• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? : The 13 Essential Collector Tools of the 21st century

53 posts in this topic

2. eBay

9. Comic Book Pedigrees: The 50 Greatest Collections ever discovered by Matt

Nelson (www.classicsincorporated.com)

11. Comics Guaranty, LLC. ( CGC )

I hope my LCS owner reads this thread. We'll have a good laugh about it next time I'm in the shop. hi.gif

screwy.gif Without eBay and this website, I would be able to buy back issues only about once a year. I would say that makes them pretty important. I know I am hardly alone in feeling that way. confused-smiley-013.gif

It appears hobby's LCS has him programmed that the only place to buy comic books safely is your LCS, that's one way to keep your customers!! 27_laughing.gif

The rest of the sane world realizes that the internet, and Ebay in particular, has revolutionized collectible hobbies such as ours and have levelled the playing field between collector and dealer. I'm sure the LCS's (and full-time mail order dealers) really enjoy the competition!! screwy.gif

2. eBay

I hope my LCS owner reads this thread. We'll have a good laugh about it next time I'm in the shop. hi.gif

screwy.gif Without eBay and this website, I would be able to buy back issues only about once a year. I would say that makes them pretty important. I know I am hardly alone in feeling that way. confused-smiley-013.gif

It appears hobby's LCS has him programmed that the only place to buy comic books safely is your LCS, that's one way to keep your customers!! 27_laughing.gif

The rest of the sane world realizes that the internet, and Ebay in particular, has revolutionized collectible hobbies such as ours and have levelled the playing field between collector and dealer. I'm sure the LCS's (and full-time mail order dealers) really enjoy the competition!! screwy.gif

I am all for supporting local businesses, and I respect Hobby for doing so. That being said, the days of dealers cheating people blind because they don't know any better (as I was when I was kid) are long gone thanks mostly to eBay. The collecting world has expanded a thousand fold due to the internet and, for the most part, I think the change has been positive. I know my collection would be about a quarter as large right now without it.

2. eBay

sign-funnypost.gif I must admit, that was funny. My LCS strictly follows the OS guide for pricing, and since I now also follow the guide I can tell if I were getting jipped or not.

I understand some people don't have access to an LCS. For those, I sometimes wonder how far out in the middle of nowhere they live, but I understand that is the case for some. However, I will always look for back issues from someplace like ComicSupply.com and sites like it before I resort to looking for an eBay copy which will more than likely not be in the condition I expect it to be in.

You all post threads all the time about how you've been jipped on eBay by sellers who over grade their books. I've fallen victim to that game as well in the instances I have purchased from eBay. It's because of that fact that I wonder why the hobby relies on eBay so much, because many times it can be misleading, even if not simply due to a seller not being an expert at grading.

That's the only issue I have.

My LCS strictly follows the OS guide for pricing, and since I now also follow the guide I can tell if I were getting jipped or not.

If you're buying just about anything from the last 25 years, or low or mid-grade bronze and silver at OS guide pricing, you're most likely getting jipped. This doesn't really apply to keys or ultra-high grade slabbed material, but most books listed at $5 or less in OS can be found in $0.50/$1.00 boxes at shows (and even cheaper on ebay), and non-key bronze and silver below VF don't sell near guide prices at shows or on ebay.

2. eBay

sign-funnypost.gif I must admit, that was funny. My LCS strictly follows the OS guide for pricing, and since I now also follow the guide I can tell if I were getting jipped or not.

I understand some people don't have access to an LCS. For those, I sometimes wonder how far out in the middle of nowhere they live, but I understand that is the case for some. However, I will always look for back issues from someplace like ComicSupply.com and sites like it before I resort to looking for an eBay copy which will more than likely not be in the condition I expect it to be in.

You all post threads all the time about how you've been jipped on eBay by sellers who over grade their books. I've fallen victim to that game as well in the instances I have purchased from eBay. It's because of that fact that I wonder why the hobby relies on eBay so much, because many times it can be misleading, even if not simply due to a seller not being an expert at grading.

That's the only issue I have.

Too be honest, I don't thing HG buyers DO waste their time on eBay (with the exception of buying from 3 or 4 established sellers). I like 7.0-9.0 and eBay is a goldmine for me. I pay maybe 25% or less of the comic shop price and 50-75% of the con price on eBay. True, I get stuck with a dog every now and then, but I am usually able to return it or flip it for around what I paid. In the end, some of the great deals I have gotten far outweight the handfull of negative experiences I have had.

My LCS strictly follows the OS guide for pricing, and since I now also follow the guide I can tell if I were getting jipped or not.

If you're buying just about anything from the last 25 years, or low or mid-grade bronze and silver at OS guide pricing, you're most likely getting jipped. This doesn't really apply to keys or ultra-high grade slabbed material, but most books listed at $5 or less in OS can be found in $0.50/$1.00 boxes at shows (and even cheaper on ebay), and non-key bronze and silver below VF don't sell near guide prices at shows or on ebay.

The only thing I buy are modern keys in fairly high grade.

Modern Keys? How many of those can there be? However, since you're not buying them slabbed you're probably ok picking them up from the LCS... thumbsup2.gif

What are the modern keys you are talking about? Even if you include copper I can't think of very many....

1. ASM 300

2. ASM 238

3. ASM 252

4. Wolverine Mini 1

5. Sandman 1

6. Preacher 1

7. X-Men 266

8. TMNT 1

9. Albedo 2

10. USM 1

11. Next Men 21

...a couple of these (like ASM 252 and Preacher 1) are a definite stretch for key status.

Interested to know what others you might consider keys. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Im going to have to add Wizard as much as some despise it, becuase it sort of helps forcast future modern book trends

AND it's suitable for lining the cages of our exotic pets, right guys!?! Guys?....

I think the list should be kept to tools/resources that assist collectors in assessing, buying, and storing our comics. So in that sense, the OS Grading Guide would qualify, but a book like Scott McCloud's would not.

I would add to the list Susan Cicconi's email address - for those who prefer her resto check to CGC's.

I think the list should be kept to tools/resources that assist collectors in assessing, buying, and storing our comics. So in that sense, the OS Grading Guide would qualify, but a book like Scott McCloud's would not.

I see where you are coming from, but it still seems somewhat odd. I think for most people, reading and appreciating the comics as art and literature is THE MOST important aspect of collecting, without it the hobby would likely not exist. While I agree that McCloud's book may not be as obviously functional as the other choices, I still think it trumps a lot of things on the list.

I guess it all comes down to how you define "collecting resource". thumbsup2.gif

Too be honest, I don't thing HG buyers DO waste their time on eBay (with the exception of buying from 3 or 4 established sellers). I like 7.0-9.0 and eBay is a goldmine for me. I pay maybe 25% or less of the comic shop price and 50-75% of the con price on eBay. True, I get stuck with a dog every now and then, but I am usually able to return it or flip it for around what I paid. In the end, some of the great deals I have gotten far outweight the handfull of negative experiences I have had.

Too right! thumbsup2.gif

The comic shops I frequent still have Spawn #1s (in VFNM) for over $20. They can be bought on eBay for less than $5.

I recently saw a copy of Wolverine #2 (regular series) for $18 at my LCS, again not in true NM but more like VFNM or even VF.

screwy.gif

Most comic shop prices on key CA/MA books are way above what they sell for on eBay. It's wholesale prices versus retail.

I think for most people, reading and appreciating the comics as art and literature is THE MOST important aspect of collecting...

thumbsup2.gif

As a seasoned collector who rarely sells, my basic essentails are now simple: OPG, Ebay, LCS. The list is pretty good, as I own several of the books mentioned, (there's a few on there that I would strike - sorry, "Guide to Classics Illustrated" is not essential), but there's two resources not mentioned yet:

1. The Grand Comic Database! (http://www.comics.org/)

I use this all the time, whether it's to check out a cover I've never seen, writing or artistic credits, etc. Invaluable information there, and growing all the time. Anybody can add a cover scan if you have one that's not there.

2. And from my LCS, I always get the weekly Comic Shop News, and the monthly Previews. No need to buy a Wizard when you have these two.

Before Ebay I would have said that the CBG was an essential, but I let my subscription lapse a few years ago. I bought it for the ads...

I see where you are coming from, but it still seems somewhat odd. I think for most people, reading and appreciating the comics as art and literature is THE MOST important aspect of collecting, without it the hobby would likely not exist. While I agree that McCloud's book may not be as obviously functional as the other choices, I still think it trumps a lot of things on the list.

I guess it all comes down to how you define "collecting resource". thumbsup2.gif

Yes, agreed. I've probably sold all of 20 comics in my life, and most of those when I was 16, so it's been about 25 years since I sold. But in terms of obtaining the comics in my collection, books like McCloud's and Eisner's don't qualify. Nor would "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom," which I read recently and enjoyed tremendously. I'm talking about the "utilities" that assist you in obtaining the comics in your collection - not the informational sources that maximize your enjoyment/appreciation of same. Sounds like there's at least two lists being discussed here!

What are the modern keys you are talking about? Even if you include copper I can't think of very many....

1. ASM 300

2. ASM 238

3. ASM 252

4. Wolverine Mini 1

5. Sandman 1

6. Preacher 1

7. X-Men 266

8. TMNT 1

9. Albedo 2

10. USM 1

11. Next Men 21

...a couple of these (like ASM 252 and Preacher 1) are a definite stretch for key status.

Interested to know what others you might consider keys. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I do only have 4 of those 11 you listed. 27_laughing.gif So looks like I've got work to do!

1. ASM 300

2. ASM 238

3. ASM 252

4. Wolverine Mini 1

5. Sandman 1

6. Preacher 1

7. X-Men 266

8. TMNT 1

9. Albedo 2

10. USM 1

11. Next Men 21

Well, I do only have 4 of those 11 you listed. 27_laughing.gif So looks like I've got work to do!

Good luck on 8 and 9! wink.gif

The comic shops I frequent still have Spawn #1s (in VFNM) for over $20. They can be bought on eBay for less than $5.

Seriously? What kind of shop do you go to?!?!? 893whatthe.gif I'm fairly certain I could go to my LCS and get Spawn 1's for under $5.

I did recently buy from my LCS a NM Ultimate Spidey #1, New Avengers #1 variant, and the entire run of New X-Men #114 - 155 all for about $120 I believe.

1. ASM 300

2. ASM 238

3. ASM 252

4. Wolverine Mini 1

5. Sandman 1

6. Preacher 1

7. X-Men 266

8. TMNT 1

9. Albedo 2

10. USM 1

11. Next Men 21

Good luck on 8 and 9! wink.gif

Well, I include a lot of 1st appearances, 1st issues, etc. And yes I do include copper books as well, such as my new Star Wars #1, Spectacular Spidey #1, and a bunch of lower valued 1st's like Carnage, Bishop, etc. That's just what I like.

Well, I include a lot of 1st appearances, 1st issues, etc. And yes I do include copper books as well, such as my new Star Wars #1, Spectacular Spidey #1, and a bunch of lower valued 1st's like Carnage, Bishop, etc. That's just what I like.

Star Wars 1 is from 1977 and unquestionably a bronze age book. Not sure about the others, but they seem like minor keys at best. Someone should put together a list, I have been wanting to pick up some important moderns myself lately. Sounds like you got a great deal on the USM 1 and others....

::COUGHMILEHIGHCOMICS.COMCOUGH:: headbang.gif