Have either of you guys pm'd Neff to make himaware of this post. The implication seems to be that they are refusing to answer,while they might not be aware of turn in this thread.

I agree. People seem eager to make subtle accusations/suggestions and be suspicious (seems to be the norm for around here), when all they have to do is inquire at the source. Please don't turn this into the next witch hunt, guys. Ask Dale (Neff) and see if they keep track of that information first before you start pointing out that it's "interesting" that they don't post where they sent all 75 copies of Robin III that were donated a while back..