• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My week at CGC...get out your violins fellas
1 1

25 posts in this topic

:sorry:

So I sent some things to CGC as per usual...big woop.

I'll start with Iron man#1-

You guys are going to laugh me off the boards but I thought I had put a 7.5 copy in the box, but I mixed up the copies brushing and sent away a 3.5!:makepoint:

Also sent Sub-Mariner #1 thinking I would get back an 8.0, but I missed a TINY SPEC of tape on the back cover and got back the best looking 6.0 I've ever seen...darn tape.

But the clicher is I sent an ASM#1 which I had pegged at 3.0 maybe even 3.5 and I got it back as a 2.5 :boo:. WORSE is that it has rainbow rings, as I liek to call em. This is just a take me out back and end it all kind of CGC week for me.....

IM1_zpsphchsfww.jpg

SM1_zps5bf7wgkj.jpg

ASM1_zpsuvkoqvig.jpg

4 minutes ago, HighStakesComics said:

I like that ASM 1!

I had that ASM#1 in a safe in my basement in 02 and someone broke into the house and stole the safe and smashed it in the garage and drove off with the contents, Spidey included, and the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons took the collector coins and spent them at the mall not realising that Spidey was the most valuable thing they had, and the jerks threw it out the window into a snow bank with some papers with my name on it and someone saw and was kind enough to return it to me, but that is where the water stain in the corner comes from. 

She's a cold world sometimes. :frown:

20 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

I had that ASM#1 in a safe in my basement in 02 and someone broke into the house and stole the safe and smashed it in the garage and drove off with the contents, Spidey included, and the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons took the collector coins and spent them at the mall not realising that Spidey was the most valuable thing they had, and the jerks threw it out the window into a snow bank with some papers with my name on it and someone saw and was kind enough to return it to me, but that is where the water stain in the corner comes from. 

It sounds like that book is determined to have a place in your personal collection.

That is certainly a terrible set of circumstances, but somehow someway this book made it's way back to you. The grade on the label, whether it's 2.5, 3.0 or 3.5 is really just a formailty. It was destined to be yours. 

Seemed like all the talk at the Con I went to this mornings was about how strict CGC has been lately.  Couple people said they had switched over to the other guys until CGC lightens up a bit.  I can say from the results of my recent sub that I will not be subbing anything other then prescreening anytime soon.  Books bought as 8.0 from the Tongie Collection with a certificate saying they graded it a 8.0 and it comes back a 6.5.  Everything seems to be a full grade stricter then my last big sub a couple years ago.  You're definitely not the only one to be disappointed in CGC current graders.

Edited by 1Cool

It has been in the familly since off the rack and I don't know that I could ever part with it. 

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Seemed like all the talk at the Con was about how strict CGC has been lately.  Couple people said that had switched over to the other guy until CGC lightens up a bit.  I can say from the results of my recent sub that I will not be subbing any thing other then prescreening anytime soon.  Books bought as 8.0 from the Tongie Collection with a certificate saying they graded it a 8.0 and it comes back a 6.5.  Your definitely not the only one to be disappointed in CGC current graders.

I agree, plus I miss the coupon! I would never go with the other guys, but really how can you go from calling something a 3.5 for years and then all of a sudden it is a 2.5? Kind of defeats the purpose of grading no?

22 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Seemed like all the talk at the Con was about how strict CGC has been lately.  Couple people said that had switched over to the other guy until CGC lightens up a bit.  I can say from the results of my recent sub that I will not be subbing any thing other then prescreening anytime soon.  Books bought as 8.0 from the Tongie Collection with a certificate saying they graded it a 8.0 and it comes back a 6.5.  Your definitely not the only one to be disappointed in CGC current graders.

I got a batch of roughly 15 books back not long ago and I did not notice much of a difference from prior subs.

Since they are in the opinion issuing business it's never a exact science and a bit of a numbers game. 

Out of the 15 maybe 10 were within a grade of my expectations. A couple came in significantly higher (2 + grades) than I anticipated. A couple came in significantly lower. Nothing that would sway me to jump off the bandwagon.

I will concur the OP's ASM 1 looks a little better than 2.5, at least in my opinion.

On 2017-02-24 at 4:05 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

lol

I remember when I first started grading with CGC I was usually off by about 3 whole points.  doh!

16 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

Best possible outcome, it sucks that it happened at all, but you getting the book back is like divine intervention or something!

6 minutes ago, Chadwick said:

Best possible outcome, it sucks that it happened at all, but you getting the book back is like divine intervention or something!

Yes, I was most worried about Spidey and my pup because she got loose when they kicked in the door, got her back too. And Chad since you know what I'm talking about when I say snow bank, in the Canadian sense, I'm lucky it didn't perish!