• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70s Jim Starlin Appreciation Thread - MARK II...
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Looks like it's been quite a few years since the heir apparent to Kirby's Kosmic Krown @ Marvel got his due here, so away we go...

I'll kick things off with scans of my copies of the original "Thanos Saga" (which, frankly, wasn't terribly "original" at all, given that it was HEAVILY influenced by Kirby's "Fourth World" titles for DC...but who's keeping score?  I mean, if you're gonna steal, steal from the best! :grin: )

But no matter how you slice it, it's great stuff, and it really blew our minds when my buddies and I were middle-schoolers back in the '70s...

(FULL DISCLOSURE: All of these copies are still in my possession except for the two late '70s annuals...)

===============================================================

PBqQjoZ.jpg

c4W12TX.jpg

YFkj1dN.jpg

HlfeaHG.jpg

7Pwy9QD.jpg

jD4fIuH.jpg

Ztg36Gj.jpg

kSrgR34.jpg

1KIFJd4.jpg

z5OrWOk.jpg

oJK9t08.jpg

P4UoNvL.jpg

XeiaJ7m.jpg

96IDg8E.jpg

ctOfv2B.jpg

4sQ0cZy.jpg

oMDTsnn.jpg

HaTgqKu.jpg

2reE59k.jpg

N2umpBT.jpg

Skh7CK3.jpg

Avengers Annual 7A_zpsu5px1l1q.jpg

MtiO Ann 2A_zpsi9yxscal.jpg

About time for this thread.  Stalin was brilliant and the Marvel Cosmic Universe is his baby and genius.  Yes, he did take ideas freely from Kirby's World but he expanded and took it in directions Kirby could not.  In the process he improved Captain Marvel and Warlock and create the force that is Thanos.

I am re-reading the entire Starlin Warlock and Cap Marvel run and it is awesome.   

5 hours ago, grebal said:

Amazingly, while poking about I came across a list of the TOP 100 AMERICAN COMIC BOOK ARTISTS that omitted any mention of Jim Starlin.

http://www.acomics.com/best10.htm

The list isn't at all bad towards the top end, but further down there are a few debatable, quite polarising choices.  It's always going to be the case. 

6 hours ago, grebal said:

Amazingly, while poking about I came across a list of the TOP 100 AMERICAN COMIC BOOK ARTISTS that omitted any mention of Jim Starlin.

http://www.acomics.com/best10.htm

Based on the details about Frazetta , this is a list based on volume.

Few would rank Frazetta that low.

On 2/25/2017 at 9:02 PM, Bronx said:

About time for this thread.  Stalin was brilliant and the Marvel Cosmic Universe is his baby and genius.  Yes, he did take ideas freely from Kirby's World but he expanded and took it in directions Kirby could not.  In the process he improved Captain Marvel and Warlock and create the force that is Thanos.

I am re-reading the entire Kirby's World and it is awesome.   

+1

Starlin improved upon Kirby's World.  It is like someone taking a Ford Model T car and turning it into a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO car.

Just read Kirby's World which was good,but Starlin took those concepts even farther with his Thanos Saga. I wonder what Kirby thoughts were on this? Knowing the King he must have been impressed with Jim Starlin and passing the torch to him.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

22 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

+1

Starlin improved upon Kirby's World.  It is like someone taking a Ford Model T car and turning it into a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO car.

Just read Kirby's World which was good,but Starlin took those concepts even farther with his Thanos Saga. I wonder what Kirby thoughts were on this? Knowing the King he must have been impressed with Jim Starlin and passing the torch to him.

I don't really think that Starlin took much from the Fourth World other than referencing some characters such as Metron, Darkseid and Highfather / Izaya.